Options

Tire on "new" T@B blew out

I have less than 2000 miles on my 2015 T@B Sofitel purchased last July. Not only did the tire disinigrate but when it was changed, Easter morning on a lonely country road, I was told the other tire was "about to blow" and I should limp to the next town and get two new tires asap. According to the two unrelated, separate & unsolicited opinions I received, both tires were " crappy", and I was taken by whomever sold me the trailer. 
And that would be the unnamed dealer in Eugene OR. Really? I paid probably way too much for my new trailer to avoid this sort of thing. I am very conscientious with everything, especially such an expensive investment. Has anyone else had this experience? I am very disappointed.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    This would be a question best discussed with your dealer. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Lil_L's_Sofitel_15Lil_L's_Sofitel_15 Member Posts: 30
    In my case, yes. But my question is, am I alone or have others experienced this?
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    If the trailer was used and tires were replaced by the dealer,  their issue.  Otherwise, in a new unit, LG is purchasing the wheels and tires.  Don't dump on your dealer, without knowing all the facts.  LG might need to know their tires might have to be replaced by another brand.  Plus, almost all the ST trailer tires are made in China, even the brand names.  Read reviews on the different brands, best to go with that information for replacement,
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    Did your unrelated, separate, and unsolicited opinionators indicate why they felt both tires were crappy, and that the other was about to blow? Worn treads? Sidewall bulges? Weather checking?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Also, what air pressure were the tires inflated.  ST trailer tires are rated for no more than 60 mph, except for some brands that allow to 65 mph with a certain inflation.
     Once again, these are specs for trailer ST tires, light truck tires are a whole different ball game.
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    I hope that your trailer wasn't damaged.  Good ST tires are hard to come by.  On a tractor forum that I visit, one guy that hauls on small trailers, not semis, swears by Greenball tires.  Harder to find though.  Costco sells them with a few catches.  One they have to order them and two, the store I asked will only install tire and balance.  You have to remove and replace wheel and tire on trailer.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    My 2016T@B Max S has the same tires that T@Bnero listed.  It's nice that LG over specs the tires.  Most trailers that I have bought the tires only meet or barely exceed the axel weights.  My axel should come in at around 2000# if I can stop adding things.  This leaves well over 1000# of unused tire capacity.  Don't want any tire blow outs to spook the buggy horses now do we.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    ST tire max speed is 65 MPH, per standards.  Any speed over this sustained will cause tire damage and blowouts especially in the summer!
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Lil_L's_Sofitel_15Lil_L's_Sofitel_15 Member Posts: 30
    edited April 2016
    These are the tires the Sofitel comes with, ST. The tire tread left on the remaining tire is almost gone, which was the basis for the above opinions given. The trailer was not overloaded, the tires were checked before launch & pressure was mid range. 
    Maybe I was going too fast. That is all I can think. I do tend to go faster than 55 ... Darn led in my foot
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    edited April 2016
    Assuming they were new to begin with, 2K seems like pretty low mileage for the treads to be almost gone. Regardless, unless the tread was completely gone and you were starting to eat into the belts, I wouldn't expect that alone to cause (or even contribute to) a blowout.

Blowouts usually result after continued use of a tire whose integrity has been compromised, either from a rare manufacturing defect or from less-than-obvious road damage such as pothole impacts or punctures. Overheating from under-inflation, excessive speed, or perhaps even a dragging brake can also factor in.

Getting back to your original question, it doesn't sound like others have experienced this. It probably falls in to the unfortunate category of stuff happens--though it's pretty crappy when it happens to your practically brand new expensive camper. I've never had a dramatic blowout, but I've experienced just about ever other insult to my tires you can imagine. It's a tough world out there!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    c2seasidec2seaside Member Posts: 4
    Lil L, 
    I also experienced a blowout on my 2 week old 2015 T@B. Similarly, the other tire was bald. The force of the blowout actually bent the frame and the chassis had to be replaced. I, and the insurance investigators determined that is was likely multi factorial to do with tire pressure. I was driving x-country and went from 90 degree heat to 20 degree temps and back to almost 100 degrees in the middle of Nevada when the tire blew. Even though I had been checking the pressure (and apparently did not note the extent of tread wear) I suspect the tires were a little overinflated due to the heat and having put a touch of air in when the temp fell below freezing. Speed could also have contributed, but I tow with a hybrid and am very careful not to exceed 65 mph. Most of the trip I was under this, but It was highway/freeway travel so certainly speed may have played a part!

i replaced the tires with radials and have had no issues since, although I'm much more aware now of my tire pressure!
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I just drove 1400 miles out from Michigan to Colorado Springs.  This was on my mind the entire trip and inasmuch as I stayed close to the 65 mph mark I saw others exceeding the speed.  There were two contract transport pickups out of Indiana pulling 30' travel trailers and they zipped by me doing at a minimum, 70 mph.  I saw them about 10 minutes later with a badly blown trailer tire and could smell the rubber burning in advance of seeing them.  

I agree, you need to keep the speeds down and ensure proper inflation.  Early on my trailer began bouncing (at 45# tire inflation) some on an uneven interstate surface.  I pulled off and let 5# out and the ride smoothed out, minus the bouncing.  I know my rims are not balanced and do plan to get this done as that is something that is missed by people and it does help.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    I only have less than 3000 miles on my 2015 and am replacing tires.  The RV repair shop is checking the axle and brakes also.  Even though LG has worked hard to have the issues with my T@B corrected, I am also disappointed with all the problems I have had.  Cuteness can only go so far.  Wish I still had my Scamp.

Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH