Options

Has anyone had problems mounting the spare to the jack column?

One of my next projects will be to move the spare tire out onto the tongue. I've seen several methods, but the easiest seems to be to mount it  so it is sitting on the tongue and attached to the jack column. 

Are there any issues with doing this that I should be aware of? I have a new trailer with electric brakes, and plenty of tongue weight capacity, so I'm sure size and weight won't be an issue. More concerned with the strength of the jack column and possible damage to it. 
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    I just did this, so can't provide any time-tested wisdom. What is clear, however, is that if you position the bracket carefully, the trailer frame will carry the weight of the tire, with very little strain on the jack column. It's pretty low on the list of things I'll worry about.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2016
    I was concerned about it, but with the tire sitting on the tongue I think the crank post is mainly acting as a stabilizing force, not doing much with the weight.

I've leaned on that post a bit when moving the trailer around, and it doesn't flex at all, so I think it's pretty solid. 

I don't think I'd mount the tire exclusively on the post though.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I will add that the jack column feels a lot sturdier than the bracket that was holding the tire under the trailer--that moved quite bit as I was wrestling off the rusted lug nuts. I ended up removing the bracket all together for fear that I would drag it on something and peel off the floor of the trailer!

2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    @ScottG I was wondering about removing the mount under the trailer - is it pretty straightforward what you have to do?
  • Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    Make sure to use 2-1/4" muffler clamps to spread load evenly...

i spray painted them black to help with rust.
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Photomom said:
    @ScottG I was wondering about removing the mount under the trailer - is it pretty straightforward what you have to do?
    Easy peasy
    Just two nuts.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    MurrayMurray Member Posts: 1
    None at all. I did it last May and have since put 14,000 Km on the trailer with no issues. I also removed the original rear underneath mount. Like Photo on said only two nuts to undo. Re bracket look for one with 2 1/4" mount spacings. I used 3 x 2 1/4" muffler clamps. On a regular basis check the jack stand bolts. Only issue is a tire cover.
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    Photomom said:
    Easy peasy
    Just two nuts.
    Yup. And they came off a lot easier than the lug nuts holding the spare. And that was a nice sunny day lying in the driveway with only one year of rust and road abuse holding them on.

Note that the bolts themselves are attached from somewhere inside the trailer. They are not very long, so I just left them in place.  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We tried mounting the spare to the jack column but there is no way to put the spare tire cover on completely with the tire sitting on the frame. And DH insists we need a spare tire cover in order to prevent UV damage to the tire.

Has anyone solved this problem?

We have it mounted on the frame now (completely covered by the spare tire cover) but because we have the diamond plate tank cover and front platform, it is pretty close to the coupler and doesn't give us much leeway when turning to the right.
  • Options
    Maybe put the cover on first, then set the tire in place and bolt it up?

Or skip the cover and rotate the tire every once in while to spread the UV love around?
    2015 T@B S