Options

Long-Term Travel - Computers/WiFi

dawndawn Member Posts: 2
edited May 2016 in Tips & Tricks
Thanks to those who responded for the helpful hints.  In preparation for this time of travel, I have started paying our bills online through company e-mail notification and then paying directly through our bank.  I was more concerned about the computer situation.  Right now we only have a at-home tower computer, and I have access to computers at work, but I have never used WiFi.  I will be purchasing a tablet in the near future.  (Any suggestions on which one?)  I was concerned about WiFi and my ability to access the internet on the road so that I can pay bills, find nearby campgrounds, google directions, etc.     

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    A tablet that has only wifi won't be much use unless you are somewhere that provides wifi and my understanding is most campgrounds don't have wifi, or adequate wifi. A smartphone might be a better bet since you can use the cellular network to access the internet. You would want to make sure you had an adequate data plan, obviously.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Also, I am leery of doing anything financial over public wifi.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    I have a Wifi Hotspot from Verizon - as long as I can get a verizon 3G signal (preferably 4G, but 3G is usable if you're patient) I can have up to 10 of my devices on the Internet - typically including our 2 Wifi-only tablets, a smartphone, and 1 or 2 laptops. If a grandkid is along, that adds a device or 2.  This provides access where I can't find public wifi (of which I am leery as well, and don't use when I need to log in to a site), and provides better privacy for online financial transactions.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited May 2016
    I have an iPhone and iPad - both with cell capabilities and a data plan. I also have a MacBook and can connect to the internet through either of the other two devices (called hotspotting). For added security, you can run VPN software - I use Cloak - that sets up a private encrypted tunnel for things like online banking etc.
    I only use public wifi - have only ever had it in one campground - for general surfing, downloading. Public wifi is generally available at libraries, coffee shops, some food chains, etc.
    I'd vote Apple as most things like this are oretty easy to do - And if you have an Apple store near you, all the traing, explanation you need free.

Edit-Add: Forgot - There's also a VPN built in to the iPhone/iPad - Just need to turn it on in settings
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I recommend doing buy the ebook from TechnoMadia. Just do an interview etc search for them. They are experts and break everything down very well. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Would agree you need an expert if you're wiring an RV for total communications - like need to be online for work no matter what - but otherwise it's pretty simple.
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    I agree with Pxlated. I'm into apple products. I have an iPhone and iPad. I have Verizon on my phone and use its personal hotspot feature to activate wifi on my iPad. Apple also offers "find friends" which allows other apple users to follow you. Good safety feature for travelers. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    I've been pleasantly surprised that over my travels, I've had a Verizon signal of some kind most of the time (or within a few miles drive when really boondocking). The least used piece of gear in my bag has been my cell phone booster. That said, your mileage may vary depending on areas traveled.
    Biggest dead zones so far - National Parks.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Apple here, also. I have AT&T cell service, which is not always the best in the Southwest, but great here in Indiana. I use the iPhone the most with its data package, but I also have a hot spot that I share with my sister (we each have a unit). The hot spot boosts my cell signal a bit, and gives me more data to use.  I use it for my Mac and my iPad.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”