Options

Q: How many days dry camping?

Hi. I'm looking at some T@bs locally, but my dealer can't answer all my questions. About how many days can you go before you have to dump the black and gray water, and refill clean water?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It depends, seriously, on your usage. I use 3 to 4 gallons of fresh water per day for shower, toilet and washing dishes. I can go 3 or 4 days before dumping the gray water, 7 days for the black tanks. But if I'm at the dump, I dump both tanks (black first, gray next). I carry two 4-gallon Reliance water jugs and fill them up and replenish the water fresh water tank daily, just to make sure I get my morning shower. 

Some people use less water, some more. I replaced my shower wabd wuth a water saver model and it definitely saves water. 

This is a solo female traveler. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    swei0009swei0009 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks. That's helpful. We would be two females, tired of tent camping, and probably try to use campground/park facilities as much as possible.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I use about 2/3 to 1/2 what Verna uses - Have all no-stick pans, bowls etc so can first wipe out and use only about a cup to wash/rinse. Showers are great but a spnge bath uses less water so which I do depends on where my next water/dump stop will be.
    In addition to the fresh water tank I carry an extra 3-4 gallons.
    Your asking about dry camping - A lot of campgrounds that are considered "dry" still have bathrooms of some type - Usually a vault toilet so ones black tank may not fill as fast. If "boondocking" you're reliant on the T@B.
    My biggest limiting factor is food. I like to cook so don't eat much canned goods. Need to make a grocery run more often than water or dump. There are sime areas where you are really out in the boonies but for a lot of the country your somewhat close to civilization (10-20 miles) The furthest I've been from a grocery store has been 75 miles.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    One thing I love is my hot shower in the morning, so I do use more water than some, less than others ;). And I do agree with PXLated that fresh food is a deciding factor for when to make a grocery store run, and if I'm out, why not find an RV dump at the same time. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Since I'm not a fan of fresh food and eat Beenie Weenies and Spaghettioes out of the can (or sponge food off my sister), my limiting factor is the gray water tank and/or generator gas (for cloudy days - have solar for sunny). I like my showers. I never feel really clean with a sponge bath (or wipes). I carry extra water as well (in 2.5 gallon tanks - easier for this old woman to lift). I can make the black tank last longer by using "poo powder" bags or ones called Double Doody bags if local facilities are non-existent or "iffy". 

Since I normally stay in State or National Parks, I can always use their potty facilities. There are generator hours if days are cloudy as there's no electricity in the most National Parks where I stay. 

Keep in mind that Verna and PXL are Full-Timers and travel extensively and I'm a locally-traveled Weekend Warrior. The longest time I've stayed in one place is a week, and there was a water source to haul water from and vault potties. Any time I've had to totally pack out what I pack in has only been 4 days. Still took extra water and had friends in their teardrops around in case I forgot something (plus they hate my Beenie Weenies and I end up taking home more food than I bring LOL). 

There are great blogs on water conservation in a camper while boondocking on the net, plus, there's nothing like just "doing it". See what you are comfortable with after reading different tips. What are you willing to compromise on? Are you on a strict budget? How much water can you lift to fill the fresh water tank port (if you like showers)? Sink baths work too if you want to keep the fresh water tank for flushing or dish rinsing. 

I work on the philosophy that just jumping in with both feet and doing something teaches me a whole lot more than over-researching things! Go get that T@B and do it! :)

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I'm with Ratkity, experience is in fact the best teacher. Being a relatively new T@B owner, I found out research is great, but the "hands on" teaches you a whole lot more! I'm still learning :s , so don't be afraid to get your feet wet, even if you just walk in instead of jumping!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Sponge baths - It's all in the rinse cycle :-)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Must.wash.mental.image.from.... arrrrrrrggggggg! too late. *sigh* LOL :wink:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    swei0009swei0009 Member Posts: 18