Options

First mini trip

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
edited October 2014 in Camping & Travel

I took my first mini trip with W@goneer this weekend and it was all positive. I dint actually camp (dog wouldn't tolerate) but set it up a couple of times.

I learned I can move the T@b around on flat ground on pavement. I would be afraid to do so on a slope as I think it would be too likely that it would become too much for me. I can set up and break down in under 10 minutes but backing out took a lot longer, sadly. I have watched the videos and did improve some on practicing, I just need a little more practice. It is all a matter of getting used to how hard to crank the wheels and how slowly to ease out of turning them.

I have a driver side detachable mirror on my Jeep and I might put a passenger side mirror on, too. That mirror was a huge help.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Jenn -- I have trouble backing the T@B, too.  It reacts very quickly when I turn the steering wheel, and I've found that small incremental movements are more effective + getting out of the vehicle frequently and assessing my progress.  It's a learning experience.  I purchased some of those fold-up, triangle road reflectors, and I used them last weekend to mark a spot on the road where I should start my turn.  They're also useful to mark obstacles so I don't back into them.       

:-B
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Sounds like a great suggestion! Thanks!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    Find an empty parking lot and practice backing into different spots!
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    scuba said:
    Find an empty parking lot and practice backing into different spots!
    I'm really want to but not sure I will have time before I leave for my trip. The practice I got in this weekend was helpful.

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I found the best practice was mid week, preferably out of season, at a state park.  Find a loop with very few people there.  You get to practice with sites that are uphill, downhill, slanted different ways, posts, trees, etc., in the way.   I usually determine where I want the T@B's driver's side wheel to land and place a pinecone or stick or something there.  Doing that keeps me from getting in and out of the Jeep a thousand times.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Great tip!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    Yes what a great tip.
    Every site you go to will be different.
    Please be careful moving tab by yourself. I can move her on flat pavement but she is too heavy to stop by yourself if she starts rolling downhill. Keep your chocks in place when on a sloped site. I bet some of you remember the story of our friend Fox and her T@Da. We camped next to her at BRR and she told us t he real story. She is one lucky tabber. Hers rolled into the lake. She was able to jump out before it hit the water.
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    The pine cone/stick trick; such a simple but great idea.  I'll be using that one.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map