Options

Brake Controller Recommendation?

kellywkellyw Member Posts: 56

Hello T@b'rs,

I have a tow package on my 2011 Honda Pilot and it came with a brake controller wire & fuse in a plastic bag in the glove box. I asked the dealer about it today and he said "Oh, you need a Brake Controller. This connects the vehicle to the brake controller." So, like any good T@B owner, I went to the Amazon to find one. ;) I found this one that seemed highly rated (http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90195-Electronic-Brake-Control/dp/B000P17NXQ?ie=UTF8&keywords=brake controller&qid=1459880423&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1) has anyone used this or do you recommend something else? Is this something I can install myself, or does it require rolling around on the ground and climbing under things? =)

2021 T@B 400 Boondock White/White; TV: 2020 Honda Ridgeline 
2015 T@B Sofitel Silver/Silver;  TV: 2011 Honda Pilot
Maryland's Eastern Shore - Ravens, Crabs, Bohs & O's!

Traveling with Violet Bean, most of the time...

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I just had the Tekonsha P3 installed. The trailer place said I really didn't need it for such a light trailer but also said it would be really easy to use. It disconnects easily and comes in a nice case so you can stow it out of sight when not in use. I haven't used it though, no T@B yet!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Thanks Photomom! I hope you get your T@B soon. :)

• Options
    Next week, we hope! Of course, we just had another "winter storm event" with a few inches of snow and single digit temps, so it's not like we'll be camping soon. 
  • Options

Thanks ST_Bob that's very helpful info! I think I will leave the install to the professionals ;) The service guy said I have everything else I need, just bring in the brake controller and the wire back and he'll have them install it for me. He said the part it connects to is under the dash already. I've towed my pontoon before with the connector plugged in but that trailer didn't have breaks so I never went through this towing that. I'm expecting my T@B will tow a lot smoother with electric brakes.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    @kellyw, don't forget you'll also need a 12 volt line to charge the T@B battery as you're driving. 
  • Options
    Looking up 12 Volt line now. Thanks @Photomom & @ST_Bob you've both been so helpful. :)

• Options
    If I don't intend to run the fridge while towing (I usually just pack a little cooler) do I have to do the 12 volt line? Or is that just if I'm running the fridge on the battery? 

• Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    I have a P3 and am very happy with it. Have needed the "boost" function several times coming down steep grades. Works great
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    duncanmarladuncanmarla Member Posts: 12
    We had the RF Prodigy installed and after our episode on our maiden voyage with our TV breaking down, it was really useful having the remote controller as we towed the T@B with 3 different vehicles over the course of 3 days, now we have a new TV and all we need is the 7 way receptacle and charge line installed. Also the T@B dealer advised against the in-cab as there is not much room in the cockpit.
    2016 Subie Outback V6. S Max. 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    kellyw, if you have the factory tow package with a standard 7-pin trailer receptacle, it's a good bet that you already have a 12V line installed.

Be aware that on some vehicles the 12V line turns off when the key is off, on others it may be hot all the time. In the latter case, an appliance like the fridge can drain your vehicle battery if you leave it parked for an extended period.
    2015 T@B S