Options

Yakima rack with roof top box

RyanAndLuluRyanAndLulu Member Posts: 20
edited May 2016 in Modifications & Upgrades
I have a 2015 T@B Sofitel S that I plan on putting the Yakima rack on. I would like to put a roof top box on the rack to carry chairs, a table, hoses, etc. I realize that it will be a bit tricky with the slant of the box to get things in and out of, but I feel that it out-weighs the lack of storage for all of my 'toys' which are fairly small and light weight. The box itself weighs 30lbs, so I still have ~70lbs for stuff. Also, I don't want to put the box on the TV as I plan on leaving it on my trailer with all my stuff in it so I can just hook up and head out of town. Any one try this?  

https://www.rei.com/product/826378/yakima-rocketbox-pro-12-roof-box
Girl Glamper | Austin, TX | 2018 Land Rover Discovery | 2018 T@B 400 |
Partner in Crime: Black pug (Lulu)

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited May 2016
    There's been several Yakima threads and as I recall, someone was discussing storage containers - If you search (upper right) for "Yakima", you should be able to find it I'd think.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Just a comment about the rack - check the tightness of the hex bolts in the shoes periodically (the thingies that hold the bars to the rails - and keep a spare hex wrench in case you drop one in the gutter!).

The trailer is small and bounces more than you think. Just with the spare tire in the basket (~40 lbs), I've had to tighten and re-align the bars to level them a couple of times in the last 4-5 outings. Not a lot of re-centering, but enough to drive this OCD person nuts (cm or so?). I've had Yakima racks on the roof of past vehicles and not had to retighten anything, so it's probably just the angle this goes on the T@B.

The instructions with my rack and basket rated the total weight capacity at 70 lbs total. Things change over time and this might not apply to your setup. Just an FYI.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 160
    I'm thinking I would like to carry gasoline for my little generator on the back rack of my MaxS Outback which I don't actually own yet (It should be delivered in a month or so). Do you think this would be doable and safe? Thanks for any advise you can offer.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    Every state has different regulations. In MD, the container limit for gasoline transportation is a 5 gal, but I don't know off-hand what type of container they require (vented? - there are new container standards). Here's an example of what NY State DOT requires (https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/employee-health-safety/transporting-gasoline-diesel).

Keep in mind that water weighs over 8 lbs per gallon. Five gallons of gas will weigh pretty close. That's about 40 lbs. The max capacity of the rack with spare is 70 lbs (unless recently changed). Also, the angle the rack is at is directly pointed upwards towards the sun. Anything stored on it will get direct light and since gasoline is a volatile liquid, it's going to expand and escape. It's the fumes that readily ignite, not the liquid. A half empty tanker is more dangerous than a full one (info courtesy of my CDL trucker friend). Keep in mind that tunnels (like the one under Baltimore Harbor) may be an issue when transporting containers of gasoline or other volatile fluids.

In the end, do your research for where you live and where you are going regarding containers, how to tie them safely to your vehicle and any road restrictions that you may encounter. People transport volatile liquids safely everyday. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    BatHusbandBatHusband Member Posts: 17
    We have looked for the perfect solution for using the Yakima rack.  I have looked at at numerous roof top boxes from what the OP linked to, to ATV boxes, and so far Jeep Bags.  After this weekend's trip I have still not found the "optimal" solution.  When we 1st received the B@tT@b we had 2 boxes fabricated for much less than a standard of the shelf box (http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/35093/#Comment_35093).  We are going to contact the guys who made those boxes to see if they can come up with a solution.  We are very pleased with the original two we have and look forward to see what they think.  More news as it develops.
    B@t T@b, the 2016 Max S Outback, pulled by Bane, the 2014 Honda Ridgeline - REDuFresne's husband.

May the flames from the bridges I have burned light my path going forward.
  • Options
    RlethbriRlethbri Member Posts: 38
    This is what is use my rack for. Also front bike tires, the bikes go on top of my TV
    Sun Valley Idaho living, 2 restaurants, 2 labs, 1 helluva wife! 2016 T@B Max-S Outback towed by. 2007 Toyota FJ Crusier
  • Options
    BatHusbandBatHusband Member Posts: 17
    Also, to follow up with what Ratkity said, you may want to check out Loctite red thread thread locker on Amazon.  It is an excellent product that really helps screw threads stick to, well, other screw threads.
    B@t T@b, the 2016 Max S Outback, pulled by Bane, the 2014 Honda Ridgeline - REDuFresne's husband.

May the flames from the bridges I have burned light my path going forward.
  • Options
    Also, to follow up with what Ratkity said, you may want to check out Loctite red thread thread locker on Amazon.  It is an excellent product that really helps screw threads stick to, well, other screw threads.
    Loctite is a good product. The red one is permanent (dem threads be locked together tight!) so if you want to move the rack up or down some, you might want to stick to the same product, but the "blue" version.