Options

Experiencing first major winds in Marble Canyon

mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
Hi all -- was planning on leaving today from Lee's Ferry in Marble Canyon (great area), spend a day in Page and begin heading up to Arches (where I have a reservation starting on Monday). But as PXL and others have experienced a major wind advisory is in effect for the entire area. At first I thought I'd hook up and leave early, stop at Walmart and then get to the campground in Page. But have now nixed that idea and am staying put at least today and maybe tomorrow. Have any of you towed in sustained winds of 25-35 (and they say gusts possible at 50mph)?! I decided against it and instead just take the truck into Page to do my errands. Lee's Ferry is just $9/night and luckily the wind is hitting the T@B from the rear and not cross-wise (of course if it changes direction, that could make a difference). Forget cooking outside and of course I never put up the visor.

Beautiful area and at least I got in a few good hikes yesterday - T@Bs always look so tiny among the other giants!

Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have always wanted to camp at Lee's Ferry. It would be a good day to explore a slot canyon.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    There's an old saying in aviation "Better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground." 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yep, have towed in 35-40 - In fact, had a 40 headwind down from Page to Marble last year. Then 35-50 with rain at the Lee's Ferry campground. Must say the only time the T@B has ever swayed was 45 sidewind from Cheyanne to Larame. Handles well - At least with my TV. But, I prefere not to be in it. That whole area seems to always be somewhat windy. It was up west of Page where the wind/sand combo sandblasted my solar lights and the wind skidded my solar panels across the beach and my tire lock lock got filled with sand :-(
    Marble Canyon has great scenery - The drive in from the highway is spectacular.
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Mickey: I've done it twice. Once driving from pahrump, NV (supposedly 50 mph) and once from cottonwood, AZ (definite 40 mph winds). Both times I was in tandem with my sister in a much larger rig. I definitely felt it, but it was doable. The tab was much easier to steer than my sisters bigger rig. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2016
    The only problem I've had with the wind, in towing the Tab, was the headwind slowing me down and dropping my gas mileage. Tab was steady and stable towing though.

Regarding aviation, I'd be concerned with the fact that the Tab's profile is shaped like an airfoil, and with a strong wind hitting the front, it will probably take flight, and you might end up in OZ by morning. B-)... 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    Have drove in strong winds many times.  No issues.  Even with big rigs flying by from the opposite direction.  The shape of the T@b redirects wind very well.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Ah, well I'm somewhat more confident now..still staying put tonight. I left with just my truck to come into Page to stock up and run errands. Saw some trailers on the road but lots were hunkered down in the Walmart parking lot. Will see what tomorrow brings as to whether or not I want to leave and head toward Moab. 
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    The most RVs I've ever seen in a Walmart was in Page - Lots of rental RVs and inexperienced drivers - Mostly europeans. - Lots of swearing in languages I didn't understand.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Worst road wind I've experienced was in Kansas.  I could feel it buffeting the T@B pretty good.  That wasn't so bad, but every time I met one of those triple-decker cow wagons, my knuckles turned white.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    ugh...I80 through Wyoming and Nebraska. Semis blown over.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Yikes. Let's get this bad weather over, please.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Ya Wyoming had big signs up - No light/empty semi trailers or RVs allowed between Cheyenne and Laramie. Some tried and discovered the exits were their best friend. Another thing about Wyoming, the freeway has white spots all across - many a mile - Jackrabbits bought the dust.