Hooking the chains to the hitch

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
The hooks on the T@B chains would not physically fit on the loops of my hitch far enough so the gates could close. The dealer added these link things and secured the chain hooks to them. Is this kosher?

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I am really surprised they don't fit. I would probably replace the chains with something that will fit.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    Those are called "quick links" and are just fine to use. Run ur chains through them, take up the slack, clip the chain end back to itself. Done. A lot of us use them
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Should be fine as long as the quick links are rated the same or higher than your safety chains as far as load capacity is concerned.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The quick links I had were rated for 5,000 lbs, so if yours have that weight range, you are good to go. (My original chains were too short, so the links worked until I found chains I liked.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    He brought them out from the shop, so who knows. I may run out to Home Depot and get some that are labeled. 
  • RedufresneRedufresne Member Posts: 100
    We had same problem but solved by sliding chain end all the way through the provided hole and then clipping it to itself. I seem to be the only one of us who can get them to fit through the spaces, so B@thusband cannot camp without me!
    B@t T@b, the 2016 Max S Outback, pulled by Bane, the 2014 Honda Ridgeline.
  • RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    Redufresne I do it the same way with my Ridgeline and now my Acura MDX
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    With my 2009 Sport Trac I have really "fat" chain loops also. I bought new larger hooks for the end of the chains. 
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Photomom

The chain is high-strength chain, and those quick links are not, so you need to go up a size for the quick link, to match the rating. I think the chain is 1/4" so you'll need 3/8" links.

Check your length if you do what Redufresne did, so when you're turning tight they aren't too short.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I did get some 3/8" stainless steel links that are rated for 3600 pounds. I feel much better about those. They are large enough to pass the chain thru and connect back to itself. The chains are about a foot too long for my setup. The dealer had shortened the chains by twisting which I know is a Bad Thing.
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Photomom, My chains were also too long for my "72 Chevy P/U. Take the nuts holding the chains [there are 2] off from underneath where they attach to the trailer, shorten the  chains to the desired length, put the chains back on the bolts, secure the nuts [with the lock washers] , and make sure the cable for the brake is not too long to actuate if needed.  I hope this helps!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• TowingTipsyTowingTipsy Member Posts: 19
    I was just looking at my chains and i have those same connections.  I have no way to know the weight rating, but in looking at the same sized ones in the store they are under rated for my trailer.  I'm going to attempt to replace them with hooks. The last shop I took my trailer too was not a fan of this setup, and I have had issues where the chains get stuck inside the link and it can be really tough to get them un-stuck. 
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    I use quick links at the other end of the chain:  I cut a single link off the end of each chain which I used to permanently mount a quick link on each side:

Now I can adjust the length of the chains
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    @TowingTipsy There are some good reference materials in the group about appropriate chains and hooks, etc.  This thread has a link to a Purdue University brochure about safe towing practices, and there is a screen shot to help you determine the chain strength.

The Purdue Document.  Page 42 starts the conversation about safety chains and the various rated hooks and attachments.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • linolino Member Posts: 224
    I also slide my chains through and attach to itself

For my previous Little Guy 6 wide I had a new clip installed to end of the chain that would clip right onto the hitch 
  • BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 261
    My T400BD chains as supplied by NuCamp were lightweight and the hooks were too small to fit on my TV’s hitch loops. I replaced the chains and hooks with heavier duty versions. That also gave me a chance to cut the chains to the right length so I don’t have to twist them to fit - just cross them once and snap the hooks on. Much faster!
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX