Options

Stereo Issue

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

I have been getting settled into my new T@b and have come across an issue with the TV/stereo set up. When I plug into HDMI, there is a loud hum through the stereo. I have tried a couple of different HDMI cables and do 't think that is the issue. It seems as though there is a change, although it never stops, when I wiggle to the red and black wires going into the bottom of the TV.

I know I can take it back to the dealer, but that is a 3 1/2 hour drive, each way, so if there is something I can do myself, I would like to give it a try. Any ideas?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited June 2014
    Here's an article that might shed some light on your problem.  

Are there other cables plugged into the TV/stereo besides the HDMI cable?   It sounds similar to this guys issue and you might need to go to a place like Radio Shack or look on-line and find an inline filter to ferret out this problem?  

This is the one the guy installed.....

Here are three options that could potentially solve your issue and the one (shown above) in the article costs over $50, but the second choice looks like something I might consider if I had this issue.

Good luck and hope this helps solve your problem Jenn!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Jenn -- My TV has red & black wires that plug into the left side of the TV near the bottom.  I believe they are the cable hookups.  Try unplugging them completely and unscrew the coaxial cable.  Then turn your TV and stereo on to see if it still hums.  If it does not hum, possibly the problem lies in the cable connection.

Maybe the plugs are not making a good connection.  Try dampening the ends of the plugs (turn all power off before doing this), and then reinsert the plugs. Worth a try before spending $$ on an inline filter. 

:-?
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options

Thanks, Beth and Mike. I suspect the article Mike links to is correct as the hum is limited to HDMI, and not the other inputs. My work-around is a stereo headphone cable from the HDMI device (tablet) to the Jensen stereo.

I may get a filter, eventually.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I sent a note on to the factory and they suggested contacting the product vendor ASA.  Their techs should be able to help you out and are evidently pretty good at resolving these types of issues:   

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thanks, Mike, you rock!

• Options
    I called ASA. They were very kind and helpful. The tech wondered if there was a ground loop somewhere and also mentioned the filter. I will eventually pull the unit out and check the wiring. Maybe this weekend.