Options

Bed Rails & Slats

stanmstanm Member Posts: 49
I posted this on the old forum in January but that was during the "upheaval" on the old site.
Kitty & I wanted the flexibility to use the fold-down table outside while keeping the bed made in the T@B. I have also been wakened by the "give" in the table in the middle of the night while sleeping. Our solution was to have rails installed like you have in the old style "post table". The folding table now sits firmly on the rails and if we decide to use the table outside, we can replace the table with the slats.

Thanks to Little Guy for the parts and our dealer, Apache RV, for the great install.

I posted photos in a new album in the Yahoo Group photo section called Bed Rails and Slats.

Enjoy...

Stan & Kitty - Seattle - 2014 T@B Q, Silver & Orange, 2013 Outback

Comments

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Hi, Stan -- I have "bed rail" envy! ;)) Do you have the Alde system? I want to install the bed rails, too, but I need to investigate more closely what I am drilling into, as there are electrical parts and Alde parts under that bench. I'll check out your photos in the Yahoo Group.
    Beth, 2013 Subaru Forester, 2014 T@B S M@xx
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Yes I have the Alde. My dealer, Apache RV installed these for me, while the parts came from Little Guy.
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    I see now, thanks for the pics of the bed rails and slats.
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Thanks for sharing Stan, looks great!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    The rails are a great idea and I added them last year as well. Easy and inexpensive to do, pretty much as described above, and keeps the table from rocking around when in "bed" mode.

image image

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    I am pretty happy with this install, much nicer looking then my cabinet springs, though I think I should have given the wood a nice coat of polyurethane first.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Took me a bit to figure out what everyone meant by needing to install "bed rails" My T@B came with the pedestal table, and the rails were already installed. Design is to take the pedestal off and place the top on the rails to extend the bed. Since I usually travel alone (except for the dog), I will rarely be using the extended bed and just hadn't given the rails a second thought. I can see, though, where they would be a nice addition if you have the fold down table. BTW, not using the table either as I took it out for added space and will be using folding wooden TV trays when I need a table. Easy to carry and easy to store. Nice job guys.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    joansiejoansie Member Posts: 19
    I'm in the process of making a platform to replace the table. One reason is to reduce the weight. Also to leave the bed set up or to use the area as a u-shape couch. We have a lightweight aluminium folding table when we want it.
    Ron and Joan, 2007 T@B Fireball, 2010 Forester The Pull T@B
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    I had bed slats made for t@B. Picked them up today. Beautiful birch. Look so much like the 2 that came with T@B.
    We will leave the table at home when we travel. Gives us lots of room in cabin when needed.
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    CorfuCorfu Member Posts: 51
    Any chance for a picture with the slats installed (sans bedding on top) so I can see how it is done?
    Steve
    Maryland
    2014 T@B S Maxx "T@BOO"
    2005 Honda Pilot
  • Options
    Evelyn, that is pretty much what I do on the rare occasions I have camped alone without Becky.  It works well to just leave the table up, and since I can sleep across the T@B, I have the nice twin bed in the back.

I like the table though, I find it very handy to have to take out of the T@B and use for cooking outside.  The downside of it is it does get in the way inside.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Most Dutchmen T@B owners ditched the table and use only bed slats. I occasionally bring the table for use in the add-a-room.  I think my table may be a bit different than LG's table, but I like that it's very sturdy.  
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    Steve, Here are some photos of my installation. Parts provided by LG, installation by my dealer, Apache RV in Seattle.

Here is one of the rails with the table sitting on it.

These are the slats that LG provided. They use the same material as the table top.

This is with the three slats in place.

This is the view under the table when it is lowered and used for the bed platform. As you can see the table feet don't sit on the floor in the lowered position making for a very stable be platform. You can also see that the rails are installed just above the output vents for the Alde radiator.  We use the table so this gives us plenty of flexibility. We expect to use the slats more and keep the table outside on longer stays and in warmer climates.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    We saw some 2015 T@Bs delivered to the dealer last week, with bed rails already installed by LG.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    It depends upon the model, methinks. I saw rails on CS models, but have none on my S (which has a lion's share of the bed consisting of the fold down rear seatback).

I saw those extra table portions in the CS we considered when shopping

I still want bedslats, but I will have to figure out the best way... where the rails are, above, there is a vent for the Alde system in mine.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    CorfuCorfu Member Posts: 51
    edited April 2014
    Thanks for posting! XPADREX, it looks like stanm has the Alde system too. We definitely need to do something. The LG table is just too big when set up as a table inside. A folding tv tray table is wonderful when not using the bed. It really opens up the interior. Also, I was sleeping closest to the front of the trailer on our recent outing. The corner cutout on the S model table (same as seen above) leaves a big unsupported section of the bed and that wasn't too comfortable.
    Steve
    Maryland
    2014 T@B S Maxx "T@BOO"
    2005 Honda Pilot
  • Options
    I've never seen the slats AND table.  I don't think the Dutchman table goes that low to use both.  Also, our table is very stable for use with the bed, it's just heavy and prevents us from storing bags underneath because of the legs.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    Crystal, my 2008 had both. I believe the table did rest on the rails, although I leave the table home and carry slats now.
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • Options
    I assume you bought your 2008 used, and the first owner installed slats?  I have both, and can use them together, but don't.  We put in slats so that we wouldn't have to bring the table indoors. 

• Options
    I bought it used, but I'm certain the original owner did not install rails. Probably another case of Dutchmen doing this and that as they built them.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I don't think Dutchmen ever installed bed slats...at least I've never run across it.  They did do some different things at the end of their production in the late part of 2009 using parts and items they had on hand.

• Options
    PaulaKPaulaK Member Posts: 54
    edited April 2014
    We saw some 2015 T@Bs delivered to the dealer last week, with bed rails already installed by LG.

My husband, Larry, and I are taking delivery on our 2015 T@B M@xx S tomorrow. Will update you on the presence of bed rails. I'd email our dealer, but I may have already exceeded my allowed quota. Thank goodness for all of you. We've learned a lot while lurking! Paula and Larry 2015 T@B S Maple Grove, MN

Paula & Larry | 2015 T@B S M@XX "Serenity"| 2014 Subaru Outback | Maple Grove, MN
  • Options
    Oh, Crystal, I know...on the Dutchmen T@B, the L floorplan would need rails because, without the back couch, the table doesn't span the whole 60" length of the aisle. It comes with a couple of planks to fill the remainder, and they had to rest on rails.
  • Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    edited April 2014
    My 2014 came with bed rails.
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    Exactly... I believe we will find that models whicn require additional table sections to make the bed support will have them, and models with the U shaped setup (Including S) will not, as they only support required is the table itself, and no additional tabletop type sections.

Less mode year, more model.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    XPADREX said:
    Exactly... I believe we will find that models whicn require additional table sections to make the bed support will have them, and models with the U shaped setup (Including S) will not, as they only support required is the table itself, and no additional tabletop type sections. Less mode year, more model.
    In theory you are correct. However, for the U- shaped floor plans, the table support in the center of the table does not support weight out at the edges of the table so the table rocks when it's in bed mode and the bending on the frame and pivot mechanism will cause it to fail eventually I'm afraid. The table needs to be supported with the rails, hence why most people have to add them themselves.
  • Options
    Kristi, my apologies.  I missed that you have the rare "L" floorplan.  That's a different story. lol  I've seen so few of those.
    Our table doesn't rest on the slats, but is a little higher.  If you have the Dutchman, the table makes a comfortable bed and does not wobble.  Dutchman Q owners don't need both, unless they just don't want to mess with the table.

• Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    edited April 2014
    CS-S. Yes, extra slats are required to support bed.
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    No apology needed, Crystal. I knew the rails in mine were unusual, but it never occurred to me in all this time that the floor plan had to have the rails!
  • Options
    I am sitting in my t@b, and have realized that I think I can mount rails confidently over the Alde vent slots in the two side bench seats. I like having options. LOL

I think I'm having about as much fun prepping this t@b as I will using it. \:D/