Options

2013 tab air conditioner condensation leaking into window

my air conditioner is mounted above the window opposite the door side of the camper. Condensation is dripping from the top of the window and puddling at the bottom of the window and dripping down the wall. Has anyone experienced this problem or does anyone have any suggestions? I did have this problem last year and I returned with it to Sugar Creek and they thought the problem was solved but I am still having a leak.

Comments

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Hmmm...we have a 2014 S M@xx wet bath with A/C, and now you have me curious where any condensate goes. Most window units have holes in the the bottom of the A/C sheet metal, with the unit tipped to drain outside, but the T@B's A/C is boxed in on the exterior...so I'm curious about others' experience as well!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

There was a previous discussion thread about this same question.  http://tab-rv.com/community/#/discussion/comment/2942.  Maybe RZRBUG will chime in with his two cents' worth.  Could it be that the heat and air movement generated from the AC operation evaporates the water (condensation) before it can drip out? 

I used my A/C over the 4th of July in high 90's heat in the blazing sun and didn't have any problem with condensation/puddling. 

:(
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Window A/C units are all similar in what they are designed to do and as noted above, you might want to tip the unit so that any water runs outside the trailer (tilt the unit so that the back of the unit is tipped downward and outside) as opposed to it running down your trailer wall. If the A/C unit is level you are going to have problems....   As your air conditioner runs, water condenses on the evaporator and then runs off. There is also suppose to be a drain that leads outside (or a hole on the bottom to allow the unit to drain) so the water can run off. If the drain hole is clogged, the water has no place to go and instead runs out and into your trailer. You need to check and see if the drain is clear on the unit, and if not, run a piece of plastic weed-cutter line (or something similar) up through the drain hole to clear the line.  You should also inspect the grill or evaporator unit for (cleanliness) any debris, lint, dirt, insect nests, etc. and clean it if need be.  If the unit isn't sealed properly around the A/C unit you could also be experiencing more condensation than is normal.  

Here is a link that should help you ferret out your issue:

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    If your T@b is not level, very level, it will leak. I had no problems with a level T@b, though.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PaulaKPaulaK Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2014
    Has anyone with a 2015 T@b S figured out where the condensation from the A/C ends up? We have run our A/C on Max Cool on two very humid Minnesota summer weekends. No sign of moisture anywhere. There is a white approx 5/8th-inch flexible hose which extends from the bottom of the trailer just inside of the chassis in the general vicinity of the shower. I called our RV dealer, and he said this white hose is the overflow outlet for the freshwater tank. He believes that the fan in the A/C turns any condensation into a mist to cool the air conditioner. However, I saw a Facebook posting in which a 2015 T@B S owner said that "Marvin" (no idea who that is!) had unplugged the A/C drainage opening on their trailer at Tearstock this year. I placed a call to Ed K. but wasn't lucky enough to catch him today.

Paula & Larry | 2015 T@B S M@XX "Serenity"| 2014 Subaru Outback | Maple Grove, MN
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Paula, Marvin is "Ed #2" at the Pleasant Valley Trailer Company.  Here is the quote from Cheryl from another discussion:

Our T@b has to tilt slightly to the right, because the air conditioner drain is in the front right corner (towards the door). 
    It was plugged and Marvin unplugged it for us at Tearstock, and showed us where it's located.
    If you remove the mirror in the shower, you have access to the drain tube.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Well, I mentioned this to one of the LG guys at Tearstock (sorry, don't know his name), and he told me that it was normal for the air conditioner to not produce any noticeable condensation.  I suppose it may depend on which A/C you have.  I have the Friedrich window-type unit and have NEVER seen any condensation from the unit.  He said they drill a hole in the bottom of the A/C that drains any condensation to the drip pan, which in turn exits the tube in the bottom of the T@B.  I have checked the drip pan through the grill and have yet to see any accumulation of condensation.  If LG says it's OK, then I have to believe it's OK, so I no longer worry about it.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I should add that my unit is mounted on the floor.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Yes, speaking to Scott Hubble at Tearstock, he claims that they produce very little condensation.  The KoolCat in my 2012 has no drain tube down through the bottom (looked at a Dutchman and they do) but the grill has some larger holes on the bottom to allow water to roll out of the drain pan so long as the trailer is on a slight tilt.  That is how I keep it when I run the AC, so all should be good.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    kaidenterrykaidenterry Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I also had a same problem with my air conditioner and I tried to solve the problem itself, but it was not possible for me to solve it, lastly, I was contacted with air conditioning company NJ which gave a correct solution to that problem.