Options

Propane regulator?

On my first trip of the year with 2014 CS-S, i was unable to light the stove. It would briefly light when pushing the ignition knob but once release there was no gas flow. I then turned the Alde to gas and had a solid red light on the analog panel. Tank was full and tried a 2nd tank when I returned home with the same result. Inspected all the propane hoses and everything looks good and there are no leaks at any of the fittings. Seems like it has to be the regulator - does anyone have any other suggestion?
Bryan & Vicki 2014 T@B CS-S MaXX ** 2016 Chevy Silverado Double Cab
Transplanted Hoosier in Richmond, VA
Go Colts!

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I was going to suggest a bad propane tank but you tried two - Chances of both being bad would be low. You still might to have both checked.
    I got a bad exchange tank last summer. While full, it wouldn't put any out. Same symptoms as yours (Alde red light, etc)
  • Options
    BryanRBryanR Member Posts: 32
    I hooked up both tanks to my gas grill and they worked with no issue.
    Go Colts!

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If your stove works, your propane regulator is good.  It seems like someone had to adjust how far away the spark was from the ignitor, or something like that (I do not know the correct terminology to use here). If you can search you might find it or some more knowledgeable than myself might speak up. 

If you can find a Norcold dealer/repair business, they would be able to tell you. I'm making an assumption your warranty has run out. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I had already tried purging with no luck. Over the past couple of years the stove was aways hard to light which seemed to be a flow issue. After a little more research, I slightly adjusted the flow on the regulator last night and the stove lights right up and the solid red light on the Alde is gone with the propane setting. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Go Colts!

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Cool you found the solution!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Wasn't aware that there was an adjustment - Good to know.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    Me either. How do you do the adjustment, if you do need to do it?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I didn't either when I originally posted this question. I'm not sure if we all have the same regulator but mine is a Fairview GR-9930. If you remove the black screw on cap, you can adjust the flow with a screw driver. Clockwise increases and counterclockwise decreases. I turned a half a turn and it fixed the problem for me. I didn't take a picture with the black cap off but here is a picture of the regulator.
    Go Colts!

• Options
    Now where did I put that nanometer. I know I have one somewhere :-)
  • Options
    Mine doesn't look like that. It's more of a solid white plastic contraption, though that may just be a cap covering the metal innards. Never had reason to mess with it (and don't plan to) but I was curious about the adjustment.

PXL, a nanometer is about 25 millionths of an inch. I'm sure yours is right there in your T@B, you just can't see it.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Good read on RV propane regulators. It helps explain BryanR's experience, but also echos ST_Bob's advice:

http://www.rvdoctor.com/2001/01/avoiding-pitfalls-of-rv-propane-system.html
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ADKersADKers Member Posts: 13
    We are headed into the national parks and for the first time to camp without electricity.  Does anyone know how long the gas will typically heat (if on only at night - moderately -) while expecting about 40 degrees at night? 
  • Options
    How hot do you like it when you sleep? I meant the room temp!!! ;)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I get between a week and ten days running heat - Having some heat during the day also.
    If only at night I expect ten to fourteen depending on how much cooking I'm doing.

That low end seven days is where the Alde is running a lot.
  • Options
    I agree with PXLated--a week to 10 days depending on how much the Alde runs. The spare 20 lb tank I bought was a life saver (or it helped keep me warm).  It seems that I only run out of propane between 10 pm to 4 am. 10 pm means I'm getting up right away to exchange tanks. 4 am means pull the covers up and nap until 6 or 7 am when quiet time is over. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    In 20 months, I've only had one tank go out during the daytime. Think the average is 2:00 am.
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    @Verna, where do you store/carry your extra propane tank?
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    In 20 months, I've only had one tank go out during the daytime. Think the average is 2:00 am.
    There's going to be a journeyman badge for that in the T@B University. :)
  • Options
    @Verna, where do you store/carry your extra propane tank?
    In the bed of my pickup truck. As soon as one is empty, I look for an LG gas refill business, and I've never had trouble finding one. RV parks, Ace Hardware, some gas ststions, eyc. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    my propane regulator is working but we've been smelling propane as soon as we turn the tank on. finally found where its leaking. it is at the propane regulator bottom that has a check valve at the bottom , (vent system on the regulator.) it is attached vertically to the tab and a small fine amount of propane is flowing out and down. 
    hopefully replacing it with Fairview GR-9930 as stated above messages will be easy to do and fix