Options

Maiden Voyage sooner than expected

db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
With the mild temperatures here in the PNW this week, and the skiing conditions suffering from it, decided to de-winterize the T@B and go camping.  Flushed the water tanks, sanitized, and took off Saturday morning for Silver Falls State Park in Oregon.  Got there around noon,  backed into a campsite, leveled it on one block, hooked up the electric, and bam we were done. Took longer to go pay the camping fee than set up camp.  We changed clothes and took off for a 10 mile hike that goes by at least 10 big waterfalls, and numerous small ones.  Started raining about 20 minutes before we got back to the T@B.  Very nice to return to a warm camper, take a shower, crack a cold one and listen to the rain on the roof.  :)   Spectacular hike, probably one of the most popular in Oregon,  as it was pretty busy on this February day. 

Towing with the Xterra was pretty good,  first time to really drive it with the Prodigy brake controller except for my setup runs the day before.  Really makes it feel like I'm just braking the Xterra as it normally would brake by itself.  I could really tell a difference from when I towed it home the first time without a brake controller.   The trailer brakes feel pretty weak,  but they get the job done.  I drove the speed limit both ways,  70mph for a good portion.  I-5 is pretty hilly but I could still go 70 up all of the hills, transmission would just drop to 4th.  Kept it in drive most of the time,  transmission didn't have any issues hunting for gears.  It does have a transmission cooler installed.

Only a couple of issues,  one of the little led sconces at the back fell off on the drive there and cracked.  If anyone has replaced theirs or know where we can get a replacement please let me know.  And the gray water cap broke when I put it back on,  probably just cheap plastic.

I've read all the winterizing instructions,  but I'm still a bit unsure if I did it exactly right.  I don't want to add antifreeze to the freshwater system, so I went with the blow out plug.   I drained all the water from both the Alde and the freshwater under the door step before we drove home.  With the Alde back in winterize mode,  I ran the water pump until the gurgling stopped, with all of the faucets open,  flushed until no more water.  Then I hooked up the blow out plug and ran air until nothing but air came out.    I poured a bit of RV antifreeze in the toilet, shower, and sink.   I'm thinking with PEX piping and the mild winter temps we typically have that this should be sufficient.  I want to be able to winterize and dewinterize fairly quickly, since we may use the camper most months of the year.  

I read that someone had a problem with the knife valves for the gray and black water freezing,  but I don't know how you'd winterize those, and I don't want to leave them open in my driveway. :blush:

All in all, very happy with how the trip went.  Got us out of the house on a rainy weekend, so that's a good thing. :)

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Sounds like a great first trip out.  It is really nice to be able to set camp up in under five minutes.  This last trip I just leveled the trailer and put out a step stool and that was it, done!

The lamp may be covered under warranty, it should not just fall off like that under normal conditions.  Give your dealer a call about it.

I don't know enough about winterizing the Alde, but everything else sounds solid to me.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Light fixture - As Cyclonic advises, if under warranty I'd check with either your dealer or call Ed at the factory. Otherwise, you can order a new one from Elsie at the factory or, Jenn found them on eBay... http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2462/can-the-reading-lights-bulbs-be-replaced#latest
    Dump Valves - New covers can be found at any RV dealer or probably even Walmart. As far as preventing freezing, put the covers on, open the valves and poor some antifreeze down both the toilet and either sink or shower - make sure you poor enough so it overflows the trap. Close valves and do the same. You'll end up with antifreeze on both sides of the valve.
  • Options
    No warranty,  bought used.  Looks like the lights are already discontinued.  Hope we can find a new frosted globe.   Got an inquiry in to the factory.

Thanks for the tips on the dump valves.  Guess I'll need to buy RV antifreeze in bulk if we use it much in winter time.

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    db (love the nickname)...where'd you camp?  Near Multnomah?  We have good friends that retired in Waldport and would love an extended trip on the coast.  I've been to Portland and the Gorge area many times...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    DurangoTaB,

We were down south about 25 miles west of Salem.    Done a bit of hiking around Multnomah in the past,   The Eagle Creek area has a lot of waterfalls nearby, but this Silver Falls hike was better.  Of course, with all the rain we've had,  there's waterfalls in a bunch of places that normally don't have them right now. :anguished: