Options

When to replace trailer tire and safe travel speed?

JltabJltab Member Posts: 89
Helpful tips and advice is highly appreciated, thanks a lot  ;)
2016 T@B Maxx S, Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited May 2016
    From previous discussions it would appear to be a target speed based around 60 - say, 58-62.
    See also this duscussion on tires... http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3014/have-you-ever-had-a-blown-tire-on-your-t-b#latest ...amongst others.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    From everything I have read the tires should be replaced every five years no matter the miles.  After three years I have already replaced mine due to wear.

I like to travel at around 60MPH, some go faster, some slower, but that is the speed I am comfortable with as a good balance on economy and to simply get where I am going.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    I travel between 60-70 mph most of the time.  The tires are rated to 75mph on my T@B.  Most of the major highways here are 70mph.  I find that the average speed is closer to 80mph.  I do not feel safe poking along at 60-65mph with constant stream of semi trucks bearing down on you.  So I drive about 70 mph on the interstate and 60 on most state highways with a 55 limit.  If the speed limit is 65 I usually drive 65.

I will change tires about every five years depending on wear.

I do keep them properly inflated to 50 psi.

Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    A little off subject here, but I have found that the slower speeds I now travel at have driven me off the interstates while traveling.  I find myself routing on more US routes which are often more direct but move at slower speeds.  Makes for a more relaxed, interesting drive as well.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Same here - Freeways only if I have to. More scenic that way also.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    If I ever pull the T@B faster than 60 it's because I forgot to check the speedometer.  If I'm in that much of a hurry, I'll leave it at home and find a motel somewhere.  You cannot see America from an Interstate at 70 mph.  State/US highways whenever possible.  It's the difference between fighting traffic and enjoying the scenery.  IMHO.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Even though I poke along at 60, I still travel the interstates when possible. Getting into the small towns and dropping to 35, and even not so small towns through the shopping district with red lights every 100 yards, or getting behind a hay truck going 20 on a two-lane road drives me batty. Also, since I travel solo a bunch, interstates pretty much ensure I keep good cell coverage for the most part.

I replace my tires every 4 years, period. I keep them inflated to the recommended 44PSI.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Small towns, that's half the fun.
    Can't remember the last time I got stuck behind a hay wagon. Do remember the last time I dang near got run over by someone on the freeway.
    Back roads for me.
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Trapped behind a hog hauler (not Harleys, @Ratkity). My own personal hades.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
     :s oh dear. That's when you pull over and make a cup of coffee.:smiley:

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    At first I was gonna ask what dealer it was going to! LOL. But I ditto what PXL so eloquently said LOL.

I worked in agriculture (still do, but in a different capacity) and being behind one of those livestock haulers or being pelleted by feathers from a truckful of chickens/turkeys is beyond unpleasant... especially when having to follow one to the processing plant in an old university truck with questionable tires, no AC or radio and "three-on-the-tree" gearing. The engine/trans were in premier condition though! Stupid truck stayed alive to torment graduate students. It had been affectionately head-butted by 500 lb calves wanting hay when we were supplementing pasture feed. The dents had dents. I bet that stupid truck is still around 25 yrs later....
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2016
    Better yet when you're on a hog, behind that hog or poultry hauler, I imagine.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Have a friend who's dad had a brand new convertable back in the late sixties. My buddy was passing a cattle hauler as one of the inhabitants decided to let loose out the side. Needless to say, dad was not a happy camper.
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Pulling with my 1.9L turbo diesel (2005 Jetta TDI Wagon), I find that speeds over 58 or so REALLY impact fuel consumption (can you say "gas mileage" with a diesel?). Car & T@B will do it and behave, but there's definitely a fuel penalty! I believe that's mostly due to the relatively small size of the Jetta compared to the T@B-- quite a parachute back there at highway speeds.

My T@B's an older one, made by Dutchmen, but I believe the suspension is still the rubber-mounted torsion bar set-up, and in my experience that has handled extremely well at any speed, even on heavily crowned & pot-holed roads. Far superior to the usual leaf-spring system, IMHO.

I don't change tires as often as I should (yes, they DO have a shelf life!) but do check often for weather cracking and, as mentioned above, always check pressures and lug-nut torque.