Options

Need to replace Breakaway Cable....where to find one to fit T@B?

luvmytabluvmytab Member Posts: 66
My breakaway cable was dragging with tow chain for my first few trips before solving the dragging chain on highway. It split up rendering it unreliable. There does not seem to be a replacement for and Esco breakaway switch online and there are no local dealers. Mine appears to be interchangeable with the ones online but want to make sure it will work. Any suggestions on where to find replacement or if they are interchangeable with the Bargman breakaway kits? (it looks the same)
Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I've only replaced the entire assembly on a camper (not the T@B). Is the cable so badly damaged that you can't splice it? Just curious. Probably is, or you wouldn't be asking. 

*looks at empty coffee cup* Mor Kofee nao!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    luvmytab said:
    My breakaway cable was dragging with tow chain for my first few trips before solving the dragging chain on highway. It split up rendering it unreliable. There does not seem to be a replacement for and Esco breakaway switch online and there are no local dealers. Mine appears to be interchangeable with the ones online but want to make sure it will work. Any suggestions on where to find replacement or if they are interchangeable with the Bargman breakaway kits? (it looks the same)
    I would call Elsie in parts at Pleasant Valley. They should be able to either sell you the replacement or tell you what you need.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    thanks Jenn, i left a message at Pleasant Valley and hope they will return my call....as I am dying to get my trailer on the road!!

thanks for the info. the links you sent, Bob, were not going to work as there is no part # so the tech could not guarantee it was the correct part. thanks for all your other advice... i shall verify the tow tips on my rig.

Barbara in Durango... T@B Max S 2015...Red & White... pull with 2016 Toyota Forerunner
  • Options
    also, Bob, can you tell me more how quick links will work to shorten my chain? Can't seem to grasp exactly where to place them...... somehow wrap them thru the chain links?
  • Options
    Thanks Bob! sounds very confusing ....perhaps i shall have my son decifer..... i am definitely not mechanically minded....but i sure do love to get out in my T@B!
  • Options
    ok....elsie at pleasant valley got it ordered for me after I spoke with Edward in manufacturing to verify how to install the plastic piece into the box and verify that it would work and that i did not need to replace the box too. He told me a method of installing the piece to make it work .... there is a little trick to it.....it must be tight and lined up properly or it will not work. thanks for your help and 4 days should get the piece!!!!
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    luvmytab - Post some pics of how you do that - Could be useful if someone else needs to do it.
  • Options
    GlennBeckGlennBeck Member Posts: 71
    edited July 2018
    There are a few (of varying pin shape) on the market.  A friend, while helping me put our T@B in storage, accidentally messed up my cable and pin.  I was able to recover the pin but the cable was stretched and beyond reuse(both ends dislocated) and the pin loop is barely still intact.  I rebuilt the cable myself from cable and ferals from the local hardware haven (LOWES) but would like to know the electric brake breakaway model so I can buy a new (correct) pin.  Anyone know the brand/model info?  One more thing for my repair bag.
    Glenn & Annie
    2016 T@B CS-S Max Black on Silver
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    suewernersbachsuewernersbach Member Posts: 10
    Can you pull the pin manually?
  • Options
    Yes. they pin pulls right out of the receiving unit.  It's just a plastic "key" with the braided wire attached to the end.
    Glenn & Annie
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    @luvmytab, is it just the cable that is damaged? not the actual breakaway switch? On our 2017 CS T@B, there is a loop in the cable that hooks to the back of the TV and then another loop at the breakaway switch end. Both loops are held by crimping of the breakaway cable. If just the cable is damaged you can just replace the cable and not the switch.
    Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    If your pin is still good (with the loop intact) you can fabricate another cable.  I did this with similar braided, plastic covered cable from Lowes. I used ferrules to crimp the cable to make the loop on both ends.  One to connect to the pin and one to connect to the tow vehicle.
    Glenn & Annie
    2013 Toyota Tacoma V6 

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    An exact replacement can be obtained from Elsie in Parts, x304, at nüCamp. The main phone number is on the left in the category of “nüCamp and Forum Contacts”.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2018
    Can you pull the pin manually?
    As noted above you can, but don't do it as it could create some issues electrically (e.g., if left for an extended period of time you could end up burning up the brake wiring if the brakes engage, the wiring heats up, burns up, etc.) that if not addressed in short order, could damage your brakes and wiring.  

I accidentally pulled the pin out of my break-away box over a year ago (forgot to unhook the cable from the rear of my tow vehicle) but was able to get it back into the box and luckily nothing occurred.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ