T@B entry door hinge; under the T@B

beachloverbeachlover Member Posts: 4
Not having bought a T@B yet, just looking right now, I was wondering what the entry door hinges are like (are they on the outside of the trailer--can they be taken off easily); and I was wondering what the bottom of the T@B is like (are the water tanks enclosed, are they heated in any way, are any wires exposed, is everything enclosed?).  I've just looked at photos on the internet--haven't seen a T@B in person yet.

Comments

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Don't know why you'd want to take the hinges off but here's what they look like...

Riveted to frame, screws in door.

Water tanks (black, gray, and fresh) are exposed and no, they are not heated. About the only place you find internal tanks are the big rigs. For cold weather camping you winterize the fresh and waste systems. The Alde heater is a sealed glycol systen so it works all year long.
    Underneith, about the only wires exposed are the electric brake wires. All others enter the T@B behind/below the battery/propane tank cover. As mentioned, the tanks and their lines are exposed.

The bottom of the T@B has a membrane covering the whole bottom.
  • beachloverbeachlover Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for answering so fast.  I don't want to take the hinges off--I was upset when I was considering the Scamp camper--that the hinges can be taken off so easily by anyone.  Plus they don't put a deadlock on their camper door.  People complained about the door swinging open as they traveled down the road.  People ended up putting their own deadbolt on the door.  Just checking out the safety factor of the T@B--if I buy one I am an older woman traveling alone so I like to check out every thing I can think of.  Again, thanks for answering so fast.
    Ahhhh.
    You'll find a number of us older types traveling by ourselves. At least half, women.
    As far as the hinge, the rivits and screws are inside the hinge as you can see so not exposed. But, if someone wanted in I suppose they could pound the hinge pins out.
    Do go check out a T@B in person - I found the build quality a lot better than the Scamps I looked at.
  • TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

Thanks for your comments--pictures helped a lot. 
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    PXLated said:
    Ahhhh.
    You'll find a number of us older types traveling by ourselves. At least half, women.
    As far as the hinge, the rivits and screws are inside the hinge as you can see so not exposed. But, if someone wanted in I suppose they could pound the hinge pins out.
    Do go check out a T@B in person - I found the build quality a lot better than the Scamps I looked at.
    PXL is not a female, but I did suggest a skirt - I think men call them kilts (see coffee thread :wink: ). I'm one of those older women that solo camp and do weekend warrior trips with an international group called The TearJerkers (just tiny trailers - even ground dwellers welcome!). One day I'd like to full-time or do half-year full time. I'd like to escape that thing that PXL starts to immediately start packing up when he hears about it (s.n.o.w).  For me, it's just c.o.l.d.n.e.s.s. 

I do have to say that yesterday was HOT outside and even got a little sunburnt (was wearing sunscreen, but needed a 2nd application). 

To anyone in the path of the T.S. Bonnie, be safe (anyone in SC or at right coast beaches)! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    How do you like solo camping in your T@B Ratkity; I would like to do a 1/2 year also some day soon; like to go across country to California and travel up to Washington and Oregon coast.  I hear it's very nice up there.  Also want to do New England states.  That would be another trip though.  There is so much to see in this country--we are lucky to be living here.  Saw on youtube a woman living out of her T@B and she looked very happy about it.  I was surprised that the inside was as large as it was--standing room and using a twin size bed left room for seating...Of course like she said--the main reason to camp is to get outside when the weather is good.  Like to get the T@B because it is easy to pull.  Not really worried about traveling alone but when I saw the Scamp (which I was at first excited about) entry door hinges, and a woman on the Scamp forum was upset about it,  I was very disappointed.  So I came back to looking again at the T@B's.  T@B hinges look very sturdy and the deadbolt is included. 
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Starting with the 2016 models (or thereabouts), the TABs starting coming with plastic sheeting covering the undercarriage.  The tanks are enclosed by this sheeting.  They are not heated.  There is no venting (for heat) from the cabin into the enclosed area under the TAB.  I too was very concerned about freezing tanks and lines before purchasing my TAB.  However, have not had any problems after many trips with temps in the low 30's.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    Sustained 30 or below might do you in though Outback.
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    PXLated said:
    Sustained 30 or below might do you in though Outback.
    Agreed. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    Pfffft, do the camper in?? It would do me in. Dat's wut the wheels are fer.... moving to warmer temps!!! :wink:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Most of my trips are solo in my T@B. Hubby comes with me on one, maybe two trips per year. I do stay in established campgrounds with at least electric. I just recently completed 18 nights over 4 states and 7 campgrounds. Most nights were joining friends, but a few of the stops were completely solo overnighters. I feel completely safe in my little T@B. Mine is an older model with no waste tanks and no wetbath, but I do have a portapotty for middle of the night. As a solo, it is so nice to set up the back half of the bed and still have seating room.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
    How do you like solo camping in your T@B Ratkity; I would like to do a 1/2 year also some day soon; like to go across country to California and travel up to Washington and Oregon coast.  I hear it's very nice up there.  Also want to do New England states.  That would be another trip though.  There is so much to see in this country--we are lucky to be living here.  Saw on youtube a woman living out of her T@B and she looked very happy about it.  I was surprised that the inside was as large as it was--standing room and using a twin size bed left room for seating...Of course like she said--the main reason to camp is to get outside when the weather is good.  Like to get the T@B because it is easy to pull.  Not really worried about traveling alone but when I saw the Scamp (which I was at first excited about) entry door hinges, and a woman on the Scamp forum was upset about it,  I was very disappointed.  So I came back to looking again at the T@B's.  T@B hinges look very sturdy and the deadbolt is included. 
    I love it. When I had the popup in my younger years, I had that setup and takedown down to a science doing it by myself. Took that out all throughout TX, LA, AL, MS, GA, SC, NC, VA to a lot of organized bicycle rides. Was camperless for a while until I fell in love with teardrops. My little LG Reverse tear was a joy! Two big golden retrievers and I in a queen-sized bed. Never had to worry about heat if it was cold out LOL. The fan and windows provided so much ventilation and we camped at higher elevations in the summer, no need for AC. 

Now I have the T@B and am getting use to the T@j M@j@l! It's huge and feels so so big inside to me! My weekend camping is about 50-50 solo vs The Group of crazy Tearjearkers from the Chesapeake Bay Chapter (luv them crazy peeps). Getting used to a camper when you are with friends is a blessing. They can cheer you on and make you laugh at yourself and mistakes while telling you their own horror stories "There Ah wuz, tryin' to back up mah beloved tear..." plus they are always there to help. 

Regarding the sturdiness and build quality, I've always been impressed by LG/PV units. That Reverse Tear was a tough little trailer!! My popup was a high quality Coleman (as old as it was - it lived during 13 yrs of me!). That there's no deadbolt on the Scamp is surprising.  I'm still learning about my T@B and love it! Just get out there and as Nike says "Just Do It!".