Options

TAB: Wire that runs through chain and is attached to hitch

RudibuckRudibuck Member Posts: 20
Hi all, Can anyone please confirm what the wire running through the hitch chain is for? It is connected under the hitch and is not part of the electrical wiring harness. Is it some sort of anti static line? Our walk thru with the new trailer was dismal at best

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Only wirery thing I can think of is the wire going to the electric emergency brake pin.
    Got a pic? If that's what it is, it shouldn't weave "thru" the chains.
  • Options
    Thank you, thank you. Fixing now!
  • Options
    Honaker35Honaker35 Member Posts: 47
    Actually I have owned campers my whole life and running that cable through the chain links is perfectly fine. 
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Honaker35 said:
    Actually I have owned campers my whole life and running that cable through the chain links is perfectly fine. 
    Sorry, disagree.  The emergency brake cable should be attached so that if the hitch and chains fail, it will engage the brake.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have not seen an emergency brake cable inside the safety chains. The cable and the safety chains have two different functions, and must be separate. (When I got my T@B last summer, I had never paid attention to the emergency brake cable, and now I notice evety one!)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I posted this once before, but perhaps it bears repeating, especially for those who may have missed it the first time around.  It is a study on trailering published by the extension service at Purdue University.  The section on emergency brake cables starts of page 58.
    https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/ppp/ppp-92.pdf

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Thanks RZ. I missed that one the first go-round! Never too edumacated to learn new stuff.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Yeah, thanks RZ. I appreciate a comprehensive and thoughtful resource that goes beyond telling you what to do and tries to explain why--including discussing opposing arguments for divergent practices (like the proper length of the cable). 

In my limited experience, even dealers make these mistakes when sending new owners down the road. It's easy to see how bad practices are perpetuated. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    We are very grateful for all the members of this forum. As new owners of a trailer, and new to camping, all the expert and well informed comments have been a BIG benefit to us. Thank you!
  • Options
    We were all newbies once :-)
    I personally find it amazing how much knowledge there is here in the forum and a lot of just good, helpful people.
  • Options
    ST_Bob said:
    Honaker35 said:
    Well you've been lucky then.  When the hitch becomes uncoupled the chains will snap tight and capture that cable so it cannot possibly pull out the emergency brake switch on the trailer.  It's dangerous and could result in an unguided 2000 pound trailer flying across the highway and median possibly killing someone.  I politely as possible suggest that you READ THE MANUAL for the safety switch and cable.  If your trailer doesn't have one - get one.
    Not lucky just an understanding how things work. You run the cable in such a way that when it does become unhooked and the chains become tight it is still able to pull that cable and work properly 
  • Options
    Sorry, I'll go with the freely hanging wire - Sounds chancy thru the chains and I can't see "any" advantage doing it that way.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    My tech at the dealer specifically said not through the chains.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    JeanneJeanne Member Posts: 65
    Having bought our T@B a year ago from previous owner, I think there is probable still a lot we don't know. Had a great servicing done locally a month ago and they checked everything for us. Put a connector on the brake cable and told us to attach it to the vehicle separate from the chains. I would have never thought to even ask. 
    2014 T@B S Max, TV 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, Richland, WA
  • Options
    Well I think it is safe to safe for everyone to do what they feel is right. As me I'll keep my cable ran throughout the chain because my cable is much long than my chains so if I do become unhooked when it tightens up on the chains my cable will be loose and be of no use to me at all. 
  • Options
    Do what works for ya Honaker but think it's risky for the average bear.
  • Options
    Honacker35 has our best and honest advice. What he does with it is up to him.  Ths is enough on this subject. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    I saved this to my documents file in case I have a question later down the road.  This was a very informative document in all aspects of towing.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Special thanks to RZRBUG for the Purdue article. Learned a lot.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    Glad I caught this thread.  The dealer ran my electric brake wire through the chain and attached it to the hook that hooks the chain to the hitch.  I asked on a second visit to the dealer if that was the way it was suppose to be because it didn't seem right to me. If the chain breaks away the electric brake cable goes with it and I kept thinking that made no sense.  What do you use to connect it to the hitch?  Could someone post a picture of theirs?  

Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I put mine kind of resting above the chains, but not through them. On my original tow vehicle, it was on the same loops the chain hooked too, but on my current tow vehicle, the loops are too fat to get the hook around, so I purchased another hook that is on the loop, and then the breakaway cable is hooked onto that.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Glad I caught this thread.  The dealer ran my electric brake wire through the chain and attached it to the hook that hooks the chain to the hitch.  I asked on a second visit to the dealer if that was the way it was suppose to be because it didn't seem right to me. If the chain breaks away the electric brake cable goes with it and I kept thinking that made no sense.  What do you use to connect it to the hitch?  Could someone post a picture of theirs?  

Ditto. Pictures please.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
      What do you use to connect it to the hitch?  Could someone post a picture of theirs?  

Quick links can be found at the hardware store. Use one to connect it to the metal loop that holds the safety chains on the hitch.

It's also a good time to remind people that you should cross the safety chains when hooking up.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    @RZRBUG, great find, thanks for posting.

Just a note, the photos of the accident on the first few pages are from an accident that occurred on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in 2007.  A trailer broke loose in the worst possible place and killed three people.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    OK thanks.  I have a quick link,  the dealer used the quick link to hook it to the chain.  

Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    Bobbo said:
    A snap link like this works too.

The snap link typically does not have the 5,000 lb strength of the quick link. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Bobbo said:
    A snap link like this works too.

The snap link typically does not have the 5,000 lb strength of the quick link. 
    Plus, having worked in ropes course facilitation, you would never use something with a snap link where there is the possibility of it being inadvertently open. Trust me, in an accident, the could easily, inadvertently open.

• Options
    Maybe a good time to remind people to lock the hitch once hooked up. If locked, the only way the safety cable comes into play is if the whole hitch receiver breaks away.
  • Options
    This is how I do mine and have done it this way on every camper I have ever owned  I do it this way if trailer becomes unhooked it will pull the cable out of the box and engage the brakes  even if the chain breaks because now the cable has been shortened up  
  • Options
    2canoe2canoe Member Posts: 74
    RZRBUG said:
    I posted this once before, but perhaps it bears repeating, especially for those who may have missed it the first time around.  It is a study on trailering published by the extension service at Purdue University.  The section on emergency brake cables starts of page 58.
    https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/ppp/ppp-92.pdf
    Thanks for posting this site.  I learned a lot and we will be reviewing a couple of our practices--like twisting the chain to take up slack.  You can teach an old dog new tricks.
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max