Options

Gray water from outside shower

We are refining our CS- S order plans.  The outside shower seems like a handy feature, but for those of you who have used a shower tent, how do you drain the gray water and where would you use a shower tent - camground?  Boondocking?  I thought I read that many places do not allow gray water draining onto the ground, so I wonder about this option.

Thanks,

Sharon
Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It is illegal to drain gray water onto the ground, even when boondocking. The Trekker shower/privy I bought from Cabelas (the shower/privy tent has a different name now--Copper something or other?) has a floor that will contain the shower water, and you can then drain it into a container to be disposed of properly. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Verna - It's not universally illegal. Totally allowed (as well as "cat" holes) in some boondocking areas.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The Paha Que Tepee has a floor accessory that catches grey water and has a place to connect a hose so you can collect it in another container.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,531
    Thank you.  So, if no dumping gray water is allowed, I guess you use it for rinsing things off.  Or, we will need a portable tank.
  • Options
    Restless_NativeRestless_Native Member Posts: 116
    Sam, I got one on my new CS-S. I camp in very sandy areas (Gulf coast) and wanted to be able to rinse feet/legs off and not get sand in gray water tank. So plain water ok. Add detergent = gray water. I'm happy with the choice.  
    Amanda, Ft. Myers, FL Ag@tha 2017 T@B CS-S  , TV: 2013 Chevy Equinoz LTZ

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Good for dog rinsing too!
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Yes, I can see the value of getting rid of the sand.  I have vacillated on the outside shower.  I am thinking, with a shower tent, it may provide a more spacious shower, but only where we can drain it.  Not sure about using a portable tank with boondocking.  Seems like it may be a challenge to lift it into the van for disposal.  On the other hand, it would extend our time boondocking - more water capacity.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    SAM said:
    Yes, I can see the value of getting rid of the sand.  I have vacillated on the outside shower.  I am thinking, with a shower tent, it may provide a more spacious shower, but only where we can drain it.  Not sure about using a portable tank with boondocking.  Seems like it may be a challenge to lift it into the van for disposal.  On the other hand, it would extend our time boondocking - more water capacity.
    If your campground has an RV dump or a gray water dump, the portable tanks can be attached to your hitch on your tow vehicle to be towed slowly to the RV dump. (Caution, in Long Term Visitor Areas, they do not allow plastic wheels on the portable tanks. The wheels must be rubber to prevent a tire breaking and accidentally dumping the contents.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    We have an Outback S but had them install an outdoor shower as well for spritzing off after kayaking.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    Towing the portable tank is an option if there is a station.  I haven't heard from anybody that has experience dumping gray water on the ground.  If it comes down to it, we may resort to buying a shower or jumping in the river!