Options

Adjusting the Yakima rack

Was thinking over the weekend, has anyone moved the "tray" lower on the Yakima slide mount to make it more accessible?  Being of "short stature" doing so would make it much easier to load and unload as the case may be.  I am concerned that moving the rack downward will somehow upset the balance and attachment to the T@B and cause some havoc and pull itself out of the mounts to the T@B roof.
B@t T@b, the 2016 Max S Outback, pulled by Bane, the 2014 Honda Ridgeline - REDuFresne's husband.

May the flames from the bridges I have burned light my path going forward.

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I mounted the rack myself, so I know the rails are in the aluminum horizontal support bars to the roof (8" center to center). That's why you see the Yakima pre-drilled holes empty in some places if you look closely at your rails.

My tire basket is about 5" from the bottom, but the spare can be adjusted another rung up if you think there's a balance issue. I personally couldn't feel a difference when I had it up 10" higher to the rail end vs 5" to the end. The place where the tire would be underneath the camper is about the same location is where it sits on the rack. Since sway is a product of too light of tongue weight and the tire was supposed to be in the back already, I don't think there's a balance issue. The roof is certainly heavy duty enough to support the rails, basket and spare (just don't include me in there). 

Just FYI, to get that tire on and off, you'll need some sort of step if you are 5'6" or under! It's a bit of a reach. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 160
    My T@B MaxS Outback isn't delivered to my dealer yet but I'm trying to figure things out as much as I can before we go on this huge trip out west. I don't have much time between having the T@B and needing to leave for our 40th anniversary camping trip. It looks like I'll need to carry gasoline for a small generator and I wonder if the rack can be used for that, perhaps with a RotoPax system? Or, probably a lot less expensive, just strap in a thee gallon regular plastic gas container. Can the tire in the rack be moved around enough so a gas can could fit? Would this be unsafe?
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358

A plastic Jerry Can weighs about 9.5 lbs.  5 gallons of gas weighs 31.5 lbs. (6.3 lbs. x 5).  Total of 41 lbs. plus strapping to hold it on.  I recall previous posts about the rack having a reduced useful load because it is on an angle (not horizontal like on the roof of a vehicle).  With the Outback spare tire, the rack only has about 25 lbs. remaining for extra items (if memory serves).  So be careful putting extra weight on the Yakima rack.  As an alternative, the front platform is a great location for jerry cans.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 160
    OutbackAZ- Is your carry strap system just bolted on? May I have the brand name or a source name. I also need to figure where to carry a little generator. A lock box on the platform would be convenient but I'll need to watch the tongue weight. I really appreciate your help.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    yes, straps are bolted to platform. The cans you see in the photo are water cans. Just search Amazon for jerry gas cans and related holder. Lots to choose from. You can just strap the generator to the platform.  Haven't seen any boxes for the platform large enough for a small generator. TonyD has one, but he's a "Mod God." Careful with any box lid hitting the white handles on each side of the TAB. Don't buy anything until you get your TAB.  You may find other solutions.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.