Black tank usage best practices?

2»

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    SAM said:
    Verna,  Clay litter or scoopable?
    I think I used scoopable. It really doesn't matter as long as it takes care of odor. I had 12 dsys in January before I could de-winterize and this worked well. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We use Scoop Away Multi Cat Scented at home. That should do the trick, but the T@B will smell like scented cat litter. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    You would be used to the smell...
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    edited April 2016
    The "Poo Powder" used in these things can be bought in bulk for making your own Wag Bags or TravelJohns. Lowers the cost a bit more. This is the same stuff used in disposable diapers. Developed by NASA for astronaut use, I'm told. Cool that it is trash can disposable.  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=poo+powder+cleanwaste&sprefix=poo+powder%2Caps%2C169
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Ratkity said:

8. Add a pint or so of water to the bottom of the black tank and put potty enzymatic deodorizer in. I use the little pods (only for black water, not for gray tank - you are done with that tank). I don't care if the pods are for 20 gal or 40 gal tanks. The ones I use don't smell and work just fine for the little tank. You can get the bottle of stuff and measure out a couple ounces. I find just tossing in a pod a lot easier, even though it costs a bit more and they are for bigger tanks.

@Ratkity, what little pods? I've only seen the powder.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
    If you go to Walmart in the RV section, you'll see the small bottles, large bottles, aluminum type bags with pods in them, like the dishwasher pods. 15/bag. I've been using the orange scented pods and they are the best!  As Ratkity says, put some water in the tank with pod, and it certainly keeps any odor down. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Had never dumped before but it turned out not to be that big a thing.
    One thing you'll run into on occassion is a dump that slopes to your rear. The bigger rigs dump valves are usually in the rear so works well for them but not for us. Makes it almost impossible to completely drain your tanks. But, there's a solution - Lego blocks. You can lay down 2/3/4 under each T@B wheel to raise and get a good drain. Had to do that at the last dump I was at.

Sure hope I never get behind Ratkity at a dump station - might as well unhook and go to lunch ;-)
  • Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    PXLated said:

One thing you'll run into on occassion is a dump that slopes to your rear.
    @PXLated, these days, everything seems to slope to my rear. Jus' sayin'
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    After I dump for the 2nd time, I put about 1/2 gal. of water in the tank with some dish soap and a cup of fabric softener.  Seems to work well.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,159
    Ice doesn't do much. A guy did a video demonstration testing the theory. Search YouTube.
    Ron said:
    Has anyone actually done the ice thing.  Sounds ilke putting ice in when you hit the road should work well to clean to inside and liquefy any solids that might be left inside after dumping.  Just asking, first land yacht.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    ChanW said:
    Ice doesn't do much. A guy did a video demonstration testing the theory. Search YouTube.
    Ron said:
    Has anyone actually done the ice thing.  Sounds ilke putting ice in when you hit the road should work well to clean to inside and liquefy any solids that might be left inside after dumping.  Just asking, first land yacht.

It was the FitRV.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    PXLated said:

Sure hope I never get behind Ratkity at a dump station - might as well unhook and go to lunch ;-)
    *snort* =) 

As a scientist, the entire procedure is well-timed and efficiently done!

There was a four lane dump station (dual stations) at a KOA where not only did I get my tanks dumped and in order, but there were still two pull campers (not 5th wheels) that were still there after I dumped the tanks and then was waiting in line to get propane tank filled, replacing tank in bin, re-inspecting all TV connections and functions, and finally pulling away from the entire place.

As a microbiologist, you're lucky I'm not in PPE (biohazard gear) because of accidents and mistakes that happen to other folks who have used those stations. If they weren't so darn slippery, I'd wear disposable shoe covers (ok.. long time ago in upper NY state - they used to call those reusable shoe covers "rubbers" - as a 5 yr old, I was admonished when I said something putting them on my shoes so I didn't mess them up to go play after my family moved to the South LOL).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)