Options

how long could I reasonably expect to boondock?

We haven't yet purchased a T&B and are in the process of figuring out what we want and how we want things set up.  We're looking at the 12V/110 fridge rather than the 3-way because I understand that it draws less 12V power and we're wanting to go with solar to back up the battery. My question is if I go with an 80 AH deep cycle battery, which is the highest AH size 24 battery that I've located (size 24 fits battery box that LG provides) and pair it with a 100w portable solar kit, similar to what Renogy offers, how long could I reasonably expect to boondock, running the fridge, the 3-way vent fan, occasional use of the water pump, the LED cabin lights plus charging phones, ipads and the like?  Hearing of any experience that anyone's had with a similar set up would be appreciated.

My initial thought was to purchase a higher AH rated deep cycle battery, but they're larger and I'm not certain what's involved in the retrofit, whether a larger battery and box will fit, etc.  It's a little complicated in that the closest dealer and the one we've been talking to is 2 hrs. away so I can't physically look in the tub and see what will work.  Plus, when it's time to pick it up, the ideal scenario would be to just drop our battery in and go.  Thanks.

Bill & Carrie,

Fayetteville, AR

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Hi Bill,

Good question and it depends on your energy use of course.  Check over in the Little Guy forum and look at the discussions on solar in the electrical discussion area.   I do some boon-docking from time to time and supplement my power usage between my tow vehicle (TV), 80 watt Zamp panel and dedicated supply line back to the trailer from the TV.  Considering that my 50 quart ARB freezer/frig is a low amperage draw and my other uses (e.g., LED lights, Fantastic Vent, TV, CPAP, etc.) are sporadic I am able to keep things charged up nicely with the Zamp panel.  I believe with the 100 watt Renogy you should be fine as they normally say 1 AH to 1W of solar as a measuring guide or as a rulke of thumb as I've been told....  Your best bet would be to test things out, ensure that you have a dedicated circuit that charges the trailer battery via your vehicle alternator for charging via travel, monitor your voltage with an LED 12 volt DC meter and make adjustments accordingly (e.g., consider adding an additional battery, generator, etc.).  I know that when I am in the west in areas like Arizona, Texas, etc. I can supplement my power draw easily with my panel and thus far have been good to go as I have a larger golfcart size battery in my diamond plate toolbox on the front of my Silver Shadow.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I don't think you can get a group 27 battery in a stock T@B box, so 80Ah is about as good as it gets. If you're not running the fridge on propane (which we do and like) I think you're looking at 2 days boondocking. Remember, solar isn't much more than a trickle charger...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    It is possible to fit a larger battery or even two batteries if you modify the placement of the propane tank and battery holder. I moved the propane tank to the front center of the LP cover and mounted two 6v batteries to either side behind it. I have a total of 225 ah along with 300 watts of solar. Much more than a trickle charger. I run two refridges (Norcold 2-way and an ARB) along with the fan, TV/DVD, lights, charging devices, etc. I can boondock indefinitely.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    I've had similar concerns about what size battery will fit, but after doing some reading on the other forum and talking to our dealer, I'm leaning toward a 100 AH, size 27 battery and figuring that we'll be able to make it fit. I knew that Lisa worked out how to fit 2 batteries in the tub, so that was encouraging. Being a total newbie keeps this whole discussion on a hypothetical level, but I know from our tent camping experiences that we prefer staying in one place for awhile, using it as a base camp to explore an area. My hope is to be able to do this without a generator or having to run the TV to charge the battery. I realize this will be a trial and error deal, I'm just trying to make the best decisions going in. I'm thinking I'll be able to build off this set up and add a battery and more solar capacity if needed and as funds become available. Love the idea of being able to boondock indefinitely! Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My simple experience with my 100 ah AGM battery is that, even without using my 80 Watt Zamp solar panel, I had plenty of battery power left after about 18 hours of using some lighting, charging the cell phone, running the ARB, and running the Fantastic Fan for a while two different times during my trip out to the Western Gathering.  I've never seen the voltage drop below 12.5V, and that was in my garage after not having the Battery Tender connected for about 1 1/2 weeks.  That 100 ah battery was a great investment for me.  Yes, I had to get the larger battery box. (I do have a Silver Shadow, and not a T@B, so my battery is in the galley, hence the AGM type.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Bill, I'd consider having LG mount the propane as far to one side as possible (tight into one corner). Also ask them to put a battery holder in sized for a Group 27 battery. I'm sure it's possible, and they are typically very good about accommodating custom requests. For my installation, I put a new floor in the LP cover using angle iron and Azek. Pressure treated lumber is another option and would have the rigidity required to support the weight without the angle iron. If you think you'd ultimately want two batteries, another option would be to ask them to put the propane front and center with two Group 24 brackets behind to each side. Just some thoughts to make your process easier. I had to pull everything out and start from scratch.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Another option would be to utilize some space inside the T@B (possibly near the Alde area?) and mount a couple of extra gel cell batteries inside the trailer for added power capability.  I was out in the desert north of Quartzsite, AZ about three years ago and an editor for Camping World magazine was camped with us and showed me his set-up.  He had two gel cell type batteries in a slide out drawer inside his camper in a very tight area.  He had an inverter as well and a small satellite dish and was watching the Laker's game out in LA..  Since these batteries do not give off any gasses it would be an option and something to think about if you are looking for an extended capability for boon-docking.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Great ideas folks. Talking with my dealer, he thought the factory could provide the larger battery box. Moving the propane tank to the side is just the info I was looking for. Lisa has both batteries in the tub and while I'm not certain 2 size 27's will fit, if I eventually have the need for more capacity, locating 1 inside might be an option as Mike suggests. I've been thinking AGM type anyway, as they just seem to be less fussy. Thanks again everyone.
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Along the lines Mike was talking, I've considered adding two AGM batteries into our CS, inside the left under-seat storage, between the Alde radiator and the wheel well.  There's about 12.5 Inches height, ~7 inches width and >26 inches long space here where you can add two Lifeline GPL-30HT batteries.  In this location it carries the heavy weight of the batteries directly over the axles, and removes the weight of the battery from the tongue.  Of course you lose some interior space with this option, plus the extra wiring needed to make it work.

This will yield 300 AH capacity, which is enough for a week or so depending on loads.  The disadvantages are the extra 190 LBS weight (but minus ~50 from the tongue), and the $900+ cost of the batteries alone.  But it's an option.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Yes, 2 group 27's will probably not fit. My suggestion was that you might want to start with one group 27 since it has more amp hour capacity than a group 24. Two group 24s or two golf cart batteries are about as big as you can go in the LP cover. One thing you should know is that if you plan on adding a second battery, the batteries should be identical (same brand, age and type) On a practical level that means that you shouldn't have a wet cell battery out in the LP cover and have the second one be an AGM. You should buy two new ones at the same time. It's something to consider as you make your plans. "Adding a second battery" is a bit of a misnomer since it actually means buying two new ones. The reason behind this is that the battery bank will operate to the lowest common denominator, which will be the older battery. The older battery can draw power from the newer one, forming a current loop. That would be bad and diminish the benefit that you would be trying to achieve.
  • Options
    Great points Lisa, and thanks, good to know about 2 - size 27's not fitting. I recall reading that both batteries should be identical and while I should be able to locate a space for a 2nd size 27 AGM battery inside the T@B, I hadn't been thinking about battery age difference; food for thought. This has been very helpful y'all. Thanks
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    edited September 2014
    I swapped out battery for two Group 27 AGM's located in the wheel wells (200 amp total).  Since I've got 136 watts of solar on the roof, I have no problems going for a week (through I don't use a TV).  It also lightened the tongue weight by 40 pounds. If I'd gone the other route (battery in the original location), I could get it to fit (I actually had them installed and then decided to move them) but I ended up lowering the tongue weight by 80 pounds by moving over axle.  On my 06 T@B, I could get 2 group 27's to fit, but I didn't like the weight.  Instead, I added a box to hold all the misc. stuff for the tab (wheel blocks, gray water storage, stabilizer wrench, emergency charge cables, etc).  My car thanked me for the lighter tongue weight....
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Don't forget to factor in human waste when trying to determine how long you can boondock! A lot of people use WAG bags when boondocking for a serious length of time. The black and grey tanks can get your through a few days, but not too long.

I also use Goal Zero Light a Life lights and some of their power solutions (Sherpa 50, Escape 150) to charge cell phones, other batteries, and power the Light a Life when boondocking to conserve the T@b battery.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Tongue weight is definitely a consideration and thanks for the the info on the larger batteries fitting. The bigger issue may be getting the additional battery cost and solar capacity to fit in my budget! We're not going with an S model, but you're correct in that there are other "capacities" to consider. Jenn, on a totally unrelated topic, how do you like your Wrangler as a TV? Is your's a 6 cyl and what kind of mileage are you getting, if I might ask? Thanks again.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Bill, I sent you a PM to keep the thread on topic.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014