Options

I need with hitch coupler on trailer!

XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
edited September 2017 in Trailer & Towing
I have towed this thing several times now, and I still cannot find a definitive answer on how this sliding ball cover thingy works. No travel trailer videos have this, and I seem to stumble luckily on it hitching. I would love a clear "how to" on whether the cover needs to be pulled all the way back, pulled forward, or in the middle when trying to get it locked onto the tow ball.
LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 

Comments

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    OK... I will answer my own question LOL. Basically, slide the coupler back, lower the trailer but be damned sure that there isn't weight against the inner rear side of the opening, or it's not going to slide forward! Afterwords, slide the cover mechanism forward.

This hitch doesn't lift and pop down... it is a "posilock" type jobby that has a locking tab that moves forward under the ball.

I've not used one like this, and I never (before tonight, in my loading rage) took the time to explore precisely how it works.

Sorry for the rambling rant, ;)
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    I totally understand your confusion.  I couldn't even get the coupler unhitched when I towed it home from the dealership and had to call them back to ask instructions.  =))  I now know how to operate it, and also found that spraying the moving components with a silicone water resistant spray helped it to slide easier.  Glad you figured it out! :D
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Speaking of water tanks, here is a cheap means of filling your water tanks via a piece of garden hose.  Cut off the male end of an old hose and it can be easily inserted into the filler tube.....  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I hear you ion the coupler. Not understanding how it works is what led me to getting into trouble with my tongue jack. I thought my hitch was stuck on the ball. It was not stuck, I had neverf moved the coupler back to release it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Helloo Everyone,
    I feel your hitchy bitchy pain. I have had the hitch (of a jetski trailer) bounce right off of the ball when I thought it was very secure. Always always make sure your safety chains are in the right place and are in good shape. All that held my trailer on and kept from killing everyone behind me was the safety chains. Ask someone who knows what the heck they are doing how your safety chains should look, where they should connect and how much slack they need. I always pull over and bounce the hitch up and down and re check the safety chains for a last safety check, after I have hooked up and driven over a few dips and bumps before I hit the freeway or main roads. Tow smart ladies!
    The Mouse house and me