Options

How do you replace brake light bulbs?

On our trip last week we noticed that half the bulbs on the back, right brake light were out. Our t@b is only about six months old!  Does anyone know how to replace the bulbs?

Comments

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    The same thing happened to our brand new Tab last summer. The plant sent me a new one right away, and I was hoping that it would be an easy plug and play installation. I should have know better! We were getting ready to embark on a three week journey, so instead of taking it to the factory or dealer, both about 250 miles away. I hired my handyman to install it for me. He ended up taking parts from the new one and replacing them in the old one to get it to work. You might be better at doing this type of think than I, and may have no problem replacing it. Another Tabber in Columbus, Ohio, had to take his back to his dealer because his did the same thing. Good luck!
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    Thanks for the advice.  I was hoping it would be as easy as replacing a brake light bulb in a car, but it sounds like it may be more of a challenge than that.  Once the cover comes off, are there individual bulbs in the light assembly or is it one complete set?  I tried to find something on YouTube about this, but I guess there's not enough t@b owners out there to motivate someone to post something. 
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Everyone probably knows this already but ... With LED lights, there is no bulb, it's an electronic component (light emmitting diode) on a circuit board so - usually - it's not like pulling out a bulb and plugging in a new one. If you remove the globe from your interior light and look up inside you can see what one looks like.
  • Options
    So the brake light is a single LED assembly?  I was wondering about that.  I guess I just need to buy the whole light set.  I thought I saw it for sale in Camping World.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Mike_in_AtlantaMike_in_Atlanta Member Posts: 17
    I am surprised no one has spoken up on replacing the bulb.  I do not have a T@B but I am pretty sure the tail light on my LG Rascal is the same - see photo below.   It is a standard truck/trailer light and can be found in most auto parts stores for about $8.  It is held in place in a rubber gasket.  To remove it you should be able to push one side in until it passes out of the grommet, then you work it the rest of the way out (I think some people have used a screw driver but that may damage the grommet).  There is  plug that connects to the light. simply unplug from the old one and connect to the new one.  Installing the new might be easier if you use some soapy water to lubricate the gasket.  Of course I learned all this the hard way when both of my taillights filled with water on my first long trip. 

Some more replacement information can be found here: http://www.golittleguy.com/forum#/discussion/comment/16331

mike

• Options
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I think there are not more comments because so few have had issues with the LED lights.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Thanks for the photos and advice, but my t@b has a rectangular light set up with running and brake lights.  However, you might be right about this being an easy process.  I'll have to check out the camper and see if the light set just pops right out.
  • Options
    hunter99hunter99 Member Posts: 45
    Was at the local RV show yesterday and 2 t@b's both had led's out in the tail lights.
  • Options
    TomStephens1 - Show us a pic.
  • Options
    hunter99hunter99 Member Posts: 45
    TomStephens1 I am guessing you have a clamshell?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Part of my right rear tail light is out, but less than the last time I towed it last week. On a whim, I blew into the T@B's 7-pin connector. More lights are lit today. I want to pick up a can of compressed air to blow the sand/dust out of the connecter. It's worth a try.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I have a 2013 that had standard bulbs in the lights.  I replaced the entire light assembly with one that had LED bulbs.

The fixture was hard wired, not connected with a plug.  There was not much wire to work with and I was unable to pull any extra out.  Made it very difficult to reconnect.  If you have to replace the entire fixture and find the same situation, I suggest you cut the wires as close to the fixture as possible so you will have enough to reconnect.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    For the old style lights here is some info I had over on the LG forum....  I lost photos when Vanilla changed their format but this will help with the older style fixture.

1.jpg 39.2K
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    edited December 2022
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/53/#Comment_53

Here is a link to a changeout that Cyclonic (Nathan) did.  Not sure how relevant it is to the original question in this thread, but it is a very good and detailed post on changing out old style to new LED fixtures.  It is pretty much the process I did when I changed mine.  I think there was more to the discussion, or maybe more in another thread, but I was unable to find it.  I think maybe the cyber zombies ate it during the Vanilla switch.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    It works!  If a few pf the LED bulbs do not work on your brake light, try using compressed air or small blasts from your air compressor to blow out dust, dirt or moisture. All of my bulbs are now working in my right rear tail light of the T@B!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks.  I'll give it a shot, but I'm not sure how to remove the light assembly. It's probably easier than I think it is.
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    On my T@B Outback I bought last July, both LED tail lights need to be replaced.
     Little Guy sent me two new ones.  Only about 6 LEDs working on each.  

<RANT ON>
    What a disaster install from the factory, very disappointed on the design.  Silicon glue of some sort holds the light housing to the outside molding/housing.  They also set a couple small screws into the led mount to hold the LED housing into the light housing.  Ok, horrible explanation of how this goes together.  The screws probably came into contact with the LED circuitry.  Not enough wire to pull light out so have to cut the wire from the inside. They used the not so reliable wire clips.  Not a plug-n-play swap.  Know I have to rethink how to attached the LED housing to the outer molding/housing.   

All I have to say is that Little Guy did a complete hack job on designing the tail light mount.  I do not even think they thought it through.
    </RANT OFF>

I will post up a how-to with photos once I figure out this mess.  Glad I did not take it to a local dealer to fix.  Who knows how it would have came out.  Besides, I do not know if I have a local dealer anymore.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    I need to replace one, too.  I wonder how complicated it is and where I might purchase one. I would rather do it myself.  The dealer is an hour and half away.  Let me know how it goes.
    Thanks!
    Tom
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Verna said:
    It works!  If a few pf the LED bulbs do not work on your brake light, try using compressed air or small blasts from your air compressor to blow out dust, dirt or moisture. All of my bulbs are now working in my right rear tail light of the T@B!
    I had high hopes for your idea Verna.  But no luck.  I still only have 7-8 bulbs working.

I read something about spraying dielectric silicone grease in the camper 7 pin connector.....
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6 said:
    Verna said:
    I had high hopes for your idea Verna.  But no luck.  I still only have 7-8 bulbs working.

I read something about spraying dielectric silicone grease in the camper 7 pin connector.....
    @TerryV6, my right rear light is just strange!  As soon as I got back into humidity (spent most of 3 months in AZ and Southern CA), the light started working normally.

I do have a can of the QD Electronic Cleaner. It "cleans and protects sensitive electronic equipment, helps prevent contact failure, plastic safe and leaves no residue".   I haven 't used it yet, but will keep it with me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Safe to spray in the pin connector?
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    "Directions: 1. DO NOT APPLY WHILE EQUIPMENT IS ENERGIZED".
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I was thinking of the camper connector, and for safety sake, I'd do a battery disconnect.  
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Off to the store tomorrow...
    I saw this product at the Home Depot...

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-5103-Quick-Electronic-Cleaner/dp/B000BXOGNI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467250137&sr=8-1&keywords=qd+electronics+cleaner

If if I did it wrong, you'll see a small article in the paper about an explosion and fire in the Appleton area... Grin
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Opps... That wasn't meant as an advert posting.. If so... Sorry..
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6 said:
    Off to the store tomorrow...
    I saw this product at the Home Depot...

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-5103-Quick-Electronic-Cleaner/dp/B000BXOGNI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467250137&sr=8-1&keywords=qd+electronics+cleaner

If if I did it wrong, you'll see a small article in the paper about an explosion and fire in the Appleton area... Grin
    That's what I purchased. I'm familiar with the CRC brand and figured I couldn't go wrong. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Well,  no luck with spray.  My wife thinks it's the bulb.   We will have to contact the company., I guess.   Jody said we should also check on a venting fan kit.   Oh well..  Having a cupa at a campsite and reading the Sign of Four... Looks like murder,  Watson! 
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Just an update:  I was contacted by Ed, and he is sending out a replacement light, with a recommendation that I go my dealer.  Not sure I want to go there, but I'll do a search for another to do it.  I also asked about the fridge fan and he said 2016 models have a switch on the right side of the panel.  I sent him a copy of my title showing I had a 2016 with no switch.  He is sending along a fan as well, along with instructions and a video link...  Way to go LG!
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Ed's a great guy from my experience.