Brake Controller for Toyota Highlander

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
I need to arrange for a brake controller to be installed on my 2013 Highlander Plus in anticipation of my T@B's arrival.

Does anyone have experience with a Tekonsha P3 on a Highlander?

Given that I plan to keep the Highlander as my tow vehicle at least 7 more years, is there any technical reason to use the Prodigy RF instead?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    We like our P3 on the Tacoma!  Braking is a good thing ;-) on our mountain passes!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    @DurangoTaB , were there any issues getting the P3 installed? My Highlander has heavy duty radiator, trans cooler, alternator, etc., but it doesn't have a "towing package" per se. 
    We do have the towing package...but the only problem was where to put the controller in the cab.  The idiot dealer installed it at a severe slant on the right of the dash, and charged me $100...I moved it to above my left knee, and it works fine.  The under dash wiring was easy.  I presume you have a 7pin connector at the rear?

J.D. & Sue

@DurangoTaB no 7 pin connector. A local trailer place added a 4 pin wiring and connector for our little kayak trailer when they installed the hitch but as far as I know they will need to install some kind of 7 wire harness for the T@b. 
    Definitely need that 7 wire harness...under the dash for the controller, and at the rear for the T@B.  Be sure to find a shop who knows what they're doing!

J.D. & Sue

We didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from the T@B dealer about this. We have a couple of trailer places nearby, one of which was recommended by our Toyota dealer. 

I think a couple people here tow with Highlanders - would love to hear about their experiences getting this work done so we're prepared when we talk to the trailer shop. 
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    We do have the towing package...but the only problem was where to put the controller in the cab.  The idiot dealer installed it at a severe slant on the right of the dash, and charged me $100...I moved it to above my left knee, and it works fine.  The under dash wiring was easy.  I presume you have a 7pin connector at the rear?
    That's funny. My T@B dealer got so exasperated with my questions and concerns regarding the installation of their "included" cheap brake controller, they took off $125 and said, "You're kinda fussy, do it yourself!" Which I did--for about $80--mounted exactly where I wanted it.
    2015 T@B S
  • VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    We installed a Prodigy RF in our GMC Terrain last fall in anticipation of picking up new CS-S in January.  Works very well.  On line trailer supply was source of RF and the 7 pin plug wiring.  Just needed one wire up to battery to provide power to unit, and wires to lights (also from on line supplier, as well as receiver hitch). 
    Advantages of RF:  1) No need to add any wires under dash, etc.  Brake lights provide signal for "turning on" RF, while deceleration sensor integral to RF unit adjusts brakes during braking.  2) Hand held unit in cab, which plugs into cigarette lighter type power source, takes very little space...a nice feature in many smaller vehicles...and can be stored away when trailer not attached.  3) Hand held unit easy to use for adjusting power of brakes, though I am sure other units are also.  
    Only problem was the "pairing" of vehicles, which was explained in instructions, and it finally worked after some fiddling.  
    Good luck. 

Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    How much weight is added to the tongue from the Prodigy device?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Don't know, but I can handle 750 pounds TW. 
  • VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    Website says shipping wt 5.73 pounds...handheld part less than pound so part on trailer tongue must be about 5 lbs.  

Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

I went to see the trailer place today to talk about the work I need to have done. The owner tells me that a Tekonsha P3 is really overkill for a 2000 pound trailer, that he usually installs them on vehicles that pull horse trailers (lots of horse stables around here), as apparently the proportional brake control is gentler on the horses.

He says a Tekonsha P2 is fine for a light trailer - does anyone have experience with this one?
  • kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I installed the RF because I didn't like any of the places in my Honda Pilot to mount a P2 or P3. I am very happy with it. Yes, it's expensive, but so are T@Bs when you compare them with other trailers. Well worth the extra money to me.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY