Options

Locking the Zamp Solar Panels

The side metal panels of the Zamp are pretty thick at 1/4" and are much thicker than the flimsy aluminum legs.  I drilled a 1/2" hole on the outside of each panel being careful not to damage the back of the solar panels.  Bought a 15' cable and 2 1/2" padlock at Walmart for about $20.  I put the holes low near the ground so as not to have the cable get snagged by someone's foot.  You'll need at least a 2 1/2" shank to make this work.  The picture below shows the cable treaded through the Outback platform.  This is fine as long as the sun is on that side of the trailer.  The next day I moved the cable to the front tongue - this way the panels can be easily moved to follow the sun throughout the day.  Not perfect by any means, but for $20 and 1/2 hour of time, its cheap insurance for a $800 solar array.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Luv it! I got the same locks, two similar 15 ft cables with machined crimped looped ends. I was just going to use the leg supports, but now you've done it....I gotta be like OutbackAZ!! LOL
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

I'm also going to engrave my license number on each panel as well as any other "stealables" that I bring camping.  I've also recorded all serial numbers and vehicle VIN number in the notes section of my iPhone.  In case anything is stolen, I'll have those numbers immediately available for the police/sheriff.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.