Options

RV GPS or skip and use a regular auto one?

I know there have been discussions on GPS devices (and I know one cannot rely solely on one) - my question is - do those of you who use one, is the RV specific kinds worth the extra cost over a regular one?  Can an auto one (for instance, Garmin 2797 LMT or one of the other types) give you campground info (I know POI files can be added on some models)? I have several apps on my phone to find camping places --- so those how use a GPS are there many pros to getting the RV specific brand?? Thanks!
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited March 2016
    I've got a Garmin - It's been stored under the seat for over a year - Use my phone and iPad, they get constant updates where the dedicated ones don't on any kind of regular basis - the ones built into vehicles are the worst (Jeep wanted $200+ to update theirs)
    Am interested if anyone has a good POI app - Between Allstays and UltimateCG, camping areas are covered but I don't have a good app for stops along the way - Even though a lot are shown if you zoom into most maps.
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    PXL - I don't want to rely on my data plan. My truck didn't come with anything so this would be a separate device. Which Garmin did you get (there seems to be a "zillion" models, making a decision difficult)!

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Michele - From my experience... A lot of the apps have built-in maps (UltimateCG, ScenicMaps for instance) so unlike Google Maps etc, they don't rely on retrieving data except when the app is updated. You can actually turn data off and still use them. Most do however need data turned on to retrieve satellite view unless you pre-cache that.
  • Options
    Ah,,,did not know that! Think I'll experiment with my phone by turning off data and see what happens. Good to know. Just for the heck of it, though - which Garmin did you get?

• Options
    Which Garmin? Can't recall and it's buried too deep to check :-(
    The models change so often knowing the model probably wouldn't help much now. - I used it more to identify lat/long data for my images than for travel.
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    PX: For location data you might check the Quickgets Geo app.  It gives coordinates, altitude, heading, address, speed and allows quick save to notes or transmit by email.  
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I recommend Garmin. Get one with free map updates, otherwise the updates are expensive. I have a Nuvi 1490LMT, a few years old but still works great. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Some of the RV GPS' are similar to semi-trucks. They avoid low bridges, parkways and places where are load, height and weight limits. Is that what you mean?
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Michelle, I have the Garmin nuvi 50LM.  I think this model's latest is the 54LM.  Love it.  Would be lost without it (so to speak).  You can download all kinds of custom POIs (Points of Interest), like camping, truck stops, Wal-Marts, gas stations...any place an RV might want to stop.  If you decide on a Garmin, PM me and I can steer you to the Garmin POI website.  Invaluable on how to use almost any model Garmin.

I have apps on my phone, but don't ever use them.  Like the Garmin better.

Here is a link to a web site that does a side-by-side comparison of Garmins.

http://gpstracklog.com/compare/garmin-nuvi-comparison-chart

I don't think you need a dedicated RV GPS as you can configure all that specialized information to show up on a regular one usually.  The RV ones, as Ratkity says, are normally aimed at larger Rvs.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I use my Garmin Nuvi 52, but it was outdated when I bought it. I bought lifetime map updates and that is the key to keeping one for a few years. I use the Garmin to get from point a to
    point b, and I use Allstays to find campgrounds. Sometimes I use Apple maps for grocery abd shopping, sometimes I use the Garmin. Personally, our T@Bs aren't tall enough, nor heavy enough to warrant the "Big Boy" Garmins. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Michele - Any POI file you can download to a GPS, you can download to your iPhone. There's an app called POIviewer that will load/display downloaded POIs - I have the T@B dealers POI loaded.
    GilButler - I have a couple apps for that. Tis why my GPS unit is buryed deep. Plus, if you have location turned on for the iPhone camera, it will record lat/long so I usualy just take a shot with that and transfer the location data to my other pics.

As you can probably tell, I'm not of the dedicated GPS mind when one is already carrying a GPS (smart phone) ;-)
  • Options
    I do appreciate all the responses. PXL - at lunch I turned off my data and opened one of the camping apps. It showed some campsites but the map didn't show up. I'm sure part of it is "operator error" -  my major concern is still how much data might be used as I don't have much to start with like some folks. Will try to learn more about the iPhone but may like a stand alone gps unit as well. Decisions, decisions!

• Options
    Try different apps and see which work without a data connection. Another trick is to load up your trip, explore it while sitting with wifi and the app will probably cache the map.
    ScenicMap has everything built in it seems.
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2016
    I do appreciate all the responses. PXL - at lunch I turned off my data and opened one of the camping apps. It showed some campsites but the map didn't show up. I'm sure part of it is "operator error" -  my major concern is still how much data might be used as I don't have much to start with like some folks. Will try to learn more about the iPhone but may like a stand alone gps unit as well. Decisions, decisions!
    I use a Garmin product on my iPhone called Navigon - N. America. (It is available for Android as well.) You purchase it once and the maps are updated regularly for free.  It will give you turn-by-turn directions to your destination. To save space on your device, you can download (over wifi) only the state/province maps that you need and add others if you are planning a longer trip.  It will be able to access your Contacts for navigation.  As well, apps like POIView that have been mentioned can access Navigon for navigation purposes too.

There are other options that you can purchase separately - like traffic updates, but aren't necessary.  
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    mick, as someone who uses ArcGIS a lot (I work with global maps with specific layers - think customized and huge GPS), many of the base maps in programs are so big, that the details are server-based. You know you are in a particular state in X county and near a major interstate, but if I put in a specific decimal gps coordinate, all details get blurry at the local road level. Google maps does this as well. It wouldn't surprise me that phone apps would use this strategy. There's a reason why your built-in vehicle maps or even those little Garmins make you specify what continent you want. It wasn't too long ago, when I had to chose between Eastern N. America or Western in a GPS unit (can't rem the brand). 

You can chose to be very careful and check out some of the things PXL suggested while on airplane mode (I don't trust some apps NOT to use data even when I chose for them to not to...). Or... get a gps unit and not worry.

As everyone else, I've had great experience with Garmin. If you are that limited on your data plan, I'd probably invest in a decent AUTO Garmin. Just watch parking lots/garages that have that big yellow bar giving the height limit for your vehicle while towing lol. That's probably the only place I could think of that you'd have any restrictions for height (other than fast food drive-thrus) while pulling a T@B.

Don't laugh about forgetting you are pulling a tiny camper while hungry. I forgot I had the old popup behind my big old 94 Chevy truck and went through a McD's drive-thru (in the late 90s). Fortunately, this was before the hairpin drive-thrus and especially waaaaaay before video phones and cameras!!! In addition, there was no vehicle ahead or behind me and I was able to back up a bit and then jump the truck over the curb to avoid the camper wiping out the take-out menu sign. LOL. The camper gods were good to me that ONE time. Phew. Sorta like forgetting you have your bicycles on a roof rack and going into your garage (no, I haven't - don't have a garage lol).

Lots of good app suggestions here though. Thanks all for input!! I'm gonna check them out. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    That's some story :)   Won't worry about height unless it were a parking lot/garage - I stay away from fast food places. From all the responses of folks who use a Garmin, I'm taking away that I don't need an rv-specific unit --- that's what my original question was about as I still intend to use paper maps and phone apps (like Verna is using). Thanks!

• Options
    mick, one other thing. There are several mistakes in many GPS devices and there are some destinations that route a person through non-vehicle friendly (forget camper friendly) roads. Friend of mine in Wyoming lives near one of those roads, but I lost the jpg he sent me of the sign that was put up because so many people have gotten stuck. So, in the end, you can't go wrong with paper maps augmented with phone apps.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ha! I'd love to see that sign!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya