Options

DE-WINTERIZING

SAY ....  we are new to this with a newly purchased T@B s model.  We are wondering whether you have to de-winterize, in order to check the ALDE system for heat.  We're troubleshooting the lack of heat and appreciate the forum comments as it has directed us.  Q:  Do we have to fill the water lines, before testing the heat and does everything have to be "on" in order to just test the heat?  Some said throw all the breakers on, but if we do that, we're afraid the water will not be filled and the water tank would be "on."  -- We'd appreciate any experiential advice.  Thanks 
(Also, any general voice of experience on de-winterizing wouldn't hurt...to avoid pitfalls.) 

Comments

• Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    The Alde heat works independent of the hot water ( closed glycol loop ). We winterized in October but have used the heat on two long trips since then. Probably won't dewinterize until May but are planning another week long trip next week.
  • Options
    luvmytabluvmytab Member Posts: 66
    I used my alde system a month or so ago in colorado without de-winterizing, since we still had freezing temps to come...then just brought some jugs of water along. Nice and toasty!
    Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    luvmytab said:
    I used my alde system a month or so ago in colorado without de-winterizing, since we still had freezing temps to come...then just brought some jugs of water along. Nice and toasty!
    Yes, that's what I did when winter camping. I agree! Very toasty!

If you still have antifreeze in the system, make sure you have the bypass on. As long as you have the bypass on, you can still set the thermostat lever on the far right (if you have the analog one) to the second position that shows water and heat. You can test the heat that way. So, no, you do not need water to test the heat. Regarding the breakers - do you meaning setting the lightning bolts to 3 bolts on the Alde panel? If so, I never set the Alde past 2 bolts on household power out of an abundance of caution. If you are on 30 amp service, 3 bolts is fine. There is no difference in power output from 1 to 2 bolts as both are 950w. The fastest way to heat up the T@b is to use the Alde on LP and electric. The LP will automatically shut off when you reach the desired temperature.

If you are ready to dewinterize, after you have cleared the antifreeze from the T@b water lines and treated the lines with a Clorox or special treatment soltution, you can switch the valves from the winter position. Do a search for both winterizing and de-winterizing to find photos of the Alde valves that match your set-up.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ST_Bob said:
    Either 1 or 2 is identical heat - only 3 bolts gives you 1800 watts and will use the full capacity of a typical 15 amp home AC circuit.  
    1900 watts

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014