Options

Norcold control panel

i have search for this, but I think it too simple to attract interest. Norcold 3-way refrig manual identifies four elements on the control panel: ignition button to light flame, thermostat, power selector and flame indicator light. My panel has a fifth item, a button switch. When activated a light comes on on the switch and the fan starts. What is that switch? A master on/off? Something else? If I turn the power selector switch to "off" the fan keeps running and the fifth-switch light stays on

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,452
    Not as simple as you might think...mine (in a 2015 M@x-S) has only the first four elements you mentioned.

Is yours a newer model? I think some of them are coming with an extra cooling fan to vent the space behind the unit to the outside. I'm sure someone with all the facts will chime in here eventually.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

I believe that is the auxiliary fan.  It provides extra air movement in an effort to keep the frig coils cooler.  It is independent of the frig itself even though the switch is on the frig.  Usually only needed during warm weather.  Several of us have modified the fan so that it comes on with the Norcold fan located below the coils.  If the fan noise starts to get to you, there is a thread on replacing the stock fans with much quieter models.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    It is an extra fan to help expel the hot air the refrigerator makes out the side.  Otherwise it can really heat up the inside of your camper...
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited July 2016
    Yep, that's probably it - If your fridge fan comes on, turn that fan switch on. Or if your countertop feels warm/hot, turn that switch on and it will exhaust the fridge heat out the side vent.
  • Options
    AnnieoakleyAnnieoakley Member Posts: 22
    What is the recommended mode for the frig while under tow.  I will be traveling about 8 hours to my destination. Would like to cool it down and pack with essencial foods, travel, and still have things cold when I  get there. Recommendations?  
    Ramblin' scramblein' Tumb@lweed   Gray/Red 2016 Max S, Wichita Falls Texas 

What ever you do, what ever your goal, keep your eye upon the donut  and not upon the hole. 
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Travel - That's what battery mode is for. Fridge runs off the battery and your TV keeps your T@B battery charged. That said, some TVs don't have large enough alternators to keep up so your battery slowly discharges as the fridge takes quite a bit of juice. This is not a real problem for shorter distances usually but would be over eight hours. You might want to stop every couple hours and see what your battery monitor says. For some with small alternators, they pack in ice and just leave the fridge off.
    Some vehicles with "factory" tow packages like my Jeep have the larger alternators so not a problem. But even though mine is generally ok, I still check when stopped.
    When you check, leave the TV running so you can tell where it's sitting while rolling. Or, turn the fridge off and see what your battery state is.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Annieoakley, one important thing to keep in mind when you run your fridge on battery mode...

You'll want to turn off the 12V on the fridge when parked for any amount of time. Otherwise the fridge will drain your Tab's battery, and especially remember this if your Tow Vehicle is not equipped with a battery isolator (most aren't), as it can also drain your car battery.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I keep two frozen 1/2 gallon jugs filled with frozen water in the fridge. I do not use battery mode during driving. The ice jugs (half gallon milk jugs) keep everything fresh and cold. You could even freeze a half a dozen water bottles and then you could drink the water after it melts. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    AnnieoakleyAnnieoakley Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for this important info for a newby.
    Ramblin' scramblein' Tumb@lweed   Gray/Red 2016 Max S, Wichita Falls Texas 

What ever you do, what ever your goal, keep your eye upon the donut  and not upon the hole.