Options

Sink drain leaking

Hi! I need some advice with a repair. 2005 DM, the sink drain is leaking right at the drain/sink gasket. Don't want to break something by being too ham handed with a wrench. Tried tightening, but didn't help. Tried taking off, but it didn't turn easily. 
Any thoughts? Any repair docs?
Lazuli Bunting from Utah
2005 Dutchman T@B & 2010 Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Remember to have towels on hand to catch the water from the pea trap.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    lazulibuntinglazulibunting Member Posts: 41
    Thanks, Boo! I'm going to attack this over the weekend. I appreciate the advice. I'm guessing it's just an old dried out gasket. Glad to know about the basin wrench! Will report back.

Thanks, Ratkity, I often forget about the little things like that.
    Lazuli Bunting from Utah
  • Options
    lazulibuntinglazulibunting Member Posts: 41
    edited April 2016
    Ok, It was "git'er dun" saturday!

The drain is a very simple, very compact thing. The P trap is two parts, connected together with a single screw. The sink drain basket threads to the upper section of the P trap. It all came apart quite easily. There did not appear to ever have been any plumbers putty under the strainer edges. The black gasket which sits on top of the upper P trap piece was in very good condition, no cracks or splits. I put it back on. I cleaned all the parts very well, put a small rope of plumbers putty around the sink drain hole before putting the basket back in the hole.Threaded it all back together, tightened gently with a wrench, since it's all plastic. After letting the putty dry for a few hours, I poured a couple gallons of water in the sink, sat on the floor and watched inside the cupboard.
    Yay, no drips!
    Maybe it was just grime?? 

Lazuli Bunting from Utah
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Good deal and glad things worked out for you!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    No plumber's putty or rope? Hrm. Might be something I do with plumbing that's an over-kill, but I think sinks should have something, even if it's just teflon tape in the threads. Glad you got it successfully fixed!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)