Options

Cabinet Door Supports - Struts

CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
edited April 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades
I think many know of or have done the spring fix to hold up the front, overhead cabinet doors.  The fix works well and it was one of the first modifications that I did for my T@B when we got it, though I honestly did a poor job of it.

The discussion popped up again on one of the Facebook pages, and someone made a recommendation for these cabinet door supports.  I decided it was time to give them a little upgrade so I went ahead and ordered them.

The supports are spring loaded and plastic, but seem well constructed.  They come two to a package, so you will end up with one left over (I missed this part and ordered three packages, so I'll have three for sale at Tearstock if anyone is interested).  They are stiff, and just by looking at them they don't appear like they would work.

I didn't really measure them out, just lined them up by eye, first marking and placing the lower part that attaches to the cabinet itself.  Make sure to pre-drill, while the screws are self tapping, the wood is very solid.

For the cabinet door I lined up the door at a 90° angle and marked where the top of the support landed.  Again, pre-drill carefully, the screws are short but it is easy to drill to far in and out the face of the door.

The supports are stiff and will hold the doors open or closed on their own, so I also removed the hardware used to hold the doors closed.  All said, this is an inexpensive and easy modification that I think is an improvement over the springs.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
Sterling, VA

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Cyclonic said:

The supports are spring loaded and plastic, but seem well constructed.  They come two to a package, so you will end up with one left over (I missed this part and ordered three packages, so I'll have three for sale at Tearstock if anyone is interested).  They are stiff, and just by looking at them they don't appear like they would work.

Funny, I did the same mod today after work. Yes, quite an improvement. I have totally changed what I used these for and will be using them solely for food storage. I did like most do before they do the mod: I used my head. :)

Help me understand why you used 3? It looks like the 2 in the front and the third is?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    The T@B Q has three cabinets.  The photos are taken of the middle.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Cyclonic said:
    The T@B Q has three cabinets.  The photos are taken of the middle.
    O,, makes sense.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TaB2goTaB2go Member Posts: 57
        Cyclonic,  What an a great job, springs where on my to do list, glad i tuned in at the right time. Just placed my order for your support fix. We where getting lumps on our heads and myself & my wife will finally heel up.  ;) Jim
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    I did the spring mod but I used a spring a whole lot smaller and shorter than that one in the first picture. Works great.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Used same piston door support.  Added in many locations beyond the front cabinet.  They are on my rear cabinets (a U model),  In addition, I added piano hinges on the side seat benches and added the hinges to these as well.  They come in handy at each of the locations.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Ooooo, hinges - I like that, Mash. I did the long spring mod. The only thing that prevented me from doing the little hydraulic lifters were that they get very stiff when cold (not very cold either). However, I know the majority of peeps doing mods live/camp in warmer climates. Oh boy, I hated that "Head Hold" for those cabinets!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Haven't had issues when cold, but understand.  Home is northern california so generally not issue, and heater works well when I've been in colder weather so haven't noticed (I have an older DM and the heater has worked well for me over the past five years).  
  • Options
    mash2 said:
    Haven't had issues when cold, but understand.  Home is northern california so generally not issue, and heater works well when I've been in colder weather so haven't noticed (I have an older DM and the heater has worked well for me over the past five years).  
     What's a "DM" ? (bet I'm gonna feel dumb soon, ;) )

2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    Dutchman (old style T@B)
  • Options
    KyBawpaw said:

What's a "DM" ? (bet I'm gonna feel dumb soon, ;) )
    As we say around here, the only dumb question is the one not asked.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    I also used the same (or very similar) spring-loaded pistons on my 2004 DM T@B, though the tubes on the ones I got were metal. They work very well.
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Tabulous, On the one that you are getting from ebay, how is the round end anchored to either the cabinet door or the cabinet base? 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Another great tip!  Thank you!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Yup, great mod and wonderful to know these are spring loaded.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    DutchMan..of course. I've have read some of the history of our fant@bulous obsession.
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    I picked up a couple of these cabinet door supports on Amazon and they are about 6.5" long.  It appears from the ad that they are sold as single units so order one package and you will receive two.  The reviews also stated this.  
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    I put them on today.  They work just fine.  I had to use one shorter screw, just my luck to hit one of the door frame screws.  Came from Amazon.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    keithpkeithp Member Posts: 31
    Just installed these over the weekend; did a bit of measuring to figure out where to mount them and it turns out that sticking the metal piece almost at the bottom of the face frame opening was just where they needed to be so that they're relaxed when the cabinet is either closed or open. Thanks for the amazon link!
  • Options
    JeanneJeanne Member Posts: 65
    Ok, ordered from Amazon. Has anyone got a fix for the back cabinets over the bed that will keep them from hitting the window?  
    2014 T@B S Max, TV 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, Richland, WA
  • Options
    You could put these in those cabinets as well, they would limit how far they open.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Jeanne said:
    Ok, ordered from Amazon. Has anyone got a fix for the back cabinets over the bed that will keep them from hitting the window?  

You could fab a little "door stop" type of thing for the Window frame. Sounds like a great use of Sugru! Or, the 3m bump stops would work.

• Options
    How do they hit the window?  
  • Options
    JeanneJeanne Member Posts: 65
    When the two side ones open they both open toward the window and if you aren't holding them, they go all the way open and hit the window (shade or screen). 2014 S Max.  When I get the supports, I will check and see if they will work on the back.  It is hard to see in the picture.l
    2014 T@B S Max, TV 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, Richland, WA
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Ah, 2016s (at least mine) all open vertically. Thanks for clarifying the issue. Here's hoping somebody with the same "outward swing" configuration comes along with a mod already done.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Jeanne said:
    When the two side ones open they both open toward the window and if you aren't holding them, they go all the way open and hit the window (shade or screen). 2014 S Max.  When I get the supports, I will check and see if they will work on the back.  It is hard to see in the picture.l
    My cabinet underneath my kitchen sink does that fast open thing and the knob hits the shower door. Whatever the door is made of, I'd rather not crack or shatter it - that's how hard the cabinet knob hit it the first time before I realized that was going to happen. I had a few second heart attack after hearing the smack there the first time! I bought cabinet bumpers (3M) that stick on pretty well on the shower door. These are about a half inch around so the metal knob hits that tiny area with a little less intensity. I still am careful when I open the cabinet by not just opening it and letting go as it swings all the way open. There are "fuzzy" furniture stick on circles you can use too, but the clear bumpers looked better.
  • Options
    lara9209lara9209 Member Posts: 45
    I installed the cabinet hardware yesterday and ran into a slight problem I thought I would share.  The actual installation was as easy as @Cyclonic reflects above  the challenge was after I installed and opened and closed the door several times, the hinge came undone from the door.  After a little fiddling around we determined we might be able to super glue the hinge but decided against it and will be sending the cabinet supports back to Amazon  
    John & Lisa, 2016 M@x S, Silver/Yellow, Hood Canal, WA, TV = 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I checked my supports today and noticed they are VERY rigid and was wondering if those of you who installed them have different supports or are they seemingly under a LOT of tension?  I'd hate to end up in the same predicament as John & Lisa and thought I would ask first before drilling holes into the cabinet doors and installing these supports.  

Thanks
  • Options
    I checked mine, yesterday, Mike. Yes, they are  very stiff but no problem with the hinges. I am at the factory for work today and Elsie gave me a tour and I noticed they were smaller. Zee