Options

Extended warranty?

we were offered extended warranty for 5 years that looks comprehensive for not much added to payments.  I know this is a personal decision, but what do you experienced folks think?  This is Elite coverage from Preseve.  Never heard of them.  We used to be under Good Sam with other RV and it was a comfort to have it.  Thoughts?
B@t T@b, the 2016 Max S Outback, pulled by Bane, the 2014 Honda Ridgeline.

Comments

• Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    I see a lot of things that could go wrong in three or four years particularly the Alde heater and Norcold refrigerator. We live in an era where nothing is repaired and everything is thrown away at the first sign of trouble. I choose to buy an extended warranty.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited February 2016
    For me personally I have always gone with the warranty "offered up front" (the one year warranty) and have never paid for any extended warranty offered.  I normally put a new product to good use and ferret things out in the first year or so.  In regards to the major auto manufacturers it seems that they go above and beyond to get you to buy their extended warranty and it becomes a point of contention (irritation/nuisance) after multiple phone calls, me refusing their extended offers and even after personally asking them to remove me from their call listing.  

Like anything else, if you can afford it and it doesn't impact you financially you might go with an extended warranty if it gives you that peace of mind.  My luck tends to be pretty good and I do maintain my trailer as best I can so I have never paid out the additional money for any of these warranties.  I would much rather invest in a good towing policy and knowing that should I break down out in the hinterlands, 2K miles from home I will at least be able to get my vehicle and trailer back to the repair shop and off the side of the road.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Ramrod said:
    I see a lot of things that could go wrong in three or four years particularly the Alde heater and Norcold refrigerator. We live in an era where nothing is repaired and everything is thrown away at the first sign of trouble. I choose to buy an extended warranty.
    A lot of those things have warranties that go beyond 1 year.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    You might search "extended warranty" as there's been a couple threads on this topic.
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    From what I have read in a "leading consumer magazine", extended warranties are a waste of money and nothing more than a profit booster for the dealer.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V