Options

Trailer jack stand vs. wheel dock?

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
edited March 2016 in Trailer & Towing
I've noticed some use a jack stand (the kind where you remove the wheel) and some use a wheel dock (like a chock for the jack stand wheel). Under what circumstances would you want to remove the trailer jack wheel and use the jack stand? Seems like the wheel dock would be much easier.

This is the jack stand: 

This is the wheel dock: 
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    For me personally, I would never remove the wheel as then you can't jocky the tongue around. Really helpful for jimmying slightly to get on hitch. I use just a flat leveling block under the wheel to keep it from sinking into the dirt/sand.
    Now if you have a backup camera looking at your tongue/hitch like someone I know (Verna) then you might not need to jigger it left or right.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Do you have to take the wheel off when you are driving?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    My wheel is way to low and would pop the trailer off the hitch going in and out of some driveways.

Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    I used to - Now have the Jack-E-Up so it all comes off.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Photomom said:
    Do you have to take the wheel off when you are driving?
    A definite yes!   It hangs far too low to keep it on. I bought a "foot" for use on the sandier soil here in the Southwest. The tire would sink and be useless in sand, but the foot spreads the weight over a larger surface (about 3"x6").

And I use neither of the extras under my wheel. You're stuck in one place and can't fine-tune your position. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I use the wheel dock when on soft ground, only. Otherwise, just chock the tires.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Verna - Just put one of your extra lego blocks down when on dirt/sand - keeps you from sinking in and you can still move the wheel around a bit if need be.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PXLated said:
    Verna - Just put one of your extra lego blocks down when on dirt/sand - keeps you from sinking in and you can still move the wheel around a bit if need be.
    Thanks, but I like the foot. It works fine for me, and I don't have to take it off and put it back on. It stays on. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Just an option for that time in the future when for some reason your prefered method doesn't work. Those times always come :-)
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    We use the Jack stand, the wheel ,we feel, is a bit low. Plan on using the Jack-e-Up when we get our next TV next year so we have complete access to the rear when not un hooked. We do keep the wheel with us in case we would need to manually move it after unhooking. Yes we do have back up camera with lines and magnifier so it is relatively easy to hook up.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    VagabondsVagabonds Member Posts: 35
    We just put an 8-inch drop hitch on the Jeep (because with the Jeep lift kit the trailer was towing canted).After hitching up, the jockey wheel could not be removed because there was not enough clearance to slide it off the crank. Should we have less drop in the hitch?  Would a jack-e-up help with this?
    Pam (and the husband..+2 golden retrievers)--2016 T@b M@x CS-S Sofitel (towed by a 2015 Jeep WrglrUnlim Rubicon)
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    I had to use a 6 3/4" drop on my stock Rubicon.  I thought spare tire was too low and I don't really want to move.  Jack-e-up or the one the Tear Drop Shop really help on Wranglers.  Without one of them you can't open the door far enough to raise the window to get to things in the back.  My first upgrade.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Ron said:
    I had to use a 6 3/4" drop on my stock Rubicon.  I thought spare tire was too low and I don't really want to move.  Jack-e-up or the one the Tear Drop Shop really help on Wranglers.  Without one of them you can't open the door far enough to raise the window to get to things in the back.  My first upgrade.
    Both @PXLatedand i have used the Jack-E-Up with our Wrangler unlimiteds. Why do you say it doesnt work?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    I tried to say that back door of Wrangler does not work without one of these.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.