Options

Exterior help - Old Sap spots

SunnyTABSunnyTAB Member Posts: 65
I could make a lot of old sap jokes here, but I just heard from our RV guys that they can't get the sap (pitch, whatever) off the trailer. There are a few big drips, and who knows how long they've been there. You can even see a spot where the seller tried to get it off with something, and the paint is slightly faded. Sunny's an '08 so I don't expect a brand new trailer all of a sudden, but I'm disappointed. I've heard that Isopropyl Alcohol can sometimes get it off, but I don't want to cause any more damage. Dare I try to scrape it off with a razor blade? Get some matching paint and go over the spots? Design my decal to incorporate them? Pour a beer, sit by a campfire, and forget the whole thing?

Tiff in Seattle

2012 BMW x3/2008 TCS "Sunny"

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I think what I would do is "carefully" try to remove what you can with a razor blade or even some type of plastic scraper with an edge.  I would then try some Goo-Gone and let that set on the sap for a while and see if that loosens it up more.   I have been impressed quite a few times with the power and durability of the Goo-Gone product and it is plant based and a natural product that will remove many stains and messy things.  It works great in removing silicone caulking and I highly recommend this product for what it does universally.  Let me know if this helps out any....  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    edited August 2014

UPDATE: I used this stuff on some old stains today.  The good news is it removed the sap stains.  The BAD news is that it also dulled the clear coat.  Although not too noticeable, I just wanted anyone who might stop by this post in the future to know the full risks of using it.  I'm sure it would be much more noticeable on some color other than white.

I hesitate to mention this and am not recommending that anyone else does, but there is one product that I have used successfully on tree sap, but I would use it ONLY if all else fails.  After removing all I could with other products (soap, Goo-Gone, alcohol), on the little that remained I used Gumout Carb+Choke cleaner.  Again, I would only use this as a last resort and if I were at the point that I was ready to ruin the paint anyway, because that might happen.  Instead of spraying it on the paint (mist could drift to areas you don't want it on), spray it onto a cloth, rub the stain to see if it will remove it, then wash with soap and rinse IMMEDIATELY.  Read the entire label carefully before using this stuff.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Great suggestions. I think we'll try Mike's first. We certainly have GooGone under the sink. I didn't get on a ladder to check the roof but that might be a good place to test the Gumout. 

Hmmm, I wonder if Dutchman left LG a big can of yellow paint somewhere. :)

Tiff in Seattle

• Options
    Thanks Evelyn. The detailer said they were pretty much baked on there so I think our best hope is to scrape but not expect to see yellow under there. We're picking Sunny up today so we'll see how bad it is. Did you end up selling yours?

Tiff in Seattle

• Options
    Crossing my fingers for you that it works out the way you want it to.

In the meantime.....we picked up Sunny from the RV place. The sap is totally baked on, and while they got it level with the paint it really can't be removed. There are a lot of spots on the top front, but I'm just trying to get over it. Maybe one day we'll get her repainted, but I can't imagine that's very affordable. The minute we got her home, one side of the front window shade came off the wall, and we found a nail in our tire. I can already tell this is going to be a marriage-testing adventure. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Tiff in Seattle

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Pampered Chef plastic dish scrapers are awesome for this type of thing.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Have you considered a wrap? I am looking into getting my new T@B (when I get it) wrapped. It protects what is underneath, lasts 5-8 years and you can very creative in your designs. It would cover your sap spots and freshen up the look of your trailer. 
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options

Radren - My husband would be all about the wrap (though I love our yellow so much and have bought everything to match it). Let me know what you find out about a wrap (you can message me or start a post as I'm sure others would like to know as well).

I thought for a minute that I could creatively design a decal to cover it but it starts above the front window so it's really high up there. Good thing I'm short and probably can't see the worst of it.

Are you getting a Disney wrap?

Tiff in Seattle

• Options
    IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    You could just wrap front to back, leaving the yellow sides (if they don't have the sap issue). Just get a wrap that goes with the yellow.
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Surely if you can get a design in a wrap, you should be able to get a solid color also.  Something else to think about, Tiff.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I am going to get more information in August. I am trying to pace myself. I probably won't get my T@B until end of august and don't want to be too impatient.
    I want to get mickey of course and have the door done in red with ears on the porthole. Mine is going to be white with black trim out of the factory. I am getting a clamshell model and it doesn't have the very cool trim so I am going to have the wrap have a "trim" design. Can't wait!  Oh dear, feeling impatient. Ha
    ren
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    I can't wait to see your Mickey trailer! A front-to-back wrap would be cool. Ooooh, what if I designed one after a National Parks poster?

Tiff in Seattle

• Options
    I am thinking that anything is possible with a wrap. It protects the trailer and last 5-7 years. Then you can make it something else. I think a national parks poster wrap could possibly get you into national parks free?  
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    Now you're thinking radren! We have to clean Sunny's interior today and get a nail taken out of one of the tires. We're under heat advisory here in Seattle where it's going to hit 90+ degrees. I guess we'll learn how hot she can get. Maybe now the sap will just slide off. :) Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Tiff in Seattle