Options

Tips for Solo Camping

twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
I am hoping to solo camp with the T@B and my two dogs.  A friend and I took the T@B on its maiden voyage this past weekend and found that we do need two people to position/reposition the T@B, unless it's on an absolutely flat surface, which is rare.  For those that solo camp, would you please share some of your tips on how to ensure a safe (no T@B roll aways!) and fun trip?  Thanks in advance!
Beth
Minnesota
Practicing to be a wanderer
2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual

Comments

• Options
    IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    By myself, I don't try to move it. I know my limits! The only thing I've found about camping solo is that I'm not as interested in cooking, so I plan things that are very simple. For two, we enjoy making more elaborate meals. And my dogs are not always very quiet when I walk away to the bathroom, but we're all working on that!
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • Options
    deputydogdeputydog Member Posts: 103
    Pick your spot ahead of time.  Find most level.  Back in and LEAVE T@B connected to vehicle.  Figure out which side leans sideways and place some leggo levelers to that side.  Chuck wheels then disconnect trailer, leaving CHAINS  hooked on vehicle just to be sure trailer dose not take off. :). Seems good? undo chains and enjoy.  Hope I left nothing out.   Hope this helps Twocutes.

TV is a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Own 2015 T@B Maxx s/wet-bath white green. St. Clair Shores, MI.

• Options
    deputydogdeputydog Member Posts: 103
    Twocutes-  If terms chucks, leggo blocks unfamiliar to you check out items on sites such as Campers world.  Also inexpensive self stick  levelers on tab help immensely.

TV is a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Own 2015 T@B Maxx s/wet-bath white green. St. Clair Shores, MI.

• Options
    Deputydog's comment about leveling leads me to another, perhaps really naive, question, but I'm going for it, anyway.  Do you place levelers under the tires or under the stabilizers?  I must be missing something in my logic process, since I thought about trying to level this weekend with the stabilizers and a couple of 2x6 scraps, but the stabilizers become extremely difficult to crank once they make contact. :-S
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Hi, Beth2 -- Put the Lego-type levelers under the tires (other T@BBers use the BAL leveler).  The crank stabilizers are only used to "stabilize" the T@B.  I bought a pack of 8 yellow plastic leveler blocks at Camping World.  Here's a link to a similar thread in which Michigan Mike posted a video of how to use the leveling blocks.  I was clueless!!!!

http://tab-rv.com/community/#/discussion/11/lego-style-levelers/p1

;)
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

I use a BAL Leveler instead of the Lego blocks. It acts as a choke for the T@b, too!

I think keeping things simple some of he best advice a solo camper can follow.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

Never try to lift the trailer with the stabilizers.  They are not made to handle the load and you may damage them or your trailer.  The stabilizers are meant to only stabilize the trailer once it is finally positioned.  In other words, just enough contact with the ground to make the trailer stable.

I have made many mistakes while parking, unhooking, leaving, etc.  Luckily none of them have been catastrophic.  Take your time.  Don't let anything or anyone rattle you or rush you.  Check everything twice before proceeding.

The most important thing in preventing a runaway is to be sure your wheels, both sides, are chocked before unhooking. After chocking, unhook your tongue, your chains AND your cord (breakaway brake as well) before pulling away slowly.  Check twice,  Check twice.  Check twice.  Three times won't hurt either.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Simple is the best way to be when camping solo.  I spent two weeks solo in my T@Bpole in June, moving from one spot to the next nearly every night, so simple is key to making life easy.

I have a T@B Q Maxx, with the couch in the back.  I kept the couch down and a memory foam mattress set up on that (I'll do the same at Atwood since my Becky will not be joining me), kept the table up, so I have the full set up without moving things every time I move.  Simple meals make for quick and easy prep and cleanup.

I also have the mentioned BAL Leveler.  This is a great investment, makes leveling a breeze and also acts as a chock.  You simple place the trailer where you want, use the leveler to get the side to side level, chock the other wheel, unhitch and use the tongue jack to get the front to back level.  Pull away and drop the stabilizers (I made an adapter so I can use a cordless power drill).  Setup takes about five minutes if I am boondocking, slightly longer for hook-ups.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Great advice, all!  Thanks so much.  I thought the levelers went under the wheels, but was thinking how hard it would be to get everything in the correct position.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited July 2014
    Yes, the levelers go under the wheels.

With the blocks you figure out where you want the trailer and see how far off level you are.  Pull the trailer forward some and then build the blocks up to a height that would level the trailer when it sits on them.  Back the trailer up on to them, chock the wheels and unhitch.

With the BAL Leveler you put the trailer where you want.  The leveler slides in under the trailer wheel from the side.  You use an included wrench to ratchet a screw jack that lifts the leveler into the wheel and then lifts the wheel up.  Ratchet it until the trailer is level, chock the other wheel, unhitch and you are done.  Very easy and the screw jack is not difficult to ratchet up.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Looks like the BAL leveler is something I will definitely check out - thanks so much for the detailed steps and all the other suggestions!
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    You don't need to put the lego blocks under the tires unless you're unlevel, then put one or two under the low side.  I use a BAL, as I find it much easier to adjust, especially if I've turned the T@B after unhitching.  I only turn if I'm on concrete, and I have a chock behind at least one tire.  I sometimes use lego blocks under each stabilizer so they don't sink into the ground.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Be aware that the BAL leveler is HUGE! I bought one and never used it. Verna has it now. I'm not that picky about being very level. I'd change my tune if I stayed in one place for more than a couple of nights, though. The blocks are much smaller and lighter to carry. Of course if you have the 3-way fridge, that may require you to use levelers. Someone else would need to chime in on that. I have a 2-way and an ARB, both of which tolerate being tilted.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    You also need to be level if you're running the Cool Cat for an extended period, or a slight tilt to the driver's side, so that it drains properly.  I had my T@B four years before getting the BAL, but I really like that thing.  Most of us carry them in a pizza delivery bag, so it's easy to store and carry.

Last Labor Day it was very hot and muggy, and we needed to tilt the trailer because the AC began to dribble onto the floor.  Not having the BAL, and having the tent room attached, hubby had to jack the passenger side so that we could get the block under the tire.  I immediately put the BAL on the shopping list.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Hi, All -- I have the 3-way refer and I have been able to achieve a very level position with just using the Lego-blocks. The Norcold performed flawlessly.  I am satisfied so far, and for a Newbie, I'll just stick with what has worked so far until I see a need for something else.  :(
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have used the BAL leveler two times (thank you, Lisa). Both times the campsites had a 6" difference between both sides of the teardrop. Since I was staying for 3 nights each time, I did use the BAL. I have it with me on this 5 week trip, but I haven 't had to use it (knock on wood). And yes, it does take up room, but I found that if I stand it upright and lean it against the side of the Escape, I can find it and it doesn't seem to take up as much room.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    We had to use the BAL this past weekend.  It didn't look that unlevel to the eye, but we would have ended up using several lego blocks, which I don't really like to do.  We carried the BAL in the pizza bag standing on it's side in the back of the truck.  It didn't take up much space.