Options

Ready-to Go Tow Vehicle

2»

Comments

• Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Right now I'm looking at '12 or '13 Ford Escape. One has the 6 cylinder and the other the 2.0 Ecoboost. Both are rated at 3500 lbs. Just me in the vehicle + supplies.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    I'm super happy with my Toyota 4 Runner, totally setup for towing when I bought it, just had to add the electric brakes. They do tend to hold their resale value very well in my area.  I looked at used first but after comparing prices I opted to go with a new one.  So glad I did!    Towing capacity is 5,000 and I still have tons of space available even after loading my dogs and their stuff!  
    Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Norbert, Dad loves his 4-Runner. Unfortunately, his truck was rear-ended hard by a distracted teen (Dad and other people ahead of him were ok - all were stopped on an exit ramp) and his beloved old beach/fishing-4-runner-mobile was totaled. He found a "new" used one and is still in love with 4-Runners. All his fishing racks (front and back) brackets are welded back on and he's already been on the beach with it. That thing is a tank and tows trailers well. Roomy and versatile. That his old truck was squished between vehicles and he was safe with minor shoulder aches makes me feel even better about the safety features. He's 85 and healthy (with his own personal trainer), salt water fishes in tournaments with his club, still works and I wanna keep him that way! +1 for 4-Runners!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    +1 for 'active at 85'
    Ratkity said:
    ....He's 85 and healthy (with his own personal trainer), salt water fishes in tournaments with his club, still works and I wanna keep him that way! +1 for 4-Runners!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    Acura MDX SH-AWD is very capable and tows effortlessly. Great seats, cool A/C and great stereo.
  • Options
    AustinRoamersAustinRoamers Member Posts: 45
    Very happy with my 2013 Ford Edge with 3500# towing capacity.  You don't even notice the T@B following behind.  We've towed T@B with a Toyota Sequoia and GMC Canyon and both were more than capable but the Edge is much easier to back. While it has easily been towed up hills, we haven't tried any serious altitude yet.  
    Kat & Sam      Austin, TX        2018 T@B 400           "Oh, the Places You'll Go!"
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Our Lexus "15  GX came with factory tow package ( 6,500lbs) and the brake controller wiring is a plug and play with the wiring harness located up under the dash. We just fished it down and installed the Prodgy Brake Controller . Love it.

John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    dinahdinah Member Posts: 3
    Note that Subaru Outbacks are now equipped with CVT transmissions.  Long-term performance towing with CVTs are an on-going discussion on all kinds of RV forums.
  • Options
    marilyncpmarilyncp Member Posts: 117
    I've sent my message to a few peeps on the forum and posted under the "Tow Vehicles" board but thought I would ask you guys too, since there are a lot of informed people here...

I have a 2014 1.6 Ecoboost that says my towing capacity is 2000 lbs.  Not sure what size Escape others have on this board, but I looked mine up and I'm not sure why people think just because you have an Ecoboost it will tow 3500 lb.  It needs to be  a V6 engine to have a recommended towing capacity of 3500 lb.  Just an FYI!

I'm not interested in purchasing a new TV, I love my Escape. But I want to purchase a T@B MAX S (1670 LB) or shall I stick to a T@G MAX instead because of the 1060 lb dry curb weight?  I would really love to have a T@B though. I live in Northern AZ and go to Colorado often, so I have to pull a lot uphill (or up mountains).  Would love to hear anyone's perspective on towing with my Escape before I buy either one.

Thanks!!
    Marilyn
    :s
    M@rilyn
    Previous 2017 T@B S owner... c'est l@ vie
    But still passionate about the brand!

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Marilyn, I answered your question in your other post. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    marilyncpmarilyncp Member Posts: 117
    Verna said:
    Marilyn, I answered your question in your other post. 
    Yup... just covering my bases.  Thanks!! =)

M@rilyn
    Previous 2017 T@B S owner... c'est l@ vie
    But still passionate about the brand!

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Marilyn, the escape can be purchased with a 2.0 ecoboost.  The 2.0 engine is rated for 3,500 pounds (higher horsepower and torque for the upgraded engine.  Still a 4 cylinder engine, but larger than the standard 1.6 engine (can be purchased on the SE or Titanium models, I believe).  You are correct, the 1.6 is rated at 2,000 lb, but the 2.0 ecoboost is rated at 3,500 lbs.  I have the 2.0 and there is more power and torque than the 1.6 engine.  Has worked fine for my T@B.
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
     mash2 I did end up going with the '13 Escape 2.0 Ecoboost with factory tow package. I've noticed you and others are pleased with the towing performance. What
    brake controller are you using with your Escape? (Planning on ordering my '17 T@b S Max next month!)

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I have an '06 DM so have surge brakes.  Sorry, can't help you there.