Options

Norcold on propane?

EWizardEWizard Member Posts: 106
What's the trick to lighting the Norcold 3 way on propane?
I just filled up the propane tank, and the stove runs fine.
Is there a trick to it?  I turned the dial to "start" and I am holding the button down for 30 seconds and the green light never comes on.
Any ideas?
This is a 2005 T@B.  
2005 T@B U model

Comments

• Options
    I just put a voltage meter on my house battery, and it looks like it's a goner.  11.4 volts.
    Either my car is not charging the battery when it's being towed or it's losing charge and needs to be replaced.
    I did get the furnace to come on!
    Am I assuming correctly that there needs to be at least 12V power when using the Norcold on propane?
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Light the stove first to clear any air bubbles in the line. Then go through the procedure of holding the button until it lights. Mine normally only takes 30 to 40 seconds, but depending on your altitude, it can take a minute or more. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Does the green light turn on when the flame comes on?  And is the piezo lighter powered by 12V?
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    Yay, after charging the battery for a bit I was able to get the fridge started on propane.
    So far, it's staying lit.  Testing the highest setting now.
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Cool - Glad you got it - Yep, does require some 12v juice.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Also...be sure you're level, esp front to back

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    DurangoTaB - Hmmmm, I find left/right level the more critical one - But, I'm usually level front/back so might not have noticed.
  • Options
    The green light has been on for a couple of hours this evening and it doesn't seem to be getting cold very quickly.
    I have the dial set to the highest setting of 5.
    Is it an overnight kind of thing?
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    Thank you Jenn, very helpful blog post!

2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Jenn, could you put a pdf version to download on your blog? It's an excellent post!! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2016
    Thanks for the good information.  I note that you talked about a freezer section.  My 3-way Norcold doesn't have a freezer section, is that a newer feature?
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2016
    Good write-up Jenn!

What freezer?  :o
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    The previous owner of mine says that if you put food near the aluminum fins, the food will freeze.
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ChanW said:
    Good write-up Jenn!

What freezer?  :o
    That little top shelf in mine keeps everything frozen.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Whoa nelly. 
    I charged my battery to full with my battery tender yesterday (~12.4 volts), then started my propane stove last night at 6pm.
    This morning I checked the fridge and the can I put in there was definitely cold.  Yay!
    But the voltage on my battery was 8.3 volts.  I was like whaaaat!  :o
    I'm guessing this battery is just super old and worn out.  What do you all think?
    Does the fridge on propane really use that much power from the battery?
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,505
    I was under the impression that a battery tender was for the purpose of maintaining a FULL battery.  Maybe should have charged via shore power.  Also, won't the battery monitor reflect the amperage of the current when connected to the tender, rather than reflect the actual battery charge?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    EWizard said:
    Whoa nelly. 
    I charged my battery to full with my battery tender yesterday (~12.4 volts), then started my propane stove last night at 6pm.
    This morning I checked the fridge and the can I put in there was definitely cold.  Yay!
    But the voltage on my battery was 8.3 volts.  I was like whaaaat!  :o
    I'm guessing this battery is just super old and worn out.  What do you all think?
    Does the fridge on propane really use that much power from the battery?
    You mention starting the propane stove.  Did you just light it to be sure the propane line was clear of air and then turned the stove off?

Can you take a picture of the front of the Norcold control panel and post it here?  Not all Norcolds are three-way - perhaps yours is only 12 volt (battery) and 120 volt (shore power.)

What are you using to measure the battery voltage?  A reading of 8.3 is a very unusual reading on a 12v battery.  A flat 12v battery is 12.0 volts.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    It's definitely a 3 way model.  I can see the flame when looking underneath the unit.
    I measured the voltage on the battery with my digital multi meter with the battery tender not hooked up to it.
    In fact, I unhooked the battery tender when I started the fridge last night at 6pm.
    So it was running on battery/propane all night.
    I was in a hurry this morning before work so I may have not gotten my leads connected very well on the battery.  I'll check again this evening when I'm home.

Surely the battery draw is not that significant when the fridge is running on propane.
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    Mercator said:
     Can you take a picture of the front of the Norcold control panel and post it here?  Not all Norcolds are three-way - perhaps yours is only 12 volt (battery) and 120 volt (shore power.)

What are you using to measure the battery voltage?  A reading of 8.3 is a very unusual reading on a 12v battery.  A flat 12v battery is 12.0 volts.
    Agree - make sure on LP, not battery. Also, might be worth pulling the battery and taking to Autozone to have them test it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Good point Jenn.
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    If I am wrong, can someone please correct my understanding of the propane system (if it is similar to the system on my boat) the battery is an integral part of the system as it opens a solenoid on a valve that allows the propane to flow.  In addition, for the removal of heat around the Norcold there is also a 12volt fan.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Mercator said:
    If I am wrong, can someone please correct my understanding of the propane system (if it is similar to the system on my boat) the battery is an integral part of the system as it opens a solenoid on a valve that allows the propane to flow.  In addition, for the removal of heat around the Norcold there is also a 12volt fan.
    Yes, you need battery for the fridge to work, but it takes very little. However, if the Norcold does not detect adequate voltage, it won't start and it will shut off if the battery gets too low. Yes, there is also a 12v fan built into into the Norcold. In addition, newer LG T@bs have a secondary fan to help with heat trapped under the counter.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Jenn, are the Norcolds in the 2005 Dutchman T@B different from those from today, 2015/16?  EWizard does have a 2005 T@B. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Jenn, are the Norcolds in the 2005 Dutchman T@B different from those from today, 2015/16?  EWizard does have a 2005 T@B. 

Good question and I don't know, but if they are, I wouldn't be surprised if they were essentially the same. Truthfully, I think that the model in the T@bs has been a pretty popular model in trailers, in general,  and not just T@bs and has remained essentially the same for quite q while from what I have read.

@EWizarddo you have a model # for your Norcold?

• Options
    The Norcold in my 2005 is very similar in function to the Dometic that I used to have in a Westfalia I used to have.  Good to know the 12V draw is minimal.

The guy I bought my T@B from did not use it to camp off the grid.  He always wen't places that had hookups, so this battery is probably not in the best shape.

We are going on our first camping outing in about 3 weeks, so I need to find out if the 7 way plug is supplying current to the house battery.  If it is, then I should be able to set the fridge to run on the battery while we're driving.

This is actually pretty fun figuring how all this stuff works.   =)
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    EWizard said:
    This is actually pretty fun figuring how all this stuff works.   =)
    Great attitude!

• Options
    I'd check the battery. 

First be sure the battery's water is topped up (use distilled).

Charge it fully with shore power (overnight at least, 24 hours better).

Disconnect the shore power, then isolate the battery from the Tab by removing the online fuse on the battery cable (or disconnect the cable).

Let it sit an hour then check the voltage, then let it sit overnight and check the voltage again.

It ought to stay about the same overnight. Otherwise you've got a bad battery.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I just removed the battery because I was getting some weird readings on voltage.  The battery in there is a starting battery which looks to be pretty old.
    I'm going to go to the local auto parts store and have the battery tested.
    What are your thoughts on having Non-AGM batteries in the cabin?
    I would like to put a couple of those 6V T105's next to the axles inside the cabin.
    I had a Vanagon for years that had the starting battery and the house batteries all under the front seats (in the cabin - non vented) and never had any issues with fumes and such.

2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    Weird voltage can also be a sign of a failing converter. It wouldnt hurt to get it tested.

• Options
    ChanW said:
    I'd check the battery. 

First be sure the battery's water is topped up (use distilled).

Charge it fully with shore power (overnight at least, 24 hours better).

Disconnect the shore power, then isolate the battery from the Tab by removing the online fuse on the battery cable (or disconnect the cable).

Let it sit an hour then check the voltage, then let it sit overnight and check the voltage again.

It ought to stay about the same overnight. Otherwise you've got a bad battery.
    or, instead of all that, take it to a shop... B-)

They say a pair of 6v golf cart batteries, max size that will fit, are the way to go.

Vented is probably 'safest', but like you say, many flooded batteries are non-vented. Maybe 'air circulation' around it would be plenty enough.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya