Options

Anyone Towing with a 6 Cylinder Van? Into the Mts?

ADKersADKers Member Posts: 13
edited May 2016 in Trailer & Towing
We are about to embark on a trip out west (2000+ miles) headed to Glacier and were planning on towing with our 6 cylinder Sienna Van.  Are we crazy? This is rated for 3500 and so we thought we're ok, but some people (non-T@B owners) are saying we need a truck.   What has been your experience?

Comments

• Options
    ddetarddetar Member Posts: 23
    I am using a Kia Sorento 6 cyl.  It has 275 HP and does fine.  We went into the mountains this weekend and had no trouble.  I used 3rd gear all the way up.
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    We haven't towed through the mountains yet, but our RAM C/V (3600lb tow rating) tows our T@B very well. 5th gear on the interstates. Your vehicle will do fine, I don't think you need a truck. Plus in the van you have all that secured cargo  room, that's why I got mine.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Does it have the towing package?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    LibrarydragonLibrarydragon Member Posts: 103
    We have a V6 RAV4 with a towing capacity of 3500. We towed our T@B through the Sierra's and Rockies with no problems.
    Sara&Carl
    2015 max s outback, TV 2011 RAV4, V6, 4x4, & 2017 Tacoma Off-road 4x4
    Soquel, CA
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    edited April 2016
    we have a 6 cyl Tacoma, 6500lbs towing capacity, and it's "OK" over our 10K passes...ya just gotta take it slow.  If we were in a hurry we'd take a plane...;-)

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    2015 and newer Sienna's have the tow package by default, fwiw.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Ford escape 4 cyl with towing rating 3,500.  Has worked well in California mountains (not made it to Colorado or Utah yet.
  • Options
    longleafpinelongleafpine Member Posts: 12
    Longleafpine
    We tow with a 2011 Honda Odyssey and it does the job very well. I will add that we after market added the brake controller and transmission cooler. As with everyone else mileage while towing drops to 13 to 17 mph. We use the rear seat hanging rod as a closet and can carry anything we think we need. We have consolidated items with plastic bins.
  • Options
    leroybortleroybort Member Posts: 61
    We tow with a 2004 Odyssey and so far so good.  No real mountains yet, but lots of hills. We don't have anything special on it except what the dealer said we had to have - like lights.
    Sug@rsh@ck -  2016 Max S Outback, 2016 Nissan Pathfinder.  
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  We ended up using our van and are half-way across the USA.  Everything is fine with the towing...except: We are having trouble with 30 amp fuses blowing. We've narrowed it down and believe it's due to a faulty wiring job of the installation of the 7 way after-market plug--or electric brakes.  Tomorrow's the appt to get it diagnosed.  If possible, use a car with factory installed towing harness.  
  • Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    Our 2001 Honda Odyssey did not do well even though we added the biggest Trans oil cooler I could find.  The torque converter over heated.  I even have a temp gauge.  Early Honda Odyssey's have issues.  Our friend with your Seinna has had no trouble and he pulls a heavy tent trailer with a kitchen and bath.  Enjoy your time!
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Back from 6000+ trip and the Sienna was great!  -- No problems.  We downshifted over the Rockies and kept it in low gear, but that was all we had to do.  T@B tows like a dream.   We got an average of 15 MPG while we towed.  My van keeps track of that. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    we have a 6 cyl Tacoma, 6500lbs towing capacity, and it's "OK" over our 10K passes...ya just gotta take it slow.  If we were in a hurry we'd take a plane...;-)
    My Wrangler crawled over Monarch Pass.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    ADKers- what was the issue with your 30 amp fuse?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @SAM - It was the break controller.  The person who ran the break controller wire ran it too close to the muffler and it melted the wire, causing a short. After the nice hitch place troubleshot and fixed, we had NO issue.  
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    That happens more often than you know.  Good argument for the Prodigy RF model.  We will be towing with a Sienna as well.  Good to know it was smooth sailing.  What kind of highway speeds with the 15 MPG?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    mash2 My wife has a 4 cyl 2012 escape and it is only rated for 1,000 pounds towing, not 3,500. Are you sure yours is not the 6 cyl? Thanks Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    edited May 2016
    Art, the Ford escape with Ecoboost 2.0 engine with factory tow package is rated for 3,500 (at least with the 2014 model).  I was using a Forester (rated at 2,400) and the Ford definitely has significantly more power (HP and torque are both 250 as I recall).  The 1.6 engine is only rated for around 1,000 lbs.  Does your wife have a 2.0 ecoboost or just the straight 1.6 engine?

And yes the 2.0 ecoboost is a 4 cylinder engine.  
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The 2012 Escape was before the drastic body changes. The 6 cyl could tow 3500 lbs, but not the 4 cyl. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    mash, thanks for the reply and I wish we had the newer one Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge