Options

Shower latch caution

Heh! Just a little heads up for those single campers...

Note that the latch on the shower door does loosen up after a while. If left in the "pointing up" position, it can inadvertently wiggle itself down to the "locked" position. 

It would be tough to reach, to unlock it, if you happen to be inside the shower at the time.

It might be a little awkward shouting out until someone comes to let you out. Imagine if you'd locked the Tab door too.

(I'm a natural paranoid, I moved ours up closer to the top of the door)  :D

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
2014 S Maxx
2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ChanW said:

Note that the latch on the shower door does loosen up after a while. If left in the "pointing up" position, it can inadvertently wiggle itself down to the "locked" position. 

It would be tough to reach, to unlock it, if you happen to be inside the shower at the time.

It might be a little awkward shouting out until someone comes to let you out. Imagine if you'd locked the Tab door too.

(I'm a natural paranoid, I moved ours up closer to the top of the door)  :D

It might be worth doing for those of use who travel solo. I could be trapped for days! In all likelihood, I would just bust it open, lol. But, I would rather not have to bust it open.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

LOL!  Of all the things that could go wrong on a camping trip!  I'm going to start taking my PLB in the shower with me after reading this.  Seriously, I will turn my knob DOWN when not in use.  Thanks for pointing this out Chan.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited March 2016
    Yeah I thought I'd always point it down too, but I think I know Murphy too well.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Ha, good one Chan!  And nice solution OAZ.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, thanks, Frank. I just turned mine down. It's normally down....I wonder if Sunny turned it upward??;) 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Excellent OutbackAZ

We certainly are a creative problem-solving bunch, here!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    OutbackAZ said:

Personally, I'm not taking any chances . . .

I seriously thought this AM, maybe I need to keep a wire hanger in there. Lol!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Or a Colt 45 would probably work. B-)
    jkjenn said:
    OutbackAZ said:

Personally, I'm not taking any chances . . .

I seriously thought this AM, maybe I need to keep a wire hanger in there. Lol!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Or for the super OCD, take the door off and go with a shower rod and curtain...
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Or for the super OCD, take the door off and go with a shower rod and curtain...
    No, the OCD in me is too nervous of getting the floor wet. =)

• Options
    And I thought I was over reacting for wanting to put a bungee cord across the door...... 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Warning - I closed my door three weeks ago and the dead bolt sliped into place. Luckily, I keep my second set in the TV. We searched all over the place for my keys because the door just won't lock by itself. Finally dug out the spares and low and behold, the main set was hangin on the hook inside.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    PXL, I had that happen on my Reverse TD. Fortunately, the back window was up and I could gently pull the screen out of the track (not like T@B windows) and then do TearDrop Yoga to reach the spares.

BTW, good luck on your current TearDrop Yoga poses as St_Bob directs you to check the trailer wiring!! Strrrrretch!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    ChanW said:
    Or a Colt 45 would probably work. B-)
    You talkin' a gun, or one of those big beers to help pass the time until someone lets you out?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    While you're at it you might want to install a back-up fire alarm in that trailer too.   =)

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    solved the problem.
    Stopped using the shower.   =)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW - Thought I smelled something :-)
  • Options
    Mike - Verna delivered me two redneck alarms when we met up so I have a spare :-)
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @ChanW Gee---Thanks so much for giving me something else to think about that never crossed my mind before :s   haha! My only thought before reading this was maybe putting another little latch on the door to have two on the door while towing!
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    @lkc001B) 
    It's important to think of everything!
    (Just don't lose sleep over it!)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    This is the kind of thing that would never occur to me in a million years .. until I got locked in.. so THANKS!
    ~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    Does anyone know where I can get a replacement latch? Mine was tight when I first bought my used T@B last month, but it falls downward now and I can't find a way to tighten it to the lock position for transport.
    @ChanW for posting about pointing this puppy down! I'm solo too; well, except for my two dogs but they don't have thumbs, so they're pretty much useless for this, lol.
    2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    @ReenieG, when I moved mine, it only left a leetle-beedie hole where it had been mounted. Yep, the hole's still there!
    You could just move it, and leave the hole, or you could put a nice stainless steel screw in the old hole, so it looks like it belongs there.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    @ChanW, I think you may have misunderstood my question... I was being facetious on the no thumbed travel companions. But I'm still hoping someone can tell me where I can find a new shower plastic door latch thingy since mine is useless with how loose it is. :)

2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    @ReenieG, you can contact a dealer who can order a new one from nüCamp. If you don’t have a dealer, try contacting Missouri Teardrop as they don’t mind ordering “stuff” and having it drop shipped directly to you. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    edited October 2020
    ChanW said:

Yep, real world problem for solo travellers.
    Recently removed the 'factory latch' completely due to realistic fear of being locked in.  Now use a small spring clamp at top of door during travelling.  Can never be locked in and has a big plus of keeping the long magnet strip in place on wash-board roads :)

Picture added in later post (10-15-2020)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    @ReenieG, no I didn't mistake your question, I simply don't explain myself very well. My apologies!

It sounds like the hole that your 'latch' is screwed into has loosened or stripped enough so that the latch will no longer stay in position (it's friction fit).

I'm assuming your latch is the same as mine, a simple turn-type lever that blocks the door from swinging open when it's turned 90 degrees toward the front of the Tab.

If that's the case, then the screw that the latch pivots on should allow for tightening to give it more friction to stay in the position to which you set it. If the screw won't tighten, then perhaps it's stripped, likely the hole in the aluminum frame of the shower has enlarged beyond repair.

If that's the case, then the solution I suggested would be the way to go - simply move the whole screw/latch assembly, abandoning the original hole, and filling it (the original hole, ie: for aesthetic purposes) with an attractive stainless-steel sheet-metal screw.

In hopes that this applies to your situation!!! Otherwise, (er, edit) what year/model is your Tab, and can you provide a photo of said latch?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Yep, I like your solution @MuttonChops!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya