Options

Alternatives to vent cover?

rodsgliderodsglide Member Posts: 7
edited November 2014 in Tips & Tricks
Does anyone have a trick for running the fan during the rain without a vent cover?  The spot for our storage isn't tall enough to allow for a cover to be mounted permanently, and its too tall to set one up there when we reach our destination.  Are there alternative to a cover?

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Before deciding to mount my vent cover permanently, I used suction cups to hold it to the roof when camped, not during transport. It worked. I found suction cups with wire loops attached at Walmart.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Something as simple as a plastic wash tub might work or when you are in a pinch, a tarp thrown over the top and tied off should work.  But you'd need a small ladder to get up high enough to place something over the top or possibly toss a weighted line over the trailer and pull a tarp up and over?  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70
    LG uses a three speed vent/fan made by Fan-Tastic.  It is a high quality fan made by a company with a reputation for great customer support.  They also make a version with a rain sensor that will close the vent when it rains; some people like it, others report that they can't count on it.  I have a similar feature on skylights in my home and have had similar experiences.  An alternative to the Fan-Tastic vent isthe MaxxFan Deluxe made by MaxxAir, which costs a little more but comes as a 10-speed fan with a built in rain cover. I recently ordered a T@B and have requested that LG install the MaxxFan.  I don't know yet whether or not that will happen, but am hoping to avoid adding a more conventional rain guard to stay dry.  The MaxxFan link: http://www.maxxair.com/products/maxxfan/maxxfan_deluxe_manual.php.
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
    2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"
  • Options
    Here is some additional information via a discussion we had over in the LG forum area.
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I have one of the Fan-Tastic fans with the rain sensor. Love it.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I've been thinking about that upgrade as well.  A remote in a T@B is a bit of overkill, but a 15 speed fan seems really nice too.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I went with the Fantastic Fan vent cover and have not regretted it. Yes, it has a high profile, but it was only about $50 and I keep my vent open worry-free now.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    No regrets with my Aeroflo vent cover and like Jenn's, it keeps the rain out and I've been out in downpours so I know it works....  

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Speaking of fans... I need to share for those contemplating a T@b how truly awesome the Fantastic fan and the design of the T@b is at keeping you cool in heat. We have an A/C, but setting the fan on exhaust and cracking the windows truly surprises me at how effective it is. Frankly, I don't reach for the A/C as much, as I am always prepping for the inevitable "off the grid" boondocking.

I think, with a solar panel, you might be good to go. That said, I too need a vent cover... soon.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    The first night in Tearstock was spent in a torrential downpour in the Atwood Lake campground. But, I had the Fantastic Fan on for a while to air the humidity out from being closed up for the trip. And I was dry, thanks to the Aero Flo vent. It is one of the marvelous accessories I have added to my Silver Shadow and never regretted. In my 30 days of camping in July and August, the vent cover was one that was used the most because I only put the Paha Que canopy up for the last. 5 nights, so I did have to rely on the vent cover to keep the rain out of the cabin.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    What was the deciding factor for you both to go with the aeroflow vs say the Ultrabreeze, etc.?
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    I saw the Aero Flo and loved the sleekness. I had a bulky Camping World one and never could bring myself to install it. It never looked like it belonged. The Aero Flo looks like it belongs. It compliments the sleekness of the curves of all of the LG campers.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    duckblind123duckblind123 Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2016
    I've been thinking about installing one myself and do like the sleek look of the Aeroflo.  If I may ask, which Aeroflo vent cover did you purchase/install?  I have looked and found three models (Camco 40473, 40741, 40421). The first one is 19" x 16" x 9" and the second one is 23.3" x 20.5" x 7.2" and the last one is 23" x 22" x 7".  With that said, the last two appear to have the more sleek design.  I know the fan vent is 14" x 14" for my Fantastic Fan, but have not measured the top cover itself.  So, just curious on which Aerflo was the best fit for the T@B.  By the way, mine is a 2016 S Max. Thanks!

Marc & Janet
    2016 T@B Max S - 2017 Honda Pilot - Winchester,VA

• Options
    I've been thinking about installing one myself and do like the sleek look of the Aeroflo.  If I may ask, which Aeroflo vent cover did you purchase/install?  I have looked and found three models (Camco 40473, 40741, 40421). The first one is 19" x 16" x 9" and the second one is 23.3" x 20.5" x 7.2" and the last one is 23" x 22" x 7".  With that said, the last two appear to have the more sleek design.  I know the fan vent is 14" x 14" for my Fantastic Fan, but have not measured the top cover itself.  So, just curious on which Aerflo was the best fit for the T@B.  By the way, mine is a 2016 S Max. Thanks!
    Camco 40421 in white for a 14"x14" opening. ( The measurements you have given are the shipping box measurements.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    No matter what vent cover you find fits your needs, you can't go wrong.

When I had my '09 Reverse TD, I'd never heard of a vent cover. I was a TD n00bie!!  I was away from my beloved Reverse Teardrop parked at the KOA during August - fan running (great air flow - no AC ever required even in east coast summers!). My poor TD was alone and unattended during a surprise afternoon downpour and T-storm.  I learned my lesson. There's no predicting Mother Nature! Nothing like coming "home" to a wet spot dead center of the bed after a full day of whitewater rafting (cuz of RAIN!!! Geesh ;) )  - we were all tired, hungry, sunburnt, sore - but we had fun! Fortunately, I had extra towels and sheets. Normally, I'd put an "EZ up" type cover and scoot it to cover the vent area (awning was always well tied down). I'd still have enough awning to make a rear covered patio. Except, that day, I didn't bother cuz it was supposed to be perfect weather all day! 

BTW, Harvey was unharmed and managed to eat all the Doritos in the corner of the bed during the storm. He thinks the snack bag is his personal fort. 

Since I don't have a garage or storage area, I opted for the easiest and most recommended vent cover at the time I got my T@B. They all have their merits and the best one is NO WET SPOT IN THE BED if it rains and having the vent open. Perhaps one day I'll have a garage, or want a better looking setup and will change the type I have (I have the bulky Fantastic vent cover). Of all the mods, this was one of the easiest to install for me and the most used (close 2nd are the bed slats). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I took my new T@B out for a very rainy maiden voyage this weekend and was very glad I had ordered the Maxxair Deluxe fan that some have recommended here. Its design allows it to be opened and used in the rain. I don't have any experience with the fantastic fan so I can't compare, but being able to open the vent regardless of weather is great.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Photomom - You gonna start a thread and give us the details of how your solo trip went?
  • Options
    DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70
    The MaxAire Deluxe fan, without the remote, is a great upgrade to the Fantastic fan. I ordered my T@B from the factory with one for only a nominal upcharge. It's got more speeds, is quiet, and even has a temp sensor that can turn the fan on automatically if it gets too hot inside. Mine has been sitting open except when on the road and has not taken on a drop even in heavy rains and windy storms. Even when open, it has a low profile. 
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
    2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Well, I sprang for the Maxxfan remote. Nice not to have to get out of bed to adjust the fan. I wish the Alde control had a remote!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Oh you lazy people and your remotes :-)
  • Options
    One of these days I'll get my upgraded 10 speed Fantastic Fan with remote and rain sensor installed ....
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Oh, so you're being lazy even before you get your remote installed ;-)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Hey PXLated, doesn't the exercise keep you young. I'm with you, not a far stretch from the bed to the fan. I have enough remotes @ home, I don't need 'em when I go camping!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    I think it's more genetics :-)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    PXL does T@B Yoga, especially at 2-4am when swapping propane tanks in 32F temps, or crawling under his vehicles to retrieve whatever he dropped and rolled to dead-center underneath them.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Luckily, there's nothing to drop or I would be crawling around - Or, I might just say, didn't need that part anyway.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ok, you guys are making me envious of rain proof, automatic, heat sensing, rain sensing, ceiling vents.

Now I'm going to have to move that Maxx-Aire out of 'Saved for Later' and into the Amazon Cart...

What ever happened to my simple Tab? 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Remember when??????????????? :o
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Oh yeah, that was called a tent...
    ericnliz said:
    Remember when??????????????? :o

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    @ best. Bed roll under the stars! :o
    Spokane, Wa.