Options

MaxxAir fan upgrade!

So my T@B is a 2005 and some of the items in it are getting pretty old.
The fan is one of those things and has quit working partly due to some previous owner wiring hacks.
Since the stock Northern Breeze fan is old and not very efficient we decided to upgrade.
After tons of reading we decided to go with the MaxxAir Deluxe 7500K:
http://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-7500K-MaxxFan-Remote-Control/dp/B002OW5JG2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458826413&sr=8-2&keywords=maxxair+maxxfan

All the reviews I've read are very positive so we pulled the trigger.
http://rvroadtrip.us/reviews/maxxfan.php

The cool thing about this fan is that it has a rain sensor and will close if it starts to rain.
In addition, the way the hood works it works when it's closed!
It comes with a remote and an automatic thermostat that will turn the fan on at a certain preset temperature.
Hopefully I will have time this weekend to start installing it.

I can't wait!

2005 T@B U model

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Wow - that looks way cool.  Were you concerned about it weighing 20.2 pounds?  Recent posts about people wanting to mount things on their roofs have me skittish.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We ordered that as a factory installed customization on our T@B. I have to think if there is a concern they wouldn't have agreed to do it. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    EWizardEWizard Member Posts: 106
    I got mine for $200.   :)
    The link I posted was not to show the price, but the unit itself.
    Weight never crossed my mind but I'm sure it will be fine.  I'll let you all know how it goes.
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options

Please post some photos of the old fan removal and install of the new unit.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Awe shucks.  I just got finished and didn't snap any photos.
    The install was super easy.  The hardest part was getting the old fan out, but even this was very straightforward.
    Haven't installed the interior beauty ring yet but I'll get to that soon.
    Next up will be one of those Victron battery monitors. :)
    Here's a photo of the vent installed:

2005 T@B U model
  • Options

Thanks EWizard - that is one sleek looking fan!  Report back to us when you've used it a while.  Some reviewers said it was a little noisy on the higher settings - let us know what you think.

Regarding the Vectron monitor, I just finished getting mine roughed-in.  Because I have everything opened up, I'll be ordering the digital Alde controller from Elsi on Monday.  Might as well get them all done at the same time.  A few points to note:

I ran the phone cord from the shunt in the battery compartment to the interior of the cabin along the outside of the underbelly with the phone cord for the inverter and 12/3 cord for the inverter outlet.  I simply drilled a 3/4" hole in the floor in front of the driver side tire wheel well.  Luckily it came up in a perfect location to pull the wires. Covered the three wires with plastic loom and secured it to the underbelly with 1/2" plastic electrical conduit holders (used about 4).  I then caulked the small opening in the floor with black silicone caulk.  I'm just offering this alternative because I could not see how anyone could snake a cord through the center-front of the trailer, into the interior, around the shower, and then under the seat pedestal.  If you can, then you are a better man than I.

I also had to remove the white plastic backplate behind the Television because there is not a clean shot straight down from the opening of the Alde controller.  I needed to snake the fish tape to the left and then down into the pedestal area. The guys at LG appear to take pride in making wire holes just big enough for THEIR wires :)

• Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2016
    Looks great I have my work cut out. Have the fan, digital Alde control and others items waiting to be installed when I return from visiting  son at Little Rock AFB.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    The fan is pretty cool.  When you turn it on, there is a motor that raises the top.  There is also a thermometer that will turn the fan on when a certain temperature is reached.
    Will report back when I use it some more.
    Hopefully it sucks down less energy than the old one.
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    I also want to make this upgrade so I will be interested in hearing your thoughts down the road. Thanks for posting.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    We "upgraded" from our T@B to an RV, a RoadTrek on a M-B Sprinter chassis. It has a roof vent similar to this, with an option of manual control or automatic depending on temp. Haven't used that part a lot, but the automatic close/shutdown with the rain sensor is a great thing to have. We would have been flooded several times if not for that feature! Our T@B is an '04 model with a strictly manual-control fan; always have to double-check that one to make sure it's off & closed.
  • Options
    Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199

I am looking at this fan as an upgrade on my T@B, but I park it in my garage and was not sure how much height it add and would it still fit thru the garage door. Could you please post how much taller is it than the factory fan?  is the new fan taller than the vent pipe thru the roof and if so by how much?  this would really help me out on pulling the trigger or not.  Thanks!

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    We ordered our Outback with the same MaxxFan, but in white. Should take delivery in 2-3 weeks. We are going to either store outdoors or have to raise our garage header to fit it anyway. 
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    Maybe Ewizzard can lay the old cover next to new fan upgrade so we can see height difference. I'm thinking its less then 2". Thanks again
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    jctangneyjctangney Member Posts: 76
    I am also planning on getting this fan. I did not order it from the factory as I was likewise concerned about fitting in the garage. Maxxfan told me that the height of the fan, when closed, is 5 inches above the vent opening. So, I found a 5 inch tall box and put it on the roof of my T@B when pulling it out of the garage, and it cleared without touching at all. Close, but it cleared!

2016 T@B S Max, near Portland, OR

Photo Galleries www.pbase.com/jctangney

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I just measured the height of the old Northern Breeze fan and it sticks out ~3.75".  The new Maxxfan's height above the T@B is ~4.5" when the cover is in the closed postition (as it is in the picture above).
    Keep in mind this is for the 7500K model which is their top of the line fan.  Not sure about the specs on their other fans.
    Here's the inside shot (sorry for the huge picture).  

Here's a [blurry] shot with the vent open all the way:

One more of the remote mounted.  It actually has a holder that I Velcroed to the wall.  The remote can be removed easily.

2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
    Thank you, I will check my old fan height and garage door clearance for the new fan. 
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    EWizard said:
    So my T@B is a 2005 and some of the items in it are getting pretty old.
    The fan is one of those things and has quit working partly due to some previous owner wiring hacks.
    Since the stock Northern Breeze fan is old and not very efficient we decided to upgrade.
    After tons of reading we decided to go with the MaxxAir Deluxe 7500K:
    http://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-7500K-MaxxFan-Remote-Control/dp/B002OW5JG2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458826413&sr=8-2&keywords=maxxair+maxxfan
    Count me as another fan (see what I did there :grin: ).  We installed one last year and I love it.  Don't have to worry about rain, simple to operate, lots of speeds, quiet on the lower speeds.

It was pricey, but if we got another T@B (400 maybe someday) we would get one again.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Does anyone know the price for a factory upgrade from the Fantastic to the MaxxFan 7000K Deluxe?
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"