Options

Picking up Friday

nancentinanancentina Member Posts: 17
We went to "look" yesterday and purchased an Outback.. The price seemed low compared to what I've seen online. 

We are thinking about getting to Harbor Freight for a trailer dolly and some chocks just to be prepared as im going to be towing a few hundred miles that day. While my husband drives a uhaul and we split the three dogs and a cat between us. I'll probably get stuck with the crying cat.

my life is pretty unmanageable but I know this trailer will be a good investment for my sanity.  Looking forward to my orientation Friday morning. Alde system is entirely new to me, always had suburban water heaters with constant anode rod replacement. Curious how maintenance will change.

i won't forget to unplug the pigtail when I stop to walk my dog- any other words of advice?

thanks and happy camping! See you around (maybe at the big bend meetup after all)

Comments

• Options
    Also I think I'm going to get the visor xl, seems less fussy than the awning. I'm hoping to not go overboard on every accessories this time around. 
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    ...I won't forget to unplug the pigtail when I stop to walk my dog- any other words of advice?...

No need to unplug from the trailer if you are away for just short periods of time.  I never unplug for rest stop/dog walking or a quick trip into Wal-Mart.

Congratulations!  You are going to have sooooooo much fun!  You will add and discard a lot of equipment before you decide on what you really need.  I'm still doing that and expect to continue.  Just don't go overboard with buying things you think you "might" need until you've camped a few times.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

Did you mean this trailer dolly?

http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-heavy-duty-trailer-dolly-69898.html

If so, I assume you attempted to move the Outback around by hand at the dealer when you visited, and found it too cumbersome.  If you haven't attempted to move the Outback by hand, you may be surprised how easy it is.  There are four round handles at each corner.  They actually work well when maneuvering the trailer.

Jenn has posted a wonderful link for newbie owners.  I'm sure she'll put a link here for you.  The only thing I'd suggest before picking it up is to check the tire iron in your TV (Tow Vehicle).  My Outback lug nuts are 3/4" while my TV nuts are a different size.  Important point because the Outback does not come with a tire iron.

Congratulations and welcome to the T@B family!  If you're like the rest of us, you're going to love your Outback.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Congratulations on the new trailer and can feel your excitement!   Take your time, enjoy the trip home and post up some photos when you get a chance.  It's fun setting these trailers up and making them your home and you are about to create many lifetime memories, while exploring new places.  

Enjoy!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Congrats and Happy T@Bing. 
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Also I think I'm going to get the visor xl, seems less fussy than the awning. I'm hoping to not go overboard on every accessories this time around. 

I agree with RZRBUG - hold off on any big dollar purchases until you take the trailer camping a few times.  The XL visor and awning are not cheap by any measure.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    On the other hand, the awning is on sale thru the end of the month!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Chocks are a good choice, you will need some. 

The dolly you may or may not need.  I have one at home that I have used occasionally to move the T@Bpole out of its regular parking spot, but I don't take it with me.  With a second set of hands it is pretty easy to move on pavement, and four people can move it, in my experience, anywhere.  Harbor Freight offers a good deal on it though, some it is an easy pick up.

I love my Visor XL, and do recommend it, but as others have said, go camping a few times before making any big purchases.  Everyone camps differently, and soon enough you will find what you really do or don't need.

Have fun, and of course, post some photos.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    Would it be pretty easy to move with one person with the dolly? 
    Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Congrats and welcome!

That would depend on your set up. I can manage moving it alone on a large enough piece of pavement or concrete or even smooth hard packed dirt, all assuming it's a flat surface.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    jkjenn said:
    Congrats and welcome!

That would depend on your set up. I can manage moving it alone on a large enough piece of pavement or concrete or even smooth hard packed dirt, all assuming it's a flat surface.
    That is my experience.  If I have any kind of incline it becomes very difficult to move alone, even with the dolly.  It works well on a level, hard packed surface though.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Thanks everybody! I'm pretty sure I won't regret the visor as I camp in the desert and with our last rv the awning was essential. The casita awning was a pain, though so we just didn't use it but I could have.

Trailer dolly I'm not so sure but the husband thinks it will help with moving the trailer in our new driveway/ lot which is pretty loose gravel. We might hold off on that for now.

not sure which one gets to tow or drive the uhaul yet, all I hope is that this rain will letup by Friday.

open to any advice if there's more, but thanks for chiming in and wishing us well. Very excited about this little trailer. 

• Options
    TaB2goTaB2go Member Posts: 57
    Cool! Soooooo happy for you guys. Gonna love it allot, i can tell by the tone of your voice. Ha!   Enjoy, enjoy.    Jim & Edith,  Mich.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Towing the Tab was *awesome* today, I think in part because it's so light and tight, but also the integrated braking system in my Chevy is the bomb. As we are moving across state (Texas=huge) and we have a uhaul three dogs and a cat with us, we are in a hotel tonight and have everything locked up on our new sweet trailer. So not our first night in it. The cat is too much of a wild card.

Anyway, Ive never had such a pleasant towing experience even though I was exhausted and it was pouring on I 10. So far a fabulous first impression.

also I had a great experience with the walk through at Princess Craft in Round Rock. 
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Like you said, "Awesome!"  Enjoy.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map