Options

Here's Tow@nda!

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
edited May 2016 in Introductions
As some of you know, I've been waiting quite a while for my T@B, and yesterday we finally took delivery. We are thrilled (well maybe me more than DH!)

First, I have to thank members of this forum in general for all the helpful information. This is our first RV and it is literally ALL new to us. And I want to give special thanks to @Verna and @Michigan_Mike for going above and beyond the call of duty to render special assistance!

The adventure began yesterday morning when I went to pay for the trailer. Despite the dealer assuring me that I could register it without my DH's signatures, the first DMV turned me away, so I had to go find him at work, get him to sign the registration papers, and then go to a second DMV, but I finally got a plate. By this point I was quite stressed out, and had no idea what to expect when we went to pick the trailer up.

Picking up the trailer was remarkably uneventful. The dealer had it plugged in, refrigerator cooled down, and water in the tank so  he could demonstrate the basic RV stuff. I was more up to date on the new technology (Digital Alde control, tank monitor) than he was so we didn't go over those. He had taken advantage of the additional space in the aluminum tank cover to install a Group 27 battery at no additional cost, by way of apologizing for the delays.

I'll start with an overall pic, in our driveway. It was quite an adventure getting it up there since our driveway is quite long and goes slightly uphill to our house. I'm sure the neighbors were amused watching the process, with me trying to back up and my DH and son yelling instructions, and my dog Max barking. Sure enough, within 10 minutes Max's friend TJ and TJ's mom stopped by for a look.

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
TAB.jpg 251.6K

Comments

• Options
    This may be heresy, but after one night, I Do Not Like the Lagun table. It is really heavy and must be removed to set up the entire bed. There are a few nice things about it. It folds up nicely and makes a compact, if heavy package. The top looks nicer than the pictures we've seen - it's made from the same brushed aluminum look material as the kitchen countertop. You would need to slide it under the bed slats to get it out of the way at night. That said, I can see us eventually getting one of the cheap folding tables everyone uses.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,450
    Hooray! And phew. Now you are really gonna' start with the questions...  ;-)

Have a great weekend!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I know there has been some discussion about bed slats and the Lagun. This is the deal.

The trailer comes with a set of bed slats, nicely velcroed into a package and stowed under the passenger side bench. The DIY versions people have posted are much nicer - this looks like common pine boards and they are a little rough around the edges.

This is what the slats look like in place. Note that they are strapped together. They only fit one way because the benches don't appear to be the same distance apart in the front and the back.

Finally, here is the detail of the slat rails. In a previous picture people noted little plastic tabs on top of the rails. The end slats fit on either side of those tabs and this keeps the slats spread out properly. I imagine this method is meant to save weight over having enough slats to completely cover the area.

• Options
    A couple of details in the back area.

An A/C outlet has been added on the passenger side and a 12v/double USB outlet has been added on the driver side. I checked, and the USB will charge an iPad.

While I'm here, I'll mention that my DH liked the sound from the speakers. We usually take a small stereo speaker when we camp so we can listen to music from his iPod, and DH said these speakers sound much better.

The shelf right behind the sofa back is hinged and has maybe 2-3 cubic feet of storage underneath it, but there is no way currently to hold the shelf up and I already dropped it on my fingers once. Obviously if you use the shelf for any objects they would have to be moved before raising the shelf, so the area is probably best used for things that would be rarely needed.

• Options
    Oh, I forgot one more thing I wanted to point out. Some people have mentioned the sharp edges on the aluminum tank cover. The factory is now shipping those covers with plastic molding on the edges. You would still bang your fingers if you dropped the lid, but you shouldn't cut yourself!

I also pointed out the location of the battery cutoff switch. Sooo glad I didn't have to install that myself!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Congrats, Photomom and DH!  It's a great day and I'm so glad you got everything. I love the "alcove" in the back, with the outlets up next to the cabinet bottoms. 

I love my Lagun table, but I only have to remove the top for traveling, so it's not quite like you. Keep trying it-- maybe you'll get used to it. I bought one of those lightweight tables before the Lagun was introduced and it is now used for my propane stove or with a table cloth between my chairs outside. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    In case you are wondering, "Tow@nda" comes from one of my favorite books of all time, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, by Fannie Flagg. "Towanda" generally means "a word used to express extreme excitement while doing something crazy."  
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Before throwing out the Lagun table, I suggest replacing the heavy particleboard top with a lightweight wood ($14 at Lowe's and a little finishing work is all that's needed).  I don't see any rear vents for the Alde heater.  How does the heat enter the cabin?  I really like those bed slats.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    I have no idea where the heat comes from. I slept out there last night and was warm enough in my sleeping bag, but it was 53F when I woke up so I turned on the Alde. An hour later it was up to 60F (still 50F outside so I know it was working, also it smelled) but I have no idea where the heat was coming from. There are cutouts at the bottom of all 3 seats but I couldn't feel any heat coming from those. It is a mystery.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Congratulations!  And verrry nice pix!  Thanks for taking the time to post them.  Echoing Outback, it is odd that LG doesn't put some kind of vents in that back "shelf" (the main radiator just below).  When I was working back East I had the "pleasure" of visiting Towanda, PA a couple times...your explanation is better than that old mining town!  Happy trails!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    The storage area under the back shelf is completely enclosed. As near as I can tell there is no way for heat to get into that area, so venting the shelf probably wouldn't be useful. 

Oh, and, https://youtu.be/kXZs3mjGlQU
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    Congratulations!!  You and DH are all set to go exploring.  At first, I thought the name "Tow@nda" was something to do with Tonawanda, NY since you are from WNY.  But your reference to Fried Green Tomatoes made sense.
    Enjoy!
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited May 2016
    Yeah! Congratulations!
    Verna said:
    Congrats, Photomom and DH!  It's a great day and I'm so glad you got everything. I love the "alcove" in the back, with the outlets up next to the cabinet bottoms. 

I love my Lagun table, but I only have to remove the top for traveling, so it's not quite like you. Keep trying it-- maybe you'll get used to it. I bought one of those lightweight tables before the Lagun was introduced and it is now used for my propane stove or with a table cloth between my chairs outside. 

I agree with both things @Verna said. I like the alcove and would love to see LG do more with that area behind the bench. Little cubbies belt in below the outlets for wallets, cell phones, etch would be nice... and a fold down cup holder. It would really enhance the T@b. The tabletop they use looks like the one used on the original lifting table. I agree, try another tabletop. I am going with a workbench top from Home Depot made by Husky. I don't love the look, but it is good enough for now and required no additional work.

Photomom said:
    In case you are wondering, "Tow@nda" comes from one of my favorite books of all time, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, by Fannie Flagg. "Towanda" generally means "a word used to express extreme excitement while doing something crazy."  

Congratulations!  And verrry nice pix!  Thanks for taking the time to post them.  Echoing Outback, it is odd that LG doesn't put some kind of vents in that back "shelf" (the main radiator just below).  When I was working back East I had the "pleasure" of visiting Towanda, PA a couple times...your explanation is better than that old mining town!  Happy trails!

Towanda, PA is not far from where I grew up - when you live in a rural area, close is relative. It is about an hour away and my mom grew up in the hills to the west on Rt. 6. It is home of the "French Asylum" built for French loyalists during the 1783 revolution.

Photomom said:
    One final shot of the interior. A couple weeks ago I got together with my artistic creative girlfriends to create some unique, colorful throw pillows. This is the result.

By the way, I removed the back cushions and will store them, since they are in the way of almost everything, and don't seem to have any useful purpose. I'd rather see my fun pillows there!
    I often sit across the back bench with my kegs up so I use those cushions but if you don't think you will, they will be one less thing to deal with when you make the bed.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    If u ever make it down to Julliette Georgia (outside Macon) you can visit where they filmed the movie. The whistle stop cafe is there and u can get fried green tomatoes served up hot and crispyy!
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Being owned by a cat, I really like your cat pillow.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    It is a shameless copy of a design I saw somewhere. What can I say, we had a couple bottles of Prosecco. 
  • Options
    DougandMiaDougandMia Member Posts: 73
    Congratulations Photomom! Now your real fun can begin.
      Mia   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  2015 T@B U, formerly 2012 LG 5-Wide Platform
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Against all odds, remember to have fun!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    Congratulations. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    @OutbackAZ, as for the rear heating, there'a gap behind the hinged shelf that allows the heat to rise through it.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    Congrats on your new bouncing T@B! Hope you enjoy your T@B as much as the rest of us do.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    This is an answer to the "where does the heat come from" question. The hinged shelf in the back does not meet the back curved wall. There is about a 3/8" to 1/2" space that the heat rises from. The night we brought ours home it dipped into the 30's. We turned the Alde on and checked for a couple of hours. Heat came through the airspace just mentioned and rose up the back wall. It was comfy warm first under the back cabinets then into the full cabin space. Next 2 nights were even colder so we were sure how the air (heat) moved. Photomom is correct about the bed slats. Thin boards roughly finished including knotholes and slivers. We are also happy not to have to install the battery cut off switch. Thanks to all who recommended the switch and kudos to LG for listening. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    Brilliant name! & awesome movie. Kathy Bates and the saran wrap! lol  =)=)
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    PHOTOMOM.. w00h0000000! And you provided amazing pictures too. You and your new babeh rock. Just FYI, it's ok to go out repeatedly and cuddle, hug and give gentle kisses to your new arrival. Your neighbors are just jealous - ignore their gawking. LOL.

Congratz x1000. You waited so long and patiently. No hyperventilating allowed (especially backing up). I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Restless_NativeRestless_Native Member Posts: 116
    Photomom said:
    So glad so finally got it! It's gorgeous!!!! Love the name. Just ate at the Whistle Stop in Juliette, GA. They are gearing up for the 25 anniversary celebration in October! Enjoy!
    Amanda, Ft. Myers, FL Ag@tha 2017 T@B CS-S  , TV: 2013 Chevy Equinoz LTZ

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Tow@nda=Ta wandah=To Wander.  It's a stretch, I know, but not where I live.  Congratulations!

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Nerdy1Nerdy1 Member Posts: 60
    Congratulations! Hopefully you get to take her out this weekend!
    T@BOO - 2016 Outback Max S in New Mexico towed by 2016 Toyota Highlander (soon)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Yep camping this solo at a geocaching event. Everything works great except the bed - need a much better mattress topper. 
    I did discover that the red light on the GFCI noes NOT mean the outlets are WORKING. 
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Congratulations! I can't wait to start looking for my own T@b.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al