Options

Which Thermarest mattress do you use and why?

I'm considering one and would be interested in how long you've had one and the difference you have found between your last mattress and the quality of sleep attained therein?  I did see that there are difference models available and am looking for info and recommendations.  

Thanks
Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited April 2016
    Mike, I use the Luxury Map Sleeping Pad by Therm-A-Rest. It uses pressure mapping and is very comfortable. I was using a queen size sleeping pad from Cabelas Ultimate that was queen size that was awesome with my RTT. I like the bed to be very soft.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    We use two Exped backpacking mattresses; used to deflate them every night, but now we just partially deflate, fold them in half and put them behind the back seat.  On top of them we put a 1" foam pad (with sheet)...all very comfy, but I'm sure not an optimal solution.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Timely topic @Michigan_Mike.  We use a 2" memory foam mattress, but it is not a comfortable as I would like and I would also like something a bit easier to handle.  I would be interested in what others do.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I have the 3" memory foam folded in half. Comfy, but cumbersome (I sleep crossways on the back bench). VERY stiff to move when it's chilly. Interested too, but anything inflatable makes me cold on one side and sweat terribly on the other. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    Milliard queen size 2 inch memory foam topper with bamboo cover
  • Options
    VagabondsVagabonds Member Posts: 35
    We use a 3" memory foam topper from costco. It is comfy but soft. Because we have the CS-S our challenge is where to put it when we want to use the dinette. After a few wrestling matches putting it in and out of the T@b bath I found some collapsible lawn bags that it fits in rolled up in the largest of the set. Now it can go in a corner of the side tent or the Jeep during the day! 
    Pam (and the husband..+2 golden retrievers)--2016 T@b M@x CS-S Sofitel (towed by a 2015 Jeep WrglrUnlim Rubicon)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    ALPS Mountaineering 77" long and I think 30" wide, 2" thick. (I bought it from another camper.) 

I had a 3" memory foam mattress, wasn't slerping well on it, couldn't store it behind the mattress and I got tired of the bed being down all the time--I like the sofa. I mentioned it to another camper, she loaned me the ALPS, I slept on it one night and preferred it to the memory foam. I bought it and I'm happy that it will fit behind the sofa with the twin sheets and fleece blanket I use. 

I am not getting that "cold" air mattress feeling from it. But two weeks ago, I was still using the Alde which does heat the cushions. We'll see the next time I camp. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Nerdy1Nerdy1 Member Posts: 60
    We use a 3" memory foam mattress.  I role it and stow it behind the seat.  If we staying in one place, I loosely roll it, leave the seat back flat, and use it as a back rest.  It is comfortable either way.
    T@BOO - 2016 Outback Max S in New Mexico towed by 2016 Toyota Highlander (soon)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I'm buying a pick up here within the next couple of days so I will have some additional room for gear and such. I've heard a lot about the Thurmer rest pads and although I do have a gel type mattress that I need to cut down The information does help and I think the challenge is to feel in the small gaps where the cushions intersect one another. If you can obtain a flat surface without the voids, sleeping should be a little bit more enjoyable.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    I'm buying a pick up here within the next couple of days so I will have some additional room for gear and such. I've heard a lot about the Thurmer rest pads and although I do have a gel type mattress that I need to cut down The information does help and I think the challenge is to feel in the small gaps where the cushions intersect one another. If you can obtain a flat surface without the voids, sleeping should be a little bit more enjoyable.
    That is a very helpful comment, Mike, I as I have been wondering if I can do without my Thermarest with my cushion upgrade. The gap would be very annoying any time you are having trouble sleeping. I like that m sleeping pad fits into a sleeve in my sleeping bag so I never slide off of the pad. I also like that I can leave it inflated and that it fits inside behind the bench with the sleeping bag.  I guess my answer to myself is, if it ain't broke...

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    fireflyfirefly Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2016

I used to have one that you would blow up from Coleman which I would find I was cold sleeping on the ground summer tent camping. I decided to buy Therm-A-Rest rest base camp I wasn't sure about buying it looking at how thin it is but the sales guy told me that it would work better then my air only blowup one. It's not important how thick it is with air but what's inside it. I am so glad I bought it I had no problem it only gets used now when I go tent camping (but I never thought about having it in my teardrop for extra padding) for tent camping I find that I'm no longer having a cold backside. When not in use it is recommended to leave unrolled & open don't close the valve. I leave mine between the couch & the wall when I'm not using it. I've had mine for eight years now.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/camp-and-comfort/basecamp/product

• Options
    Has anyone tried Thermarest product http://www.cascadedesigns.com/Therm-A-Rest/Mattresses/Camp-And-Comfort/LuxuryMap/product ? I was looking for something that fit crosswise (72 inches). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    Has anyone tried Thermarest product http://www.cascadedesigns.com/Therm-A-Rest/Mattresses/Camp-And-Comfort/LuxuryMap/product ? I was looking for something that fit crosswise (72 inches). 
    Yes, this is what I use. I am quite happy with it.

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited April 2016
    It is expensive, but I am really liking the looks of the Dreamtime.  It is nice also because you can mate two together for when Becky and I are camping together.

Leaning more and more towards getting one.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    *sigh* I don't have a Becky to share one with (or any other person lol), so that feature isn't a big deal for me lol. Thank you for the recommendations!! :)
  • Options
    leroybortleroybort Member Posts: 61
    We bought a gel foam mattress topper which I slide into a king duvet instead of using sheets.  He brings his down comforter with cover and I bring my twin size quilt - no sheet.  Hate sleeping bags.  I'm going to cut the topper to fit better and then cut that in half and use 2 twin duvets on each half for the sheets.  I'm hoping it will be easier to wrangle and to roll up and use as the couch back or to fit behind the couch in the space back there.
    Sug@rsh@ck -  2016 Max S Outback, 2016 Nissan Pathfinder.  
  • Options
    JeanneJeanne Member Posts: 65
    I bought two large self inflating camp mattresses from REI.  With two we put them together in the middle. Do not fit the bed exactly, but give my husband extra length for his feet. Made flannel cases that we roll up with them an fit under the bed for storage.   Throw a comforter on top. First trip with them, I slept better than ever. You can adjust the air to your preference and they have an insulation factor, so they don't get cold. 
    2014 T@B S Max, TV 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, Richland, WA
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    edited April 2016
    Since I leave the bed made all the time, I purchased a 4" foam sofa sleeper replacement mattress, twin sized.  It fits perfectly.  Over that, I use a mattress topper of 2" memory foam and 2" of fiber fill.  A bit much?  Naw, I sleep great!
  • Options
    Harvey has yet to try out the new LuxuryMap thermarest that JUST arrived this weekend. I also purchased the washable sheet and the Velo down blanket that attaches to the mattress or sheet so Harvey won't fall off the ~3" thick mattress pad. I've very excited. I still have get the factory to reply to me about the rear bottom panel crack before I feel comfortable taking out the T@Bitha camping. This Princess and her pea-sensitive bear will give a report as soon as we can get it set up. Right now, the thermarest is uninflating and expanding as per instructions. It's making me itchy to camp!!!
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited April 2016
    I put away the T@B cushions and got two queen size 4" memory foam (two 4" was much cheaper than 8") I cut them in half and cut them short enough. I stack them and use one set of the foam when solo (and the front half of the T@B cushions as seats) and both sets of the foam when Rick is with me. We leave the bed up all the time. With the clamshell, we don't have a sofa back. I use standard twin size mattress pads and fitted sheets. They are a little big, but just tuck under the extra. Our big recliners outside under the awning are where we sit. The inside is purely for sleeping and changing clothes.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Good thing Harvey doesn't read the forums. Him and Pookie might start messaging ideas back and forth. He already loves the softness of the Velo Therarest quilt and is questioning my reasoning for putting sheets on all the cushions under the bedding. I don't think he realizes how easily I can spot his little footie prints all over the camper after I've been away visiting friends. Good thing the stove has a hinged cover! If I don't make sure the lock pin is in the frig door, he will raid the frig and make himself sick on my double-stuff oreo cookie snack packs. Geesh, bears, ya know?