Options

Here's Tow@nda!

2»

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yep - Red for stop. Same on the Alde controls (Analog)
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Congratulations on finally getting here, she looks great!  Liking the updates they have done, shows the little things are important.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Photomom, we had a discussion a while back (interspersed with another discussion) about mattress toppers. I went initially with a 3 or 4" memory foam that I cut to cover the entire bed - I keep it made. The memory foam was as stiff as a board and hard to maneuver when it was chilly. It was also heavy (for me) to move around.

Seeing as one of Harvey's books is "The Princess and The Pea", I decided to get the 3" thermarest foam mattress (with topsheet and snap-on quilt). Wow, did my bedding volume decrease and comfort is still great! Harvey demands more pillows than a bear ought to, but I indulge him. I sleep wheel-to-wheel (I'm only 5'6") and the 70" thermarest works great.

How was backing up? How'd she feel towing?

Hope you find all your geocaches you're hunting for!!!

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Nerdy1Nerdy1 Member Posts: 60
    We got a topper at Costco.  I roll it up and put it behind the back seat during the day (or if I am lazy, I roll it up and leave the back seat down and use it as the back rest).  Works great to make the bed nice and comfy.
    T@BOO - 2016 Outback Max S in New Mexico towed by 2016 Toyota Highlander (soon)
  • Options
    LibrarydragonLibrarydragon Member Posts: 103
    Congratulations, I'm glad you finally got your t@b! Enjoy!
    Sara&Carl
    2015 max s outback, TV 2011 RAV4, V6, 4x4, & 2017 Tacoma Off-road 4x4
    Soquel, CA
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Backing up is horrendous. I've done it 3 times, once to bring it home from the dealer, once at camp, and once returning home. Will definitely take some practice.

Towing is okay. I have a mid-size SUV with a V6 and 5000 pound towing capacity, and I definitely knew the trailer was there. People who come here asking if they can tow a T@B with their little 4 cylinder are just nuts, IMHO. My trip took me through what passes for mountains in the southern tier of western NY and averaged 15 mpg. Yikes. I hate to think what it would be on real mountains.

Really, the only problem is sleeping. I had a thermarest on top of the T@B seats and did not sleep comfortably at all. Will need to investigate other options.

Oh, and I've mentioned this in another thread, but waking up to rain on a camper roof is MUCH more pleasant than waking up to rain on a tent roof!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Backing up - Just takes a little practice and real small adjustments - As discussed in other threads, get backing up straight down before trying to turn into something. Trying to keep it straight gives you a feel for how small the adjustments need to be.

Mileage - I plan on 14 with my V6 Wrangler - Worst has been 10 (strong headwinds), best has been 17. Suprisingly, I get the same whether mountains or level plains on average.

Sleeping - Could just be the new environment. I never sleep well in a new bed. Might just take getting used to.

Rain - Wait till you get hail. Betting the tent is quieter. Had three bouts of pea-sized hail late yesterday and no place to hide. Simply aren't any overpasses or car washes in these neck of the woods.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    My mileage varies from about 16 when all I'm doing is running errands to 24 when I'm mostly traveling on the Thruway. I pay attention to the rpms and could tell the engine was working harder than usual with the T@B. Was hoping for better but not really surprised. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York