Options

Microwave (the sequel)

Now that I have an inverter, here is my microwave setup.  I removed the stock factory seat cushion and had a custom cushion made locally.  This is my work area with my laptop.  The microwave acts as an arm rest while clicking away on the computer.  Stays fairly hidden under the Lagun table top when not in use.  When its time for a healthy, hearty, salt-ridden processed meal, I simply move the seat cushion, plug it in and wait for the "ding."

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 125
    OutbackAZ. What kind of a microwave is that?
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Any idea what the power draw of the inverter and microwave are?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Carolyn said:
    OutbackAZ. What kind of a microwave is that?

Here is the link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-WCM660W-Counter-Microwave-Cubic/dp/B00BGTNY8O

Also try Walmart - they may have a better price.

This is my second one. I bought the white model but thought it stood out too much.  Like the black color much better.  No electronic clock to re-set every time you plug it in to use! 

It says 600W, but my test using a cheapie "truck stop" inverter a few weeks back had it drawing up to 900W during a five minute run.  I'll re-test it later today using my new 2,000W inverter and report back to you and Jenn.

• Options
    Bob - I have a 7 foot cable from the battery to the inverter of #4 wire.
  • Options
  • Options
    Bob - I have a Group 27 "dual purpose" battery. I plan on cutting the cables to as short as length as possible when I decide on a permanent location for the inverter.  What are your thoughts on running it in the propane/battery compartment with the lid cracked (the back of the compartment is open)?  One of my tech buddies says it should not be a problem.  I'm just concerned about a propane leak near an inverter, as in "BOOM!"
  • Options
    Thanks for the great information Bob! The bottom of the propane tub in the Outback model is aluminum, but I can see how some debris may get in.  Covering the inverter during transit will not be a problem.  Putting the inverter in the tub will allow for much shorter battery cables and negate having to haul it in and out of the TV.  What type and size battery do you recommend?  I also have the 200W Zamp solar array if that is a factor.
  • Options

Microwave test using a 600W microwave, 2,000 Watt inverter and a white thingy with a digital readout.

Set microwave to "High" for five minutes.  At the start of the test, micro was drawing 935W and 8.4A.  Both steadily decreased over the five minutes until ending at 862W and 7.9A.

Ran the same test from a house outlet.  At the start of this test run, micro was drawing 950W and 8.5A.  At the end of the five minutes, 857W and 7.3A.

Not sure what any of that means, but you technical folks can enlighten the rest of us.  BTW, never once did my 600W microwave get near 600W!  Could it be I had it set on "High?"

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    We're going to teach you how to cook Frank - Am saving recipes and  taking photos - You won't need that microwave to cook frozen dinners once we're done with ya :-)
  • Options
    Pxlated - that's a very kind gestrure - especially towards a total stranger. But I see no value in spending 30 minutes preparing a meal that takes me 5 minutes to eat. That's the beauty of the microwave - 5 minutes prep, 5 minutes consumption.
  • Options
    There's not a meal I'm saving that takes more than ten. One pot meals Frank :-)
  • Options
    Although not willing to go Frank's route, I am sympathetic. I don't like to spend my time cooking when I go camping, either.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ST_Bob said:
    I'd bet Frank hates cleaning the pot, fork, knife and dish...  Microwave dinners = no pot, no dish.  50% savings, right Frank?

You got it Bob.  I only use paper plates and plastic utensils.  Just lazy I guess.
  • Options
    Frank/Bob - One non-stick pot, paper plates...clean up with one cup of water and a paper towel. No fuss, no muss ... Brrrrrrrp, oh my, excuse me, that was so good :-)
    Jenn - Can understand that when you're on vacation with limited time. When full-timing one tends to want the same as back when stationery.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    This is a 90+ day of vacation for me. I rarely used my plastic plates last year, so I just brought paper plates and bowls this year. Water can be a precious commodity when boondocking, so the less I wash, the better it is. I do put my foot down on having real forks, knives and spoons, silicon cooking utensils, but I don't mind using a permanent plastic spork for breakfast Cheerios. 

I do have an assortment of an imported set of microwave bowls. Easy to clean, and can be used as serving bowls, too. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    This is a 90+ day of vacation for me. I rarely used my plastic plates last year, so I just brought paper plates and bowls this year. Water can be a precious commodity when boondocking, so the less I wash, the better it is.
    Agreed. I have started collecting extra plastic and paper when I get takeout and have been saving up. I also have a stash of plastic ware from last year. I save the water for the pots and pans and cooking utensils.  

• Options
    Verna - Yep, standard metal silverware. Nothing sucks more than plastic forks & knives.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PXLated said:
    Verna - Yep, standard metal silverware. Nothing sucks more than plastic forks & knives.
    But, of course, my handles are red ;-)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Well of course - Wouldn't expect them to not be :-)