Options

How to keep rain from coming in through the side vent for the A/C vent

Leo34Leo34 Member Posts: 16
We are to trailering and have a new TaB. I am wondering about the louvre vent for the A/C unit. Doesn't rain come in with a windy storm? Can the oblong standard vent be replaced with something like your home clothes dryer exhaust hose (the flapper opens when the dryer is on). The unit would have moveable slats that opened when the unit is running. Any suggestion?

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The factory makes a vinyl cover you can order that snaps into place to keep wind/rain from blowing in - look in the Teardrop shop or call Elsie (contact #s to the right). Also member "sabel" made one out of plastic corrugated that looked slick and was held in place by velcro.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Have you ever had rain come in, @PXLated ?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Not that I know of - Wouldn't know unless it overran the tray. Lots of both cold or hot air though.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Not that I know of - Wouldn't know unless it overran the tray. Lots of both cold or hot air though.
    I would think if anyone would have run into this, it would have been you. I don't have a cover and opted not to pick one up at PV last week. I have never had an issue and am not aware of anyone actually having an issue with the rain, mostly preventative actions.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn - Can't recall heavy rain pelting that side of the camper but I did make a cover like sabel to keep the wind out. Hard to keep the T@B warm when there's a 30mph wind blowing cold air in. Or the flip with hot air and the AC running.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - Can't recall heavy rain pelting that side of the camper but I did make a cover like sabel to keep the wind out. Hard to keep the T@B warm when there's a 30mph wind blowing cold air in. Or the flip with hot air and the AC running.
    I think am missing something - you aren't saying you cover the vent with the A/C running, are you?

• Options
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I made the same cover that sabel created. It has traveled down the highway and never moved. I need to glue the automotive edging I used as trim a bit better. Must.see.straight.edges. (hides label maker, multitude of levels and straight edges LOL). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    BertBert Member Posts: 87
    Living in Montana as I do, I'm a big fan of closing windows (or air-conditioning vents as the case may be) on cold nights and during storms. The vinyl snap-on cover seemed like a good addition to me, so it's now on our 2016 Tab Outback Max S.
  • Options
    PITPATPITPAT Member Posts: 32
    I had PV install the snap-on cover last fall in anticipation of spending the winter in Arizona boondocking. My concern was two-fold, cold air
    at night and sand blowing in on those windy days. Cover worked like a champ! No cold crafts and no irritating sand inside the T@B. It works.
    Patty
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2015 T@B CS-S Maxx  being towed by Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    edited April 2016
    PITPAT said:
    I had PV install the snap-on cover last fall in anticipation of spending the winter in Arizona boondocking. My concern was two-fold, cold air
    at night and sand blowing in on those windy days. Cover worked like a champ! No cold crafts and no irritating sand inside the T@B. It works.
    I had not thought about the sand - great point. I went through a pretty good storm last year when camping in Ridgway, but the a/c was away from the wind direction. 

The drafts don't bother me. I like the fresh air. 

• Options
    Jenn - And you leave your windows open when it's snowing so, uhhhhhh, what's a few drafts :-)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    *will try to find a huge walk-in freezer for jkjenn to park in if she ever visits the DC metro area*  =)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Leo34Leo34 Member Posts: 16

Thanks to all who responded. We went for the factory cover which works well. have to remember to remove it while traveling though.

Leo34