Options

Ready-to Go Tow Vehicle

dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
First of all, thank you for allowing me to be part of this forum. I am learning so much. I want to purchase a use T@b Max S in the next few months, but first of all I need a good used tow vehicle. My 2014 Rav4 won't cut it. My question has to do with buying a vehicle that is ready to tow with very few modifications. Are there used TV's out there that are already set up with the 7-pin connector, correct hitch height, brake controller, etc? I realize there is probably not an all-perfect TV, but I would like to have as few mods as possible. What's the perfect TV for you?

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Try to get one with a factory tow package. If installed, it should have a female connector under the dash that allows for quick connection of an after-market brake controller ($125 at Camping World).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Second Outback - The factory tow package is the main thing, the rest is relatively easy to get added or setup. The factory package has things an addon doesn't.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    Welcome dmerzbac. I suggest looking for something that has a factory-installed tow package--they are pretty common, particularly on trucks. An OEM tow package should come with a receiver hitch and all the needed wiring. Hitch height is easily adjusted by choosing a ball mount with the right rise or drop. You will probably need to provide your own controller, but with an OEM tow package (and the right connector) it will likely be plug-and-play.

There are many variables, so no easy answers--you will need to study up and ask the right questions.

I tow with a V6 Nissan Frontier with the factory tow package. So far, so good.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I am very happy with Grand Cherokee.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2016
    Like ScottG says, be sure it's a receiver type hitch, with the right weight rating (2000# minimum). From there it's simple.

The 7pin is common for campers, but  from what I've read, a "tow package" often is only a 4pin connector, or the basic electrical connector for a utility-type trailer. You'll need to specify the 7pin connector in your search, but also be sure that it's wired with a heavy (8 or 10ga) 12v charging conductor. It seems that often this wire is too light-duty for a camper.

Don't settle for a marginal tow-rating on the tow vehicle. 2500# tow-rating is minimal, and cutting it kind of close for safety in stopping, or handling emergency situations on the highway.
    dmerzbac said:
    First of all, thank you for allowing me to be part of this forum. I am learning so much. I want to purchase a use T@b Max S in the next few months, but first of all I need a good used tow vehicle. My 2014 Rav4 won't cut it. My question has to do with buying a vehicle that is ready to tow with very few modifications. Are there used TV's out there that are already set up with the 7-pin connector, correct hitch height, brake controller, etc? I realize there is probably not an all-perfect TV, but I would like to have as few mods as possible. What's the perfect TV for you?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I am very happy with Ford escape with 2.0 ecoboost engine and factory tow system (4 cylinder motor rated at 3,500 lbs towing). 
  • Options
    tfire328tfire328 Member Posts: 22
    We have the the Ford Escape with the EcoBoost also. Handles the T@b great.
    Ted & Donna. Bay City, Michigan. Ford Escape, 2016 Tab Max-S

• Options
    Think I will go out and check out the Ford Escape this weekend. Carmax seems to have several with (I hope) the tow package.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I have the Jeep Cherokee with factory tow package, 3.2L six cylinder engine, rated for 4500 pounds.   Without towing I get 29-30mpg and with the T@B......about 17-18mpg.   Very happy with the vehicle.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    TABalong said:
    I have the Jeep Cherokee with factory tow package, 3.2L six cylinder engine, rated for 4500 pounds.   Without towing I get 29-30mpg and with the T@B......about 17-18mpg.   Very happy with the vehicle.
    Interesting... my 3.6l is rated for 5400lbs.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I have the 6-cyl Cherokee, it looks like you have the V-8 Grand Cherokee?
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    TABalong said:
    I have the 6-cyl Cherokee, it looks like you have the V-8 Grand Cherokee?
    Ah, yes, I missed that you have the Cherokee.

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    2012 Tacoma TRD Off-Road & Towing pkg, 3.0L V6, 236hp, 266ft-lb...rated at 6500lbs towing cap'y.  I don't know where they get that...towing on the flats is effortless, but going up our passes I have to downshift my 6sp to 4th or 3rd quite often. 

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Nerdy1Nerdy1 Member Posts: 60
    I have a Toyota Highlander (AWD, V6, 6000lb towing capacity), unfortunately it didn't have the tow package preinstalled (though you can order it with the towing package preinstalled).  Toyota installed the hitch and sent us to a car/truck hitch place that did the wiring.  We use a Prodigy RF brake controller, and it is great!  Much better than the Voyager model.  Like DurangoT@B, love how it pulls the T@B on the flats, you can not even tell your pulling it, slightly more work in our mountains.  
    T@BOO - 2016 Outback Max S in New Mexico towed by 2016 Toyota Highlander (soon)
  • Options
    Jenn needs the V8 so she can pull all that stuff in a trailer behind the T@B - We want to see those practice double backup vids Jenn :-)
  • Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    There are few ready to go vehicles as few have a 7 pin connector and trailer brake controller...  Many trucks do.  A few larger SUVs do as well...

Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    My Grand Cherokee (4X4, 5.7L V8 HEMI with OEM tow package) has a 7200 lb towing capacity which is overkill but it sure is sweet towing the T@B in the mountains.  Mopar makes an integrated brake control module for some Grand Cherokees but not the 2015 model year so I use a Prodigy P3 unit.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    We have a truck parts/supplies business here in Tuscaloosa that is suppose to be pretty good. I'm assuming that they could install the brake controller and 7-pin connector. Is it possible to keep the 4-pin and have the 7-pin added? Thanks to everyone for all of the great advice!

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    I will have, any day now, a 2017 Honda Ridgeline, v6, AWD, 5000lbs towing capacity.
    ....and when I say "I", I really mean, my husband ;)=)
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    dmerzbac - Yes, my install has the four pin mounted right next to the seven pin in one bracket.
  • Options
    "Grand Cherokee (4X4, 5.7L V8 HEMI)" <- I can see some T@B Drag Racing possibilities :-)
  • Options
    jctangneyjctangney Member Posts: 76
    Just a note about CarMax since you said you might look at Escapes this weekend. Their database will say whether or not the vehicle has a hitch, but cannot tell you if it has the factory tow package.

2016 T@B S Max, near Portland, OR

Photo Galleries www.pbase.com/jctangney

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    dmerzbac said:
    Think I will go out and check out the Ford Escape this weekend. Carmax seems to have several with (I hope) the tow package.
    I tow with a 2012 Escape with the V6. It does very well towing. If looking at Escapes, keep in mind that they stopped producing the V6 with the 2012 model year. With 2013 on they went to a 4 cylinder Ecoboost engine, and only the one with the factory tow package is rated at 3500, the rest are 2000 or less. You can tow with those Escapes, and I know some T@B owners that do, but you have to be careful on loading as it is easy to go over with such a small margin. I prefer to have a larger margin or error when towing, keeps me out of trouble if I have an accident.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    They make an adapter to go from 7 pin to 4 pin. I have one and it works great.
    Also make sure you have a mechanic check the vehicle before purchasing. Any vehicle used to tow can have issues with the transmission and/or engine if not used and maintained properly. Good luck and welcome to the T@B world!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited May 2016
    I like the Ford Explorer Sport Trac between 2002 and 2009. My first tow vehicle was a 2002 with the 4.0 V6 - 5K towing capacity. I did have to have the hitch receiver put on. Factory part that bolted on. I also added the 7-pin and all the wiring myself.

My current one is a 2009 with the 4.6 V8 and a 7K towing capacity. They have 5 passenger seating and the back seat folds down, and has a short truck bed to put all the "dirty" stuff in. The 2009 has a complete tow package with the charge line, isolation relay all built in. Included a pigtail wire to plug the brake controller in if needed. (I don't as I have surge breaks). The Sport Trac also has vinyl floors so no vehicle carpeting to get dirty. I added an ARE Camper Shell Cap to the 2009, so can put lots of stuff in the back, and not have to put anything extra in the T@B.

A transmission cooler is standard on both trucks.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    pebblesporterpebblesporter Member Posts: 10
    dmerzbac, you said your rav4 was not adequate to tow.   So I'm assuming you do not have the V6 one.    I have a 2012 rav4 V6 and the specs say it can haul up to 2000 lbs, which is way more than the T@B.    It is a breeze pulling it.  The key is finding an older model with V6, as Toyota quit making V6's on their newer models because of mileage.   But if you need the power, that's what you need.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    dmerzbac, you said your rav4 was not adequate to tow.   So I'm assuming you do not have the V6 one.    I have a 2012 rav4 V6 and the specs say it can haul up to 2000 lbs, which is way more than the T@B.    It is a breeze pulling it.  The key is finding an older model with V6, as Toyota quit making V6's on their newer models because of mileage.   But if you need the power, that's what you need.
    The dry weight of a "typical" Little Guy T@B is 1670 lbs. This does not include food in your fridge, clothes, camping supplies, propane, nor battery. Please check your manual to see exactly how much your Rav4 can tow in addition to the contents of your vehicle. I believe that is called GWVR. 

I'm not trying to start an arguement and will not argue with you. There are many discussions here on the forum concerning under-sized tow vehicles, insurance and legal liabilities. The search box is in the upper right corner of this page. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I think the Rav4 V-6 is only rated for 3500 lbs. if it has the factory tow package. Otherwise it is 2000 lbs. My Rav4 is a 2014 model with 1500 lb. tow capacity - not nearly enough. It's why I'm looking for a new TV.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    1. Keep in mind for every 1,000ft elevation gain you lose ~3% horsepower unless you are running a turbo or super charger (forced air injection). 
    2. If you vehicle sags after hooking up the trailer perhaps you can install an Airlift 1000.  Firestone makes a similar kit.  Or you can add a spring if running leaf springs vs coils.  PM me and I can explain more.  I had an Airlift 1000 on my old TV and it works great.  Will be installing it on my new TV after I rip out the stock suspension and add a little lift.
    3. As already stated, you can get a 7-pin to 4-pin adapter so you do not have to have a 7-pin and 4-ping socket.  Up to you how you want to set it up.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Wow source3! I didn't know about the 3% loss of hp for every 1000 ft. I learn so much here.

@dmerzbac I would ditto everyone's advice to pay the extra money for the factory tow package. If you go online and "build" your dream vehicle on many manufacturer's sites, you'll find if you pick the standard factory tow package the engine size options become limited. This is because of the manufacturer's recommended hp, torque and many other engine/hitch thingies (best explained by a mechanic and not a microbiologist) for towing are only shown. Other things that may be included in factory towing packages are stiffer rear springs and/or shocks, heavier alternator, wiring harnesses not installed next to hot exhausts, a tow button that will prevent excessive shifting into cruising gears, etc (just to name a few). I didn't get the option of a built-in brake controller, but those are offered in some packages too.

You don't really want to pull the absolute maximum that your TV is rated (passengers + cargo + camper). You'll get better mileage, handling, and peace of mind if your TV can pull more than you need. I tow with a mid-sized GMC Canyon pickup with factory tow package. I have a max tow of 7000 lbs. With that in mind, my hitch and hitch ball are rated for 6000 lbs. My cargo/passenger limit is 1460 lbs (as per the door sticker). With wet weight of camper, I'm probably at half capacity (except if Harvey sneaks in extra stuff.. bears... *rolls eyes*). 

Good luck finding what fits your needs the best! When you get it, picts are required ;) Happy researching!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)