Options

Sway bar or no sway bar

I drive a 2006 Kia Sedona van and will be towing our very first T@B S Max. I've read many forum entries referring to sway bar, but do recall a direct question. I want to know thoughts on if it is needed. Basically, looking for Pros and Cons.
Thanks

Marc & Janet
2016 T@B Max S - 2017 Honda Pilot - Winchester,VA

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I don't recall anyone saying you need one other than some dealers trying to sell people one.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I have had them on previous trailers. We do not have one on our T@B and I do not intend to install one. I would put my money somewhere else.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Do not use sway bars if you have surge brakes.  They defeat the function of the brakes.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    We used sway bars for our 6,000 lb trailer. We don't seem to need them for our Tab.  Don't miss the extra work!
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited April 2016
    My dealer includes it on all the T@Bs he sells. Not sure if it's a CYA move on his part or not (nothing wrong with that, btw). I've had the same question and drove with and without when I had my 2006 Rav4 with factory tow pkg (V6) and the same with my new TV, my 2015 GMC Canyon pickup. In the Rav, I noticed no difference; however, I was not traveling with the T@B in high wind areas that had gusts more than 30ish mph. I kept the sway bar in the Rav just in case. I have yet to run the sway bar with the extra-long hitch on the new pickup and pulling the T@B, but the option is there if necessary. 

When I asked my sister about her 2004 Ford Explorer Sportrac with tow pkg, she had no issues without using the bar while towing her Outback (slightly higher axel height). When her BF towed the Outback with his Jeep (a CJ - type), they noticed handling issues and realized they might need to use the sway bar with that TV. She said with his Tow Vehicle (TV), handling improved dramatically using the bar, but it wasn't a critical issue (as in, they couldn't proceed with the trip because of trailer sway if they didn't have the sway bar or the option to put it back on).  

I think it's a combination of the profile, wheelbase, and type of TV you are using in addition to the T@B being a very light camper. My T@B is prone to bouncing a bit and it's been mentioned in other threads that not only are campers (normal land yachts and light weight ones) not meant to be towed at excess highway speeds, the tires put on campers (including T@Bs) are not rated for speeds much over 55-60 mph.

Keeping your speed low with a TV that was not set up in the factory to tow (no factory tow package) and has a fuel efficient transmission and engine is the key. It can still safely tow the T@B if the driver is cautious and takes things slow. The sway bar may aid in handling, but it is not necessary. When it comes to high crosswinds, no one can circumvent nature. Big rigs and large campers are known to get blown over (go do a YouTube search). Smart campers/drivers adjust their driving to the weather, elevation and winds, even if it means cancelling travel plans for the day. 

Some people just put the sway bar on for no more than peace of mind, and there's nothing wrong with that either. Just don't forget to take it OFF when you start to back it up. That sucker will bend nicely in half when you turn sharp (not even a full jackknife). Expensive piece of metal to replace. 

I hope some of this helps!

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Ours came with it from dealer ( did not charge) we use it for the "extra piece of mind" but doubt its needed. We do have to remember to disconect when backing

John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    duckblind123duckblind123 Member Posts: 61
    Thank you for all the helpful comments. I think I will find another use for my money.

Marc & Janet
    2016 T@B Max S - 2017 Honda Pilot - Winchester,VA

• Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    My dealer said I don't need one for the T@B Max S Outback I just ordered.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road