Options

Norcold on propane?

2»

Comments

• Options
    EWizardEWizard Member Posts: 106
    That worries me a little.  The previous owner had supposedly changed out the converter a few years back.
    Are these still available if that does end up being the issue?
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    My comment above was in regards to Jenn saying the converter might be going bad.
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I wouldn't put non-AGM batteries inside the vehicle, but that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I agree with mash2. I hated the taste of those wet batteries at the phone company as I performed my monthly voltage tests.....can still taste it. I don't want those type of batteries near me while I'm sleeping. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I just had the battery tested that was in the T@B when I purchased it, and it was toast.
    It wasn't even a deep cycle battery to begin with...
    Instead of going ahead with the dual T105 setup, I decided to replace it with another deep cycle group 24 battery (for now).
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Glad you got to the bottom of it!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited February 2016
    EWizard said:

We are going on our first camping outing in about 3 weeks, so I need to find out if the 7 way plug is supplying current to the house battery.  If it is, then I should be able to set the fridge to run on the battery while we're driving.
    Have you determined whether or not you have a dedicated power feed to the 7-way harness at the back of your tow vehicle?  There should be a fused line running from the battery to the back of the vehicle.  

It's easy enough to find out:

1.  With trailer isolated from the vehicle - measure the voltage on the battery via an LED volt meter or similar meter.
    2.  Hook the trailer wiring harness up to your vehicle, start the vehicle and measure the battery voltage at the trailer.  You should see a significant rise in voltage (13V+) if the vehicle alternator is charging back to the trailer.

And yes, others have mounted the AGM batteries inside the trailers without any issues.  I had a friend who built a small storage rack with slide brackets in his camper and was using two AGM's to power an inverter and run all the electrical components in his rig.  He even had a satellite dish and was watching his Laker's games from the AZ desert!  

Tough life, but someone has to do it!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    That's the long term plan.  I have not checked whether I'm getting any charging from the tow vehicle when the harness is connected but that is the next thing I'm going to check.
    Thanks for the info everyone.
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    edited February 2016
    EWizard said:
    <snip>
    We are going on our first camping outing in about 3 weeks, so I need to find out if the 7 way plug is supplying current to the house battery.  
    Here is the 7-pin wiring diagram for the socket on the tow vehicle.

I use a 12 volt circuit tester like this to check for hot wires.  Put the clip on a good ground on the TV and then put the probe in each of the connector pin-out holes as you test each pin out.  e.g. turn on the right turn signal and put the probe in 3, etc. Number 1 should be your charging pin-out. If the pin-out is hot the light in the handle of the tester lights up.

Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Is #1 the one that should energize the battery charger on the T@B?
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    edited February 2016
    EWizard said:
    Is #1 the one that should energize the battery charger on the T@B?
    Yes, #1 is the pin-out that should charge the battery (assuming the 7-pin socket is wired to the standard.)
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Figured when you mentioned a "starter battery" that that was going to be the problem :-(